Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

about to buy a laptop need some help decideing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

grandmasterbo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:16 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: about to buy a laptop need some help decideing Reply with quote

okay so like the title says laptop
buying soon cant decide whats better ihave narrowed it down to 2 i like

ill be doing minimal gameing on them if i do use it for that itll be more of a take to a mates house to do low end co-op games if i do

HP 15-ay078na VS HP 15-bw024na

heres a CPU comparason

https://technical.city/en/cpu/A9-9420-vs-Pentium-N3710

and the intergrated GPU

https://technical.city/en/video/Radeon-R5-Stoney-Ridge-vs-HD-Graphics-405-Braswell

the price diffence is £100 from the intel to AMD

im steering more towards the AMD setup because of the high ghz and the R5 but the intel does have 4 cores but is half the ghz

basically peoples thoughts if you would please also i know there not made for games but i have a proper rig at home this is more pop to a mates and play something like diablo 3 on low settings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a no contest from power consumption alone.

14nm process means it runs much more efficiently, even if the AMD did run smoother.

If you value your sanity, always buy a laptop with lower heat and power consumption.

grandmasterbo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:33 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my options are limited from where im buying very has a offer on for spend 299-499 get £50 off over 500 £100 off i dont wana go mad and you have to put it on buy now pay in 12 months

if i set it to 250-500 i have about 57 to choose between some are obv the same in diffrent colours but the highest it goes is that in AMD and this in intel

https://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

i dont really want to hit the 500 mark tho

for reference
https://www.very.co.uk/electricals/laptops/windows-laptops/e/b/116392,1225,4873.end?sort=price,1&numProducts=99
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get way more performance for the money if you get something off ebay for that money i.e i5 or i7.

As for those two, AMD laptop processors are crap. Prior to Ryzen AMD chips were really only any good as desktop CPUs where they could achieve performance through brute force of high CPU clocks, lots of power, and lots of integer cores, but with the benefit of being much cheaper. Intel chips are way more efficient per clock and per watt, pre-Ryzen.

But yeah I'd suggest a used i5 or i7 laptop off ebay, not a new Pentium N. An ebay laptop costing ~£100 would have about double the CPU score of either Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

got one of these recently for a friend

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v110-15isk-80tl-core-i5-6200u-2.3ghz-4gb-128gb-ssd-dvd-rw-15.6-inch-80tl0010uk/version.asp

it was marked down to £369 last week, but seems to have gone back up to £399, chucked in another 4GB RAM and replaced the disk with a 256GB SSD and still came in just under £500.

It's not the prettiest or most stylish, it's only got 2 usb ports and the sound quality of the on board speakers is terrible, but it's lightning quick for the price.

they offer paypal credit if you're poor

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you choose, I hope it comes with a pre-installed spelling and grammar checker.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
What ever you choose, I hope it comes with a pre-installed spelling and grammar checker.

Whatever*

Sorry Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well tag my query onto the end of this.

Thinking about finally giving in and buying a laptop instead of PC (which takes up too much room, still runs Vista and is starting to fail my requirements rather badly nowadays).

So I'm going to Cyprus in October, which uses the same power system as the UK, would it be worth my while to wait and buy one in the duty free, or shall I not wait, and just go get one from (I dunno, where?) in the UK before then.

I don't play high spec games on it but I'd still like something quick(ish) cos I am an impatient bastard.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:31 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Thinking about finally giving in and buying a laptop instead of PC (which takes up too much room, still runs Vista and is starting to fail my requirements rather badly nowadays).

So I'm going to Cyprus in October, which uses the same power system as the UK, would it be worth my while to wait and buy one in the duty free, or shall I not wait, and just go get one from (I dunno, where?) in the UK before then.

I don't play high spec games on it but I'd still like something quick(ish) cos I am an impatient bastard.

I doubt duty free would be better than whatever is on Special this month TBH.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

ebay is pretty much best for most people. I know I keep banging on about it but laptop