BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:29 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: BMW Reply with quote

Why are there none, or almost no posting regarding BMW workshop requests??
Are they THAT good 😱😂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:31 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they are shit and people don't buy them. Hence no posts here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:50 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they aren't a motorcycle, they are a lifestyle accessory and people don't try to fix their own lifestyle accessories because they might get oil on their touratech adventure suit.

Anyway, not much goes wrong with them that a bucket of water can't fix.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/R1200GS-BMW-Motorcycle-Photo/Nothing-Good-Just-Bad-Ugly/i-cdnNMJV/0/5ee63eb3/L/r1200gs_final_drive_fire-L.jpg

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on UKGSer and enjoy the tales of woe.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/R1200GS-BMW-Motorcycle-Photo/Nothing-Good-Just-Bad-Ugly/i-cdnNMJV/0/5ee63eb3/L/r1200gs_final_drive_fire-L.jpg

I'm genuinely impressed. Thinking

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:22 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

Usually ending with "and by golly, if my next one does it too, I'll be writing them a very stern letter."

No posts about mine because it's yet to give me any trouble. Yet.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:26 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Didn't all the paint come off the engine before the first service. Or was that someone elses?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

Usually ending with "and by golly, if my next one does it too, I'll be writing them a very stern letter."

Is it only the GS and its derivatives? Rogers and the other smaller ones seem fine. The SR hasn't been plagued as far as I know and the K1600 Wub seems OK.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWs are shite.

Paint fell off my K1300 14500 (Just out of BMW warranty) Four bikes I have had so I got absolutely Zero goodwill from the fuckers.

Sump of my S1000RR disintegrated at 5500 miles.

The ABS Module on the first R1200GS I had catastrophically failed at about 15000.

So in a word yes they are so reliable. Smile

I think most folk who can afford them don't 'reeeeally' use them much.

My next bike will be a Hardly Dae-anything as they seem to spend most of their Outings on the way to the shop or an the way back. Smile

My goodwill is to not use dealers except for essential BMW parts.

They get fuck all service work off me now where I did help keep their lights on during the times when most BMW owners are sat in front of their fire. (Not the 90º Drive Fire.)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:09 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^
Very Stern Letter.

stinkwheel wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Didn't all the paint come off the engine before the first service. Or was that someone elses?

Some of the paint came off the sump after about 3 years.

They do all do that, to various degrees.

OK, no trouble that calls for a "HALP WUT DOO?" Workshop thread, rather than 10 minutes and a tin of Hammerite.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's on 60-odd thousand miles which is the longest lived commuting bike I have ever had. There are good and bad points to them but I think the biggest angst comes from he fact that they cost so much but the quality isn't better enough to warrant it. You can't bitch about peeling paint on a 4-grand-new Suzuki but you don't expect it on a BMW costing 3 times as much even though there's probably little you can do for any bike ridden through winter to stop the finish going off. That said, I love mine and I'll be sorry to have to stop riding it when the new LEZ charge kicks in.

If anything I think that a lot of their 'problems' stem from being 'over engineered' in so much that stuff needs a more exacting adjustment than your typical Jap bike. One example is the rear paralever bearings. They require quite exacting torque to avoid premature failure (plus they are bloody expensive) but people still do them up like a Scammell wheel nut.

Another thing about them is that they are seemingly so low-maintenance that they are susceptible to neglected servicing. By the time something goes wrong you might find that you've gone past 2 or 3 servicing schedules.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:41 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

My next bike will be a Hardly Dae-anything as they seem to spend most of their Outings on the way to the shop or an the way back. Smile

You should get a Ducati. At least they look and sound good in the intervals between breakdowns and you don't actually EXPECT efficient/good/polite/any after sales service from an Italian company. So when their response to an engine lunching itself after 500 miles is to pick their teeth and go "No hava new one inna country. We theenk six month wait. Bike looksa good though yes?" You wont be surprised.

