Pay for your fuel first!!??!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few rural places have a pay first for all vehicle policies

couple of places I fill up someone appears from under a car, wipes hands on cloth, unlocks pump and fills it up for me Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
We're not playing a strong hand here.

Well I purposely avoid the station, which includes regularly filling up work vehicles with ~£100 of diesel.

https://images.freeimages.com/images/premium/large-thumbs/1256/12561076-raised-fist.jpg

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:24 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I recall doing it once in the car. The woman got a bit snotty because I said I don't know exactly how much it would take. Think I left my driver's licence and credit card with her while I filled up.

Fecking stupid thing to do, would never leave a bank card or credit card with anybody, card cloning does happen you know!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using my local station because of this.

Used them for years and all of a sudden a pain to fill up quick.

If a sign says to remove helmet I will, but don't see the need to pay first. Car drivers don't so why should a motorcycle?

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:46 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol station I worked in 15 years ago were doing this for all vehicles. Crime happens, and you can't just pick the ' odd' person to pay first - immediate discrimination - so it becomes a blanket policy.

Several punters took this as an inconvenience, to the point where they moved on to the next open station (night shifts, were spectacular). Two miles away for the sake of a 10 second walk.

We got the old ".........not spending my money here......." etc. Daft thing was that we (as in my employer) ran the two nearest stations as well so we were getting their money anyway. Moot point, really.

Margins are so tight in fuel sales that just one bilking (making off without payment), even on a bike, is enough to wipe out any profit made on fuel sales alone that day. You could fill your works van from bottom to top with Super Diesel or what ever its called this week, and still hand over more profit from the coffee you bought at the same time.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
You could fill your works van from bottom to top with Super Diesel or what ever its called this week, and still hand over more profit from the coffee you bought at the same time.

Doesn't that say more about how overpriced petrol station coffee is though?

(Yes, I do know that fuel margins are very tight and they typically make more from the shop than the petrol)

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
Petrol station I worked in 15 years ago were doing this for all vehicles. Crime happens, and you can't just pick the ' odd' person to pay first - immediate discrimination - so it becomes a blanket policy.

That's the problem though - Most places want bikes to remove lids, pay first etc, and cars get a free pass. If it's a blanket policy, I'd still use somewhere else because it's a ballache, but bikes wouldn't be pissed off the station reckons they are far more likely to bilk the place than cars etc.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
couple of places I fill up someone appears from under a car, wipes hands on cloth, unlocks pump and fills it up for me Laughing

Fwiw this is what happens at the petrol station in my village. And wow the petrol is pretty dear there!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:38 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Most places want bikes to remove lids

An argument for a different day, and several such threads already exist, but I was told that the local licensing authorities (as you'd expect, each station has to meet certain requirements and maintain their license) stipulate this. True or not, I don't know. Been out of the game for a long time now, but certain rules did vary between local authorities on other matters. It's entirely possible this applies in, say, Nottinghamshire but not Buckinghamshire etc.

In this case, it is effectively a legal requirement for the attendant/cashier/chimp behind the till* to enforce you remove it. Technically, you're not breaking any laws by not doing so, but that guy may have kids to feed etc and no one wants to see him lose his job.

*Delete as appropriate.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Doesn't that say more about how overpriced petrol station coffee is though?

Yes. Also no. These days, with interbreeding and stuff most places have a 'licensed' machine eg Starbucks or Costa, rather than their own offerings. Expect Seattle's finest to be setting the price, regardless of what Shell are taking from it so as to not devalue their own product, but also at the same time make it expensive enough that you may as well go to actual Starbucks/Costa/Nero where the quality is invariably better.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Most places want bikes to remove lids

An argument for a different day, and several such threads already exist, but I was told that the local licensing authorities (as you'd expect, each station has to meet certain requirements and maintain their license) stipulate this. True or not, I don't know. Been out of the game for a long time now, but certain rules did vary between local authorities on other matters. It's entirely possible this applies in, say, Nottinghamshire but not Buckinghamshire etc.

In this case, it is effectively a legal requirement for the attendant/cashier/chimp behind the till* to enforce you remove it. Technically, you're not breaking any laws by not doing so, but that guy may have kids to feed etc and no one wants to see him lose his job.

*Delete as appropriate.

No matter the reason behind it, no bikes use the one that requires it.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
One local-ish station, in a "posh" area, has started to ask all bikes to "remove bike helmet for your own protection", and didn't appreciate being told that bikes do not wear helmets, nor were they impressed that we couldn't understand how we would be "more protected" if we took our lids off. We don't bother going there anymore, no bikers do now. This being N.Wales, that's a fair bit of income in the "riding season" that's being thrown away.

