BMW

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

'Official Word of a GM/Director for BMW UK a few years ago. As quoted in an MCN interview.'

"The reliability issue is because BMW want to supply the demand so the bikes are built quickly which means quality has suffered."

Fcuking arsehole/s.. Evil or Very Mad

It's depressing to see the downhill slide.

Oh well, at least in 500 years from now, long after every japanese and italian motorcycle has died and Honda is long forgotten, the last motorcyclist on earth will likely be pottering around on a K100.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was over-researching the issue with my bike/s I found a very interesting story from a chap who used his K1300 between UK and the Cuntinent on a regular basis. Business use.
He had clocked up several tens of thousands of miles and his trusty steed though 'reliable' throughout was a bit leg weary.
The cost to replace the worn parts suspension and some minor engine serviceable parts meant the bike was more or less written off as BER. Beyond Economical Repair.

The BMW dealer service rates must have put the cost of the overhaul through the roof.

Adrian Roderick spoke to MCN

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2008/september/sep0108-bmw-admit-quality-problems-/
"Adrian Roderick, the firm’s UK general manager, said the two faults were just the latest problems to arise following a sales boost. “They’re the two we’ve had to deal with most recently,” he said.

In both cases the firm has decided not recall potentially affected bikes but to replace faulty components when they are next being serviced.

Roderick blamed the problems on the firm’s struggle to build 15-20% more bikes each year for four years to meet the surge in demand. “We were growing so fast we were sort of tripping over ourselves,” he said. ”We’re well over 40% up on four years ago. With any product, when you suddenly increase volumes quite quickly you are prone to things going adrift.”

He put the sales boost down to the shedding of the firm’s image as an “eccentric or quirky choice”, helped by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman’s use of BMWs in their TV adventure series Long Way Round and Long Way Down."

This was in 2008. The Bosch Bastirts still have not addressed the issue.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a measily 8k miles on my BMW k100 (1984) since I've got it on the road. For it's 33 years inlcuding being stolen and burnt out almost. It's needed the following this year;

@ New fuel pump (bad in the new tank),
@ Alternator brush set (had worn down)
@ Starter motor brush set (old were ok but benefit from replacement)
@ Battery (replaced for lithium for no worries)
@ Sprag clutch sticking (annoying but can happen with age)
@ Rear main seal (Had to be replaced when the sprag clutch came off, replaced the clutch with oil proof whilst I was in there save worrying about the main seal in the future)

All of that was done by myself and no need to ask questions on the forum. Though teme had a few questions before. With all that being done the bike is now doing about 400 miles a week and running great. Even done a go on a motocross track and over the top of it.

rhun
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
rhun wrote:
My F800gs seems bulletproof so far. Rolling Eyes

I assume because they didn't try anything fancy with the 800s, they're just bikes.

The only repeatedly reported issues that I'm aware of are the steering head bearings wearing (mine are fine), some early issues with the key unit acting up if it gets soaked (cable-tie an aerosol cap to the little rail around it, cover the unit when parked) and of course the sump paint flaking off. Have you had a look at yours?

I think I spoke too soon. Just had it in for a new ignition switch under goodwill and whilst there he said my steering head bearings are notchy and need replacing. Also my c+s are nearly shot after only 7600 miles. Suppose I was looking for an excuse to get a bling bling gold chain.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhun wrote:

I think I spoke too soon. Just had it in for a new ignition switch under goodwill and whilst there he said my steering head bearings are notchy and need replacing. Also my c+s are nearly shot after only 7600 miles. Suppose I was looking for an excuse to get a bling bling gold chain.

BMW Switches? Don't get me started.

K1300GT Three handlebar switch clusters changed within two years of new.

S1000RR Three handlebar switches within two years of new.

I chinned Mad Mandy at BMW UK.

My question to BMW UK.
'I have had six switches fitted to two new bikes within a year or two of purchase.
Is there a reliability issue of build quality issue with BMW switches?;'

Mad Mandy's response.
'We are not aware of any problem with switches and your switches were replaced under warranty.'
Rolling Eyes

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious. Not aware of any issues with the switches .....whilst writing to someone that's got through half dozen of them. I would call that a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhun wrote:
Just had it in for a new ignition switch under goodwill

Aerosol cap over the new one... Whistle

rhun wrote:
and whilst there he said my steering head bearings are notchy and need replacing.

<dem-feels.png>
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2