In otherwords, you'll be bummed by someone who is happy to be doing it rather than as company policy.

rhun
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My F800gs seems bulletproof so far. Rolling Eyes

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW's got a reputation for reliability and build quality when they were air cooled lumps that went forever. My father did 150k+ on an R100RS before having the engine rebuilt (and new clocks cos they'd packed up). I believe it's still out there somewhere having sold it a few years ago.
The reliability continued into the early oilheads and then they went all techno crazy and things started going wrong.
Lighter, more powerful, what were they thinking!
Solid, strong, dependable with odd ball character went out the window and was replaced with expensive fancyness and breakdowns/death kill.
Fcks sake. I sound like Teff. Neutral

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Mine's on 60-odd thousand miles which is the longest lived commuting bike I have ever had. There are good and bad points to them but I think the biggest angst comes from he fact that they cost so much but the quality isn't better enough to warrant it. You can't bitch about peeling paint on a 4-grand-new Suzuki but you don't expect it on a BMW costing 3 times as much even though there's probably little you can do for any bike ridden through winter to stop the finish going off. That said, I love mine and I'll be sorry to have to stop riding it when the new LEZ charge kicks in.

If anything I think that a lot of their 'problems' stem from being 'over engineered' in so much that stuff needs a more exacting adjustment than your typical Jap bike. One example is the rear paralever bearings. They require quite exacting torque to avoid premature failure (plus they are bloody expensive) but people still do them up like a Scammell wheel nut.

Another thing about them is that they are seemingly so low-maintenance that they are susceptible to neglected servicing. By the time something goes wrong you might find that you've gone past 2 or 3 servicing schedules.

The deal with the flaking paint is blamed on several things.

BMW Officially told me I was 'using the wrong shampoo'.

Fcuking idiots.

I have bleated at great length about the problems and it is down right absurd that the build quality is the issue but BMW refuse to admit that.

Pulling one of the service cuntsultants over his counter would have been my most satisfying outcome.

If I ever see him in the pub I will glass the fat bastirt.

Name of the idiots have not been changed.

"Dear Mr MCN
Thank you for your email dated July 29, 2014. I am sorry to learn about the flaking paint on the engine of your BMW K 1300 GT. I can certainly appreciate your cause for concern regarding this issue.

Although modern paints and treatments are durable and resistant to many external hazards, they cannot reasonably be expected to be totally resistant to all. I am sure you will appreciate those external factors such as cleaning products can have an extremely corrosive effect and should be BMW approved. I am sure you will understand that, exposure to the elements and variable heat changes contribute to surface attrition. Whilst it is an unfortunate occurrence, it cannot be fully eliminated.

I note that, prior to my response you had an opportunity to raise your concern with my colleague, Ms Sian Smedley, Customer Service Executive. It is my understanding that Ms Smedley has been dealing with your complaint and has been unable to contact you; however she has discussed your concerns with Mr Scott Mackintosh, Service Advisor at Douglas Park Motorrad. Mr Mackintosh advised her that this issue is not covered by warranty and may have been caused by the type of cleaning products you have used.

I can confirm that, BMW UK operates a generous goodwill policy compared with many other vehicle manufacturers as we have confidence in the quality of our products. All goodwill gestures are based on the age of the vehicle, mileage, service history and type of defect. Your motorcycle falls outside our goodwill parameters due to the type of defect.

I would like to assure you that your complaint has been taken seriously and details of your email have been duly noted under case reference number 1-20141489112. Feedback is an important factor when we review our products and services.

Thank you for taking the time to contact BMW UK. I recognise that this may not be the response you anticipated; should you however have any additional queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely
BMW UK
Mandy Mahon
Customer Service Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA "

The issue with the paint is due to a cheap manufacturing process.
Cast.
Paint.
Mill jointing faces of castings (breaking through any paint in the process.)
Assemble using a jointing compound.
Fit in bike and sell.