My nearest one, in a bad part of town, that get's bilked all the fucking time, is cool. I think they key to it is that they have good cameras in smart places. Even after changing my bikes a couple of times recently, I still didn't get asked, so it's not just that I'm a local. The 2 supermarkets that are bang outside the really dodgy part of town don't ask.

that must be in Bala?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
that must be in Bala?

Nope, Wrexham.

Only place I've filled up in Bala is that weird Texaco(?) where the pumps are on the other side of the pavement and you park on the side of the road, and should wear a mask given the price of fuel. I usually go the other side of the lake if I'm out that way unless I need fuel.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:
that must be in Bala?

Nope, Wrexham.

Only place I've filled up in Bala is that weird Texaco(?) where the pumps are on the other side of the pavement and you park on the side of the road, and should wear a mask given the price of fuel. I usually go the other side of the lake if I'm out that way unless I need fuel.

hahaha wrexham was where i had this bullshit happen...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4487340#4487340

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Nope, Wrexham.

hahaha wrexham was where i had this bullshit happen...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4487340#4487340

Sainsbury's by any chance?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the newly renovated Esso at Horsforth at the weekend.

It promoted the fact I can use my mobile phone to scan a code and pay via an app. Then the next sign below it advised that my phone should be switched off.

So if there was a spark and a 'splosion due to mobile phone use, how would this play out, liability-wise?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Morrisons Evil or Very Mad

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I went to the newly renovated Esso at Horsforth at the weekend.

It promoted the fact I can use my mobile phone to scan a code and pay via an app. Then the next sign below it advised that my phone should be switched off.

So if there was a spark and a 'splosion due to mobile phone use, how would this play out, liability-wise?

https://mythbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Cell_Phone_Destroys_Gas_Station_(Myth)

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
https://mythbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Cell_Phone_Destroys_Gas_Station_(Myth)

I wasn't saying it would happen. Just pointing out the blatant contradiction of instruction.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Morrisons Evil or Very Mad

Can't say I've ever used it, and I won't be now.

Captain Caveman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Since returning to riding 3 years ago, I've yet to be asked anywhere I've filled up, and I often rock the 'not road legal'
superdark black visor look. I don't usually get off the bike either until I'm ready to pay. Perhaps I appear honest.

Question

Me too, obviously we have honest looking helmets.....

Pukka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently just quit my part time job working in a petrol station.

These ideas usally come from police 'advice' that they give out in a booklet about once or twice a year about how to reduce fuel thefts. Regarding motorcylists they always mention that a motorcylist keeping thier helmet on and still sitting on the bike are a obvious indication that they are gonna make a runner. However i can confirm that the almost four years i worked at that shithole not once did a motorbike ever leave without paying. There was one guy i remember that forgot his card and was back within half an hour (we had to fill out a form with your details if you leave the forcourt). Which is more than the majoirity that just use it as a way to get fuel with no money for a few days Rolling Eyes

It was a Sainsburys station by the way. They don't specifiy anything in there guff about leaving helmets on filling up/ sitting on bike. Although sometimes the managers think they can do whatever they want. The only thing they may need to do is ask you to remove helmet if you are buying restircted products and need to apply think 25. Actully thinking about it the only time someone would need to ask you to remove a helmet while your filling is to check your over 16 but most people would'nt give a shit about that anyway Laughing

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:37 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Pay for your fuel first!!??!! Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
Shocked

Not sure how true this is, but just found this...artical!

https://s20.postimg.org/fup7wnhsd/Screenshot_2017-09-01_at_23.16.56.png

Thoughts?

Can't buy it over here without first swiping your card at the pump or dumping cash/swiping card at till.
PITA if you want to fill up but pay cash because it means working out how much your tank will take, hand over excess cash, then out to pump fuel and then back to the till to collect change.

I had a massive paddy about this in the USA when filling up and being asked how much fuel I needed... I couldn't work out their stupid gallons or know how much the car held. Not my finest moment telling the person to get fucked who was serving having offered for them to hold onto my wallet and phone while I filled up having explained my predicament and them blankly looking at me and stating 'that's not the process...SIR'

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress?!

https://i.imgur.com/NbeIEQU.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:17 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've gasted my flabber.

Thank-you-ever-so-much email sent to generalpublicenquiries-uk@shell.com

Of course, their... er, "Customer Service Champion" can still challenge you to prove your age by showing your face, presumably as a prelude to some form of duel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3