Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike not handling nicely at m'way speeds

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Bike not handling nicely at m'way speeds Reply with quote

I think I found the culprit, but could do with a second opinion;

https://i.imgur.com/MFUAy1Sh.jpg

Also hi to any BCFers that might have been on the big ride out on the M1 that I saw... whilst I was driving up the shoulder Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naa, tyres fine, chains probably slack. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's those Nite HD1W tyres you've got fitted. Get some decent rubber on there and it'll be fine.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Just glad I didn't replace the tyre yesterday like I was originally planning!

It's really annoying how they tie together all the cones with rope. It makes it impossible to get out of moving traffic and into safety without taking out a couple of cones (and getting a rope in your face when on a bike). Cue me awkwardly trying to get my bike under the rope and replace the cones into a somewhat reasonable position!

https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/049cb995d9984856915c39da9cc5d401/highways-worker-putting-traffic-cones-on-m6-motorway-junction-with-bfg100.jpg

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:01 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
Laughing Laughing

It's really annoying how they tie together all the cones with rope. It makes it impossible to get out of moving traffic and into safety without taking out a couple of cones (and getting a rope in your face when on a bike). Cue me awkwardly trying to get my bike under the rope and replace the cones into a somewhat reasonable position!

https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/049cb995d9984856915c39da9cc5d401/highways-worker-putting-traffic-cones-on-m6-motorway-junction-with-bfg100.jpg

I've never seen this before... why the hell would they do that?!

Is it some weird Southern thing?

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:53 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike not handling nicely at m'way speeds Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
I think I found the culprit, but could do with a second opinion;

https://i.imgur.com/MFUAy1Sh.jpg

Also hi to any BCFers that might have been on the big ride out on the M1 that I saw... whilst I was driving up the shoulder Laughing

Its probably all that dirt causing an imbalance Smile

As for replacing tied together cones.......Piss right off if they are stupid enough to tie them together then they can come and sort them!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:58 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. I've had that too, had to dive off the side of the M4 when my bike started kangarooing all over the spot. I just collected the rope with the front of the bike and dragged them behind me until I was safe on the hard shoulder. Then left them. Utterly fuckwitted idea tying a rope round them.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:58 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not supposed to go over the conned lane. It is closed to traffic. Pretty much it goes like that:

- We are putting cones so people do not go into this close lane.
- People go into the closed lane
- Right, lets rope the cones so people does not go into this closed lane
- People goes into the closed lane
- Any chance we can get machine gun nests so people do not go into the closed lane?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:18 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:
You are not supposed to go over the conned lane. It is closed to traffic. Pretty much it goes like that:

- We are putting cones so people do not go into this close lane.
- People go into the closed lane
- Right, lets rope the cones so people does not go into this closed lane
- People goes into the closed lane
- Any chance we can get machine gun nests so people do not go into the closed lane?

You're not supposed to go onto the hard shoulder either except in an emergency. I don't see them being roped off. Ropes are a dick move.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that would cause a motorcycle to be stationary on the actual carriageway of a moving motorway counts as an emergency.

I'd ride right in through the door of the roadworks canteen area and knock the donut table over rather than stop a motorbike on a moving motorway...

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:46 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a lane is close to traffic because of road works, it is for your own safety.

I understand the point about being a safe point to park your bike or car in a motorway in a breakdown, but you have to be aware that if you go over the cones in a closed lane, you are putting yourself and others at risk.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck that with a big long stick. If my bike is broken and I have the choice between stopping in an active motorway lane, with high speed traffic, or an empty lane that's roped off, guess which I'm going for.

It's laughable you think that stopping in a lane of moving traffic is safer for anybody. Plus, think of the congestion caused blocking a lane for over an hour waiting to be recovered.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:

I understand the point about being a safe point to park your bike or car in a motorway in a breakdown, but you have to be aware that if you go over the cones in a closed lane, you are putting yourself and others at risk.

And a bike plonking itself in the middle of on an active lane is safer for yourself and others? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:14 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about?

What about putting yourself and others at risk when you leave your bike/car in an active motorway lane?

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:43 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for going over the roped cones if you need to get out of moving traffic with a broken motorcycle or car as I said in my previous post.
Just do so with caution because that lane is close to traffic for a reason.

Lets quote.
J.M. wrote:

Stinkwheel wrote:
Aye. I've had that too, had to dive off the side of the M4 when my bike started kangarooing all over the spot. I just collected the rope with the front of the bike and dragged them behind me until I was safe on the hard shoulder. Then left them. Utterly fuckwitted idea tying a rope round them.

Point is, if a lane is closed by cones it may not be the place of safety you are thinking it is. As you can be run over by some heavy machinery operating there.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I said that you should stop in the middle of the highway? Did I? No I didn't, why are you saying so? Cannot fucking read?

I said to be careful because if there is a lane closed by cones that means that some stuff is being done and that makes it not safe for moving traffic. Common sense really.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:21 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:

Point is, if a lane is closed by cones it may not be the place of safety you are thinking it is. As you can be run over by some heavy machinery operating there.

Not really. Because 1) Most have a site speed limit of 15mph and 2) They'd get tangled up in a jumble of roped together cones someone had dragged in their way before they got to me.

I've also never seen them working in the lane right next to the active lane with a simple row of cones. Concrete barriers yes, cones no. The coned off lane is a buffer zone, heavy machinery will not be using it unless they are joining or leaving the motorway.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:23 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:
Did I said that you should stop in the middle of the highway? Did I? No I didn't, why are you saying so? Cannot fucking read?

I said to be careful because if there is a lane closed by cones that means that some stuff is being done and that makes it not safe for moving traffic. Common sense really.

No. You said that anyone going in a coned off lane should be machine-gunned.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:25 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Lupo wrote:

No. You said that anyone going in a coned off lane should be machine-gunned.

At the third time you do so.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:25 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Our coned off areas rarely have anything of any note going on. It's just a way to keep people sucking on the teat of public money.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chain and sprocket are a fcuking disgrace Sir.

Posting on a public forum too. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

About 3PSI is plenty of air pressure to get you where you are going with some added squirmisms

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drawback of having no garage is a severe lack of will power to make things look clean! Very Happy

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the bike from the shop today. Got a pair of Michelin Power RS fitted. Upgrade of the tyre I previously had (already worn when I got the bike).

The bike feels incredible! So much more nimble, whilst also being exceptionally smoother and more stable in the corners. Feels like a brand new bike. I shall enjoy this on some country lanes this weekend Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1