Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Genre of music has most affected your life?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:08 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Which Genre of music has most affected your life? Reply with quote

Growing up in the '70s, The Sweet, Slade, etc, were all a teen could get, and it was shit..... but in 77/78, PUNK happened, and my life exploded.

Met lots of people who came from different parts of the world and lived in different conditions, became outspoken, and critical of our rulers.

No Authority But My Own is something I live by, and apply to all my decisions and choices.

So, for me, punk was a lifestyle, and still is....

...What music forms your lives?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock and metal

Will listen to other stuff but always go back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rose isn't the only smell in the garden.

[edited to explain pretentious comment. TL:DR at the bottom]

I recall my Dad's Blues/Rock band rehearsing in the garage aged 5 and sneaking a play on the drums.

Watching Cash/Glitter live and sensing the excitement of a large crowd. (placeholder for GG joke]

Visiting my parent's musician friends and overhearing tales of on-road antics and namedrops (little known fact but I'm related to Van Morrison and once played with Manfred Mann....on a beach...I was 4...we made sandcastles).

My Aunt worked in Saudi and sent me copious cassettes of well known and unknown music. I remember some of The Beatles albums were completely replicated cover versions. Everything from Kraftwerk to Rush...Men at Work ACDC.

So upto say age eleven I'd listened to most common genres and been to a few gigs.

John Peel,

Then Punk did arrive with it's DIY ethics <<<It's only ethic if truth be told.
I embraced punk and punk has a strong relationship with Reggae which I later experienced in the Hulme squats with their impromptu sound system setups.

My best mate's Foster Dad was a reformed Hippy who occasionally slipped off the wagon....ergo Hawkwind, Incredible String Band, Hendrix, The Doors etc.

Punk fizzled and angular disjointed indie (New Wave) rose up. I embraced it. I'd been an avid reader of the music press and the Ads were alive with crazy stupid band names that had to be investigated.

I'm not writing an essay so suffice to say as an adult it's nice that my ears and eyes were opened to a variety of music from the get go. Doesn't mean I don't hate some music and would happily stamp on the complete works of queen and genesis and coldplay and u2 springsteen. kiss...most if not everything by Stock Aitken & Waterman even though waterman did do some good for music......duran duran...ENOUGH!

TL;DR.
Venus in furs aged 12...mind blown.

Last edited by Howling Terror on 22:42 - 01 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:02 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say metal, but I really got into it a little late in life. The true life changing genre for me was rave derived electronic dance music.

But as others have said, labelling an individual genre as life changing seems a bit peculiar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opera, yuurgh, makes me physically sick, other than that, I'll listen to whatever I like, between now and Christmas, going to see orbital, leftfield, faithless, thunder, Marilyn Manson & quo live

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy metal.

...my hearings buggered. Laughing Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock and Metal for sure. I have a whole lot of expensive music equipment that I can hardly play. Laughing
You have to really love a genre to spend all your teenage cash in music shops trying to emulate your idols.
Don't mind some rap music, but it has to be offensive. Will Smith 'be nice to your mum and work hard at school' style
stuff is just lame. I also really love a bit of Stoner Rock, for obvious reasons. Kyuss and Monster Magnet are my
two favourite bands. Oh and I (eventually) married a tattooed, pierced rock chick, which was the type of girl I really
wanted to spend my life with. If you can't agree on what music you play in the car without one of you grimacing
throughout, then theres no basis for a long term relationship.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Will Smith 'be nice to your mum and work hard at school' style stuff is just lame.

Very Happy I agree. I have an incredibly eclectic taste in music so it's hard to choose, but I'd probably say Rock and Rap as well, mainly cos there have been times where it felt like that artist was describing what you're feeling (and you didn't feel alone Neutral). I don't really get that with the million and one generic songs on the radio all about love.

It's just a shame both genres are basically dead now.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Summertime is my guilty pleasure and a bit of Naughty by Nature. Shhh!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably go against the grain here, but growing up being heavily involved in basketball, the culture very much went hand in hand with rap & hip-hop. Not the shite that is being put out these days, but decent stuff. Used to listen to a lot of Linkin Park too!

So yeah, a lot of my musical influence came from that. Although these days I will listen to must things.

Even to the point I find classical music helpful when the mental health isn't too good.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz.

I was born in the 60s and had a Brother and Sister much older than me, so my earliest influences were 60s pop on the radio, Sister who was a massive Beatles fan and classically trained guitarist, Brother who was into the then new heavy rock scene and (weirdly) reggae, plus my parent's records.

Mum and Dad would listen to pretty much anything, but Dad was into jazz and played it at every opportunity and something drew me to it. Upstairs was guitar practice in one room, Zeppelin and Purple in the other, while I was always downstairs, listening to Stefane Grappelli and Duke Ellington.

I also spent a lot of time with an aunt and she had a wind up gramophone and a collection of 78s - my favourites were a couple by Les Paul.

I went through the 70s not being really impressed by anything much, until disco really arrived, with its funky beats, then jazz funk started to hit and I was properly hooked.

I started to DJ in 1981 and still do, so I've been through every genre of dance music since and I've always leaned towards anything that was vaguely funky, or had some sort of evidence of free form.

As I've got older, I've grown to appreciate some of the stuff I didn't rate as a kid and I do love agenda free, pure pop music, but I keep coming back to jazz.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardhouse

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
^^^Summertime is my guilty pleasure and a bit of Naughty by Nature. Shhh!