If the units were painted after assembly then corrosion would not creep under the paint at the un-painted joints.
That is where all the corrosion and paint flaking starts from.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Stuff...

That is a very German thing to do, deny, deny, deny, compensate, deny again.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
MCN wrote:
Stuff...

That is a very German thing to do, deny, deny, deny, compensate, deny again.

You mean, Nein nein nein nein nein nein nein. Ja?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6BrnQ6LE4g

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:46 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The twins R1100 and before and K75/100/1100 triples and fours are well made and generally owned by people who wouldn't need to ask or are too old to engage with an online forum.

The newer ones, post R1150, seem to be put together on the cheap to fleece Ewan MacGregor fans.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:58 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhun wrote:
My F800gs seems bulletproof so far. Rolling Eyes

I assume because they didn't try anything fancy with the 800s, they're just bikes.

The only repeatedly reported issues that I'm aware of are the steering head bearings wearing (mine are fine), some early issues with the key unit acting up if it gets soaked (cable-tie an aerosol cap to the little rail around it, cover the unit when parked) and of course the sump paint flaking off. Have you had a look at yours?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
The twins R1100 and before and K75/100/1100 triples and fours are well made and generally owned by people who wouldn't need to ask or are too old to engage with an online forum.

The newer ones, post R1150, seem to be put together on the cheap to fleece Ewan MacGregor fans.

'Official Word of a GM/Director for BMW UK a few years ago. As quoted in an MCN interview.'

"The reliability issue is because BMW want to supply the demand so the bikes are built quickly which means quality has suffered."

Fcuking arsehole/s.. Evil or Very Mad

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:07 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ??!!!! He said that....what's his new job title 😂😂

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You mean, Nein nein nein nein nein nein nein. Ja?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6BrnQ6LE4g

Pretty much, look at all the scandals around German automotive industry. Some stuff never even acknowledged by the manufacturers, even after they got caught. The VW emmisions thing, now the cartel of BMW, VW and Daimler AG, then the infamous biodegradeable wiring harnesses of every single Mercedes-Benz from the 1992 to 1996 and the rust issues after failing to implement new water based paint job technology... and there's much more we, peasants, don't even know about, yet.

The other funny bit is, they would claim very vigorously, that what ever is wrong with your motorcycle/car, it is probably your fault or an unfortunate coincidents of a few factors, that they couldn't predict. I mean, who would have thought BMW motorcycle owners would want to clean their machines with water and soap. Neutral

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:05 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BMW (a rarity - 650CS Scarver, belt drive job) has suffered little really.
Sure the paint was very flaky on the engine when I bought it with about 2500 miles on the clock (Checked as genuine). I fixed that myself with a proper chemical clean and lots of thin coats of Hamerite smooth silver. That paint still totally sound 7 years and 10,000 miles later. Yep - a VERY low mileage but then I am retired so no commuting and the bike is just for fun.

Other grouse is corrosion of almost all the wiriing harrness terminals. "Wires" they are so inflexible you would think they were cast !!!

Otherwise - brilliant bike. Rides like it is on rails. Nice sit up and beg ride position. Ideal for a 76 year old.

Snod

sievuun
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: BMW Reply with quote

choogh wrote:
Why are there none, or almost no posting regarding BMW workshop requests??
Are they THAT good 😱😂

No they do break down from time to time, my oldest R100RS wanted a new driveshaft after only 398.000km,( i have heard rumours the paralevers never last that long) at 399k the speedometer died, mileage now +455k.
Mostly they need rebore and bearings after every 200k, ignition lock and steering bearing the same. Gearboxes might be the bigger problem soloriding about 150k sidecar max 100K

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a R100RT that I rode all over the country. It had the usual wear and tear items, i.e. a clutch, wheel bearings, caliper seals and the like but was otherwise very reliable and surprisingly nimble. My OH had an R65 which was as solid as can be. I currently own a R850R which is proving just as reliable overall.

I like boxer engines and the simple engineering in these bikes. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2