Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My First Armchair

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:01 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: My First Armchair Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just picked up a FJR1300 gen2 06 manual. Its just clocked 50k with FSH, i need a dealer in essex that will do the 50k service. My local dealer wont work on bikes over 5 yrs old..

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Kaya

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverex in Braintree.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: My First Armchair Reply with quote

Kaya75 wrote:
Hi All,

My local dealer wont work on bikes over 5 yrs old..

Any recommendations?

Kaya

Don't give them ANY business at all and hopefully they will go out of business.
It's c*nts like them that make owning a bike difficult.
Not everyone can afford a new bike or have the ability to do all the maintenance tasks on a modern/complicated machine.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:00 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, congratulations on getting a superb bike. If big miles are your thing then there's little that'll touch an FJR1300.

Having a full FSH means nothing unless there is evidence that the work has been done. My FJR has done over 50K and like most it is supremely reliable. ALL of it's servicing from 2K has been done by myself. I just wouldn't trust dealers to do it correctly. There's just too many people who happily hand over shit loads of money for work that, much of the time, just isn't done.

Assuming the oil and filters have been changed regularly the main concern should be the rear suspension linkages. These should be stripped and greased every 12K - without exception. Mine is still on original bearings but if they are left unattended they will eventually seize up and in extreme cases the dog bones will fail. This isn't a design issue but an often neglected service issue. Walk away from dealers that say they never give problems. Valve clearances should be done every 24K and it sounds like this is slightly overdue.

I suggest you join the FJR uk forum. It's a wealth of really good information and people are very willing to help https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/

There is also an FJ/FJR owners "club". The "club" operates as a business with regard to parts and servicing - I use them for service parts. They operate a workshop and most who have used them for servicing highly recommend them. Maybe worth considering getting them to do the big service if you don't feel able to do it yourself. They are located close to junction 14 on the M5. I believe that as well as being highly experienced in all things FJR they are much cheaper than main dealers.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS it the FJR that has an "important bit" that needs attending to in a service that is often overlooked

"important bit" that's my technical knowledge that is Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:48 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
There is also an FJ/FJR owners "club". The "club" operates as a business with regard to parts and servicing - I use them for service parts. They operate a workshop and most who have used them for servicing highly recommend them. Maybe worth considering getting them to do the big service if you don't feel able to do it yourself. They are located close to junction 14 on the M5. I believe that as well as being highly experienced in all things FJR they are much cheaper than main dealers.

This is, by far, the best advice you will get.

Not only will they give your bike the once over (and definitely do a proper job on the linkages) but it will help sell your bike when the time comes. Club maintained bikes are sought after as their work is second to none.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:53 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
IS it the FJR that has an "important bit" that needs attending to in a service that is often overlooked

"important bit" that's my technical knowledge that is Embarassed

The rear suspension linkages are often ignored or not done correctly. The same applies to most other bikes but FJR owners do tend to do big mileages. They really are seriously reliable bikes that go on and on if they are treated well.

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:48 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, thanks for the advice. Peperomi i agree, its a good shop with great lads working there, but for whatever reason they dont like my cash. I walked in there with 4k cash for a brandnew 125 and gear a few years ago and they wouldnt even pull one out of the line up "needs checking over first" etc..

Anyhow i dont wont a fitter with a laptop so thanks for being honest, apparently the machanic hates siezed bolts... ??

So onwards, id do all my own servicing, but atm im lacking a garage and time, if i need to replace the shims on the vavles and take out the cams ill be in over my head esp with no garage and bench...

Im gonna check oyt the owners club workshop i found them yesterday so good to hear good things.

The guy i got the bike off was fastidious in records he has FSH with receipts and credit card receipts. He had his own written records so im happy the bike is well cared for, but tge valves and linkage are due which i knew..

Happy daze all, thanks for advice.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:55 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to have a well documented service record but there have been a number of folks who later discovered that the linkages hadn't actually been done, even although the book was stamped. It's tricky removing the centre stand, due to the bolt placement, and anyone who's done this job reinserts the bolts (or at least one of them) facing the opposite way. This makes it a lot easier next time round. Have a look at yours and see what it's like. The FJR forum will have several posts if you need clarification.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:

I ride past that place on my way to work. Always looks busy, which is a good sign. Bit of a trek for you, though, Kaya75.

They even have a reduced 'winter rate' for servicing Very Happy https://www.fjclub.co.uk/#/fjr-centre/4546500379

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the FJR1300 shims are anything like those on the FJ1200 then they are relatively easy to do.I did them and the bearings in the swingarm knuckle without any problems.

What about 'South Essex Motorcycles' ?

Always have a 'Plan B'

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:20 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Firstly, congratulations on getting a superb bike. If big miles are your thing then there's little that'll touch an FJR1300.

Having a full FSH means nothing unless there is evidence that the work has been done. My FJR has done over 50K and like most it is supremely reliable. ALL of it's servicing from 2K has been done by myself. I just wouldn't trust dealers to do it correctly. There's just too many people who happily hand over shit loads of money for work that, much of the time, just isn't done.

Assuming the oil and filters have been changed regularly the main concern should be the rear suspension linkages. These should be stripped and greased every 12K - without exception. Mine is still on original bearings but if they are left unattended they will eventually seize up and in extreme cases the dog bones will fail. This isn't a design issue but an often neglected service issue. Walk away from dealers that say they never give problems. Valve clearances should be done every 24K and it sounds like this is slightly overdue.