I like the fresh prince but that's cos it reminds me of the fresh prince Smile

Tracer1234 wrote:
Not the shite that is being put out these days, but decent stuff.

It's strange, genres rise and fall in popularity but there are a lot of people who can't stand the recent stuff. I think it's a case of technology influencing music, as it often does. Even Dr Dre seems lost without his MPC-3000. Rap today consists of a shite beat made in FL Studio, a rapper who's voice hasn't broken, and even if it had can't really rap.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:47 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the biggest impact or change in my life, it would rock and metal. Not that I particularly like the music, I just used to go to a rock club in my early 20s. I had a job and a car, which was somewhat unique in that crowd. I used to get laid a lot.

For music that I always come back to, it's jazz. Sometimes it's jazz that is practically hip hop, or electronica, or tuntablism. Particularly fond of French and Ethiopian, which has led me off into discovering more Ethiopain jazz (there's an awful lot of going back 5 decades) and French hip hop (which stayed being good after the American stuff started to collapse in the late 90s).
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, before I got interested in playing guitar, it was heavy rock. I say that as opposed to metal, cos I've always liked the stuff that was based on rock 'n' roll, but turned up to 11.

I always loved blues and R&B (proper R&B, what it really means) by rock bands too, one favourite being "Lazy", by Deep Purple.
I got into Led Zep, then wondered what Jimmy Page had done before then. That led me to the Yardbirds, where I discovered Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. That got me into blues properly, Clapton leading to John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, then Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (also excellent slide playing by Jeremy Spencer), and then went on to all the American stuff: Little Walter, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Albert and B.B. King etc, etc, ad infinitum.

SRV got me into learning guitar though, so it was a harder edged blues that I learned to play initially, before discovering that in blues, less is often more, which led to everything else by any blues artist I could get anything by, but mostly for guitar stuff.

So yeah, heavy rock and blues being the main ones. Like a fair bit of other stuff too though, influences I've picked up over the years.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

For music that I always come back to, it's jazz. Sometimes it's jazz that is practically hip hop

I think a lot of hip hop is jazz, or the modern interpretation of it - solid, funky back beat, with either a free form rap and/or a massive sample session over the top.

My Dad was a real jazz connoisseur, but I remember playing him tracks like Paid In Full and The Crown and he really got it.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock/metal... although, as you can maybe tell by my avatar, I lean towards the glam side Laughing

I love blues as well, Joe Bonamassa these days plays that great heavy blend where blues meets rock; Eric Clapton, Gary Moore looking back a bit.

If I had to pick just one song forever - Comfortably Numb is perfect in every way.

Having said all that, I'm currently listening to Lorde - I'm a sucker for a gravelly voiced girl - Bonnie Tyler, Cerys Matthews - and I really like her sparse music (reminds me a lot of the White Stripes) and clear honest lyrics.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:24 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6L1d7PbILw

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:30 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal. I think it literally brought me out of my shell.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:07 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Metal. I think it literally brought me out of my shell.

https://i.imgur.com/odWqauJ.png?2

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with many above, that a Base of rock and metal is my main thing musically. Rock wise I like stuff from the beginning of the era and though the 60's-70's. I'd say psychedelic rock, bluesy rock, southern rock and heavy rock covers most of it.

Im not as keen on prog rock, and there's many bands I can listen to say a handful of tracks which I think are great, but not really love the band or all its material. Queen is one of the biggest examples I guess.

Metal, I like stuff again from the beginnings of the genre up to closer to modern day, though I genuinely havnt heard or listened to much new metal material or bands from say this decade that I've been that impressed by. I really rate the album 13 from Black Sabbath though, a very good latter day album for a big band, and seeing them live this year was a brilliant gig and a nice way to remember them.

Im a bit nostalgic and so while growing up and going out at night the electronic dance and rave scene of the early 90's was cool, and then the trance era at the end of the decade and early millennium years. I've never listened to dance music since and rated it much.

Oh and then when on a nostalgia trip in a club or bar 80's pop and dance music, takes me back, as I was a little kid back then but it was happy times and the 80's was a very different decade musically to anything before or since. Can remember listening to bands like New Order, Depeche mode, Pet shop Boys etc, and liking it, about the same time as laying on the floor watching Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon and seeing the bike racing. Best bike racing period too probably! Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that the era of my formative years (60s/70s/80s) has had the most effect. The soundtrack to my life has mostly been 60s 70s 80s stuff: 10cc, Blondie, Queen, the Sweet, Allman Brothers, Beach Boys, Eagles, the Stones et al. which are what immediately spring to mind. Rather embarrassingly I get all those 60s and 70s black boy or girl bands mixed up. I do not know my Spinners from my Supremes ( Shifty ) but I do know I loved all of their music.

I was affected by Rick Wakeman solo albums, Herb Alpert Tijuana Brass, and by J J Cale.

Rick Wakeman brought me to an interest in what I would call experimental electronica of certain types. Cale brought me to blues/Cajun which really resonates deeply with me, whilst Herb Alpert attracted me to clear beautiful trumpets, and all three from there into classical.

I do still love the stuff of my formative years, (I even like Enter Sandman, does that count as heavy metal?) ... but I realised the mistake of sticking to ONLY listening to that stuff, when I saw what old fuddy-duddies my contemporaries had turned into. So I made an effort to listen to other stuff.

Having said that, I would probably change the channel on punk before I changed it on classical, though. Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I am so upset to learn that isn't you in your avatar.

Crying or Very sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2