Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Continuing future for nuclear weapons

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Continuing future for nuclear weapons Reply with quote

Interesting, especially in light of NK's latest provocative missile test.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/russia-fears-new-us-bomb-ups-risk-of-nuclear-strike/ar-AAqY8Rk?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=mailsignout

Surgical nuclear strike? Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small nukes are the most dangerous. A 300 ton TNT nuke is much more usable than a 100kt nuke.

500t
https://i67.tinypic.com/symv6w.png

100kt
https://i67.tinypic.com/wkit7m.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ reported to security services.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
^ reported to security services.

My file is already huge Laughing

W76 nuke warhead - Currently use
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1Goep_J9F6g/VshOGjozGvI/AAAAAAAAAc8/Gh3PajWqbl8/s1600/mk.4.jpg

Retired RAF WE177 freefall nuke
https://nuclear-weapons.info/images/we177-andyleitch-02.jpg

Trident sub
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/images/units-and-equipment/submarines/vanguard-ballistic-submarines/hms-vanguard/vanguard-background_1500x1090.jpg

Northwood nuke bunker
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/14/article-2202784-15054441000005DC-49_634x480.jpg

THAAD missile interceptor
https://nationalinterest.org/files/styles/main_image_on_posts/public/main_images/the_first_of_two_terminal_high_altitude_area_defense_thaad_interceptors_is_launched_during_a_successful_intercept_test_-_us_army_6.jpg?

Ballistic missile warning radar
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/RAF_Fylingdales_Radar.jpeg/1200px-RAF_Fylingdales_Radar.jpeg

South Korean Hyunmoo short range ballistic missile (not nuclear)
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/rok/images/hyunmu-2-2013-image1.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Small nukes are the most dangerous. A 300 ton TNT nuke is much more usable than a 100kt nuke.

I think that's the gist of what the Russians are saying in that article.
Someone like Trump may be much more inclined to turn to them too?

Also, it perhaps ought to be remembered that the effects of nuclear weapons are not limited to the blast radius.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Always wondered what that was. I drive past Fylingdales fairly regularly and just assumed it was where they kept our Stargate.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:20 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davy Crocket nukular firework.

https://i.imgur.com/XxMEKt1.png

Light the blue touchpaper and run. Run away, very, very, quickly.

10-20 tons of TNT equivalent, developed in the 1950s for use against... North Korea.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aware that nuclear warheads could be fired by artillery (something I picked up from NBC lectures in the RAF), but for those, you'd have to deploy troops on the ground.

Seems very timely for the US to be testing these weapons now, almost certainly not coincidental that news of it should be released at this time. Perhaps the Russians are even in on raising the discussion to a higher profile for NK's attention?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/RAF_Fylingdales_Radar.jpeg/1200px-RAF_Fylingdales_Radar.jpeg

Looks like the BCF server. Thinking

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

As you know stuff and I'm lazy, how much would 1kt be in kg? Meaning 50kt bomb weighing for instance 1000Kg = 1kt being 20Kg.

It makes perfect sense that the smaller bombs are more reasonable, as the ballistic missiles have limited payload and having a bigger bomb would require a carrier, mostly a big and slow aircraft, putting the operators of such aircraft into a very high risk. Is the industry developing in tearms of miniaturization, smaller and more powerful bombs? Thinking

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

As you know stuff and I'm lazy, how much would 1kt be in kg? Meaning 50kt bomb weighing for instance 1000Kg = 1kt being 20Kg.

SRS?

K=kilo t= tonne so 1 kilo tonne = 1000 tonnes or 1 million kilogrammes .

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMP is where it's at...you can let the infrastructure stay and swill the streets clear of dead bodies.
Guidance system that delivers doesn't have to be precise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
EMP is where it's at...you can let the infrastructure stay and swill the streets clear of dead bodies.
Guidance system that delivers doesn't have to be precise.

Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home

You know who Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

SRS?

K=kilo t= tonne so 1 kilo tonne = 1000 tonnes or 1 million kilogrammes .