I suggest you join the FJR uk forum. It's a wealth of really good information and people are very willing to help https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/

^^^^^ very much this, enjoy your new bike, cracking machine, a great all rounder, I bought an ex demo 2016 model on Easter Friday, with 850 miles on her, now just about to do the 6k oil change, and I nlynride for fun, not commuting, its a bike you just want to ride.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:

^^^^^ very much this, enjoy your new bike, cracking machine, a great all rounder, I bought an ex demo 2016 model on Easter Friday, with 850 miles on her, now just about to do the 6k oil change, its a bike you just want to ride.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
Enduro Numpty wrote:

^^^^^ very much this, enjoy your new bike, cracking machine, a great all rounder, I bought an ex demo 2016 model on Easter Friday, with 850 miles on her, now just about to do the 6k oil change, its a bike you just want to ride.

https://www.troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-double-post-or-just-want-everyone-to-see.jpg
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The999Kid wrote:

https://s20.postimg.org/k9xkv7u19/Screenshot_2017-09-05_at_16.36.09.png

https://s20.postimg.org/y4vvdoogd/Screenshot_2017-09-05_at_16.36.17.png

Four mins apart... Thinking

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:20 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be careless use of the back button and not being sure if I should re submit form again, or a narcissistic tendency? Mmmmm

I'll let the people decide Wink

The999Kid wrote:

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
These should be stripped and greased every 12K

Why every 12k, seems extremely low?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:54 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

12K is what Yamaha specify.

There's nothing that different about FJR linkage and any other modern bike linkage but FJRs to tend to rack up high mileages. If it's not done they will eventually seize up. If serviced correctly they'll last for ever. Mine is 8 years old and bearings are like new.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
12K is what Yamaha specify.

But why do they and why do you believe it is so essential when other manufacturers consider regressing a suspension part to be a periodic every 2 year thing along with regressing head races?

Enduro Numpty wrote:
There's nothing that different about FJR linkage and any other modern bike linkage but FJRs to tend to rack up high mileages. If it's not done they will eventually seize up. If serviced correctly they'll last for ever. Mine is 8 years old and bearings are like new.

Age is pretty irrelevant if regreased every couple of years, duty cycles is what really matters. I am just very suspicious of the every 12k quote, I know one FJR rider who does more than this in 3 months and really doubt he strips the linkage to clean and regrease it every third month or that it needs it.
If for some reason they do need doing this often why does no one fit grease nipped?

Having run several bikes to over 300k they rarely need their suspension linkages regressed more than every few years.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:28 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously know better than Yamaha. Maybe you could get in touch with them and put them right on a few things.

I see little point in debating the pros and cons of maintenance.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
You obviously know better than Yamaha.

Probably not but I do know more than you and that is the relevant point here.

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Maybe you could get in touch with them and put them right on a few things.

Well I could tell them that FJR owners strip their suspension linkages to regrease them every 20,000kms instead of fitting grease nipples but don't follow the service schedule and do the head races at the same time, yep I bothered to go read the service schedule.

Enduro Numpty wrote:
I see little point in debating the pros and cons of maintenance.

Well thats unfortunate as I discovered something you didn't in the service schedule.
I took a look at the US one and it suggests moderately repacking the suspension linkage with lithium grease every 16000mls or 2 years. The 2 years bit is the same as most bikes, the 16000mls is of course an increase on the Euro schedule.
There is no mention in either schedule of stripping and regreasing the linkage, the Euro one just says to lubricate.

So I would suggest that not stripping and regreasing isn't a major service failure. In my experience they will last a long time anyway so don't put this off buying one. If the bike is only used in the rain or in a dusty environment then I would actually suggest regreasing more often than the service schedule says to, but I would fit grease nipples. Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:58 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't be arsed replying to this nonsense but in the hope that in doing so I can prevent someone from taking your badly ill informed advice I will.

Firstly, Yamaha service manual states inspect and regrease all bearings every 12,000 miles or 2 years. If you can do this without taking it apart then please explain how.

Maybe you do know more than me, maybe you don't? I'm a member of the FJ/FJR owners club and have access to a wealth of information and experience gained in the FJ/FJR workshop that you very obviously don't. You may question my ability - fair enough, I am only a home mechanic but in my defence am a qualified engineer. I've said nothing regarding the linkages that isn't stated by Yamaha and perhaps more relevant, the FJ/FJR club workshop. These guys see the effects of not servicing the linkages regularly. They recommend 12k servicing as the maximum and as you say, less if used in repeated adverse conditions.

As for fitting bleed nipples: It's so easy to say but short of a wholesale redesign of the suspension linkage it just isn't feasible.

You don't happen to work for a bike shop do you? The reason I ask is because what you're saying sounds worryingly like the "linkages are greased as required" nonsense they spout. Loads of cases of people buying bikes with FSH from main dealers only for linkages to seize.

I'll continue to service my bikes as per the service schedule and if your happy to make your own up that's fair enough but please read the following links before you persuade people that you know better.

I didn't contribute to this thread for any other reason than to make the OP aware of a major potential problem and to congratulate him on buying a great bike. I have no intention of getting into a protracted argument. There's just no point

https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/index.php?topic=3203.0

https://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/index.php?topic=19738.0
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1