So 1kt nuclear bomb weights 1,000,000kg? U WOT M8?!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

I think that's the gist of what the Russians are saying in that article.
Someone like Trump may be much more inclined to turn to them too?

Also, it perhaps ought to be remembered that the effects of nuclear weapons are not limited to the blast radius.

Trump doesn't know much about nukes or the military. He would just go along with whatever the military suggest like most of them would unless it sounds evidently crazy.

This modern precision guided mini nuke type idea started under Bush, presumably to go with his prompt global strike missiles, for blowing up chem/bio weapons and underground bunkers. Using them against North Korean chemical weapons stocks would be reasonable if he is about to throw the whole lot at 10 million people in Seoul.

RhynoCZ wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

It makes perfect sense that the smaller bombs are more reasonable, as the ballistic missiles have limited payload and having a bigger bomb would require a carrier, mostly a big and slow aircraft, putting the operators of such aircraft into a very high risk. Is the industry developing in tearms of miniaturization, smaller and more powerful bombs? Thinking

There are two sizes to a nuclear weapons, there's it's actual weight and there is its explosive force which is measured in terms of equivalent explosive power of TNT. So a 100kt nuke has the explosive force as 100,000 tons of TNT, essentially a Nimitz aircraft carrier made of TNT! The actual 100kt warhead such as a W76 only weighs about 100kg.

Explosive force doesn't really correlate well to weight when you look at "real" nukes. 20kt nukes tend to be less advanced fission designs and hence MUCH heavier, like 5000lb or something for a first attempt, but they can be made smaller. A 500kt WE177 thermonuclear bomb, whilst much more explosive, only weighs about 1000lb because it is a two stage fission/fusion design rather than a plain fission design. It also depends on the weight of the packaging like whether it is air dropped or on a missile bus.

In terms of development nukes haven't really moved forward much in terms of tech from 1960 ish. There are only two processes, fusing atoms and splitting atoms. Advancements are mostly in making them a bit lighter with very exotic materials (e.g aerogels), newer and more secure firing electronics, and lasers and simulators for testing nukes without live tests.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

So 1kt nuclear bomb weights 1,000,000kg? U WOT M8?!

Nuclear weapons are rated in 'equivalent to x amount of TNT', so the bomb doesn't weight a million kilos - it produces the destructive force of a million kilos of TNT.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:16 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Trump doesn't know much about nukes or the military.

He knows how to hire people that do though. That's rather his thing.

Trump is neither stupid, nor crazy, although he likes to cultivate an image of the latter.

I don't see him throwing down with North Korea unless they actually hit Guam or Alaska, and even then only if there are body-parts on camera.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Trump is neither stupid, nor crazy, although he likes to cultivate an image of the latter.

I don't see him throwing down with North Korea unless they actually hit Guam or Alaska, and even then only if there are body-parts on camera.

I can see us all sitting here with our hair falling out and you still worshipping his toupee Very Happy

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Trump doesn't know much about nukes or the military.

He knows how to hire people that do though. That's rather his thing.

He doesn't need to hire them, they already have military strategists whose job is this stuff.

If the military tell him they need to carry out a nuke strike he will probably agree. I can't see any situation where he would be making the suggestion though. A nuke strike can be reasonable, it doesn't have to be against a city, it can be against chemical weapons which are about to be used for a genocide for example. They could also use a custom cleaner bomb to reduce fallout.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:26 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I can see us all sitting here with our hair falling out and you still worshipping his toupee Very Happy

Faith is purest when it is unquestioning. Folded arms

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Are you sure?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:46 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Are you sure?

Faith in the Immortal Emperor is my shield.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

You mean you haven't got your NukePal™ yet? Amateur.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the news last night the only thing keeping things stable around NK is the deterrant threat.
And the lefties wanted to get rid of Trident? hmmmm
Nukepal. The way ahead is rather hot

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

And the lefties wanted to get rid of Trident? hmmmm

I don't think we'll be needing it while NK is focussed on the USA. If they get it wrong with the yanks, it'll likely be the last thing they ever do. This is why I can't understand what they're up to, winding them up now, before they have an effective nuclear capability.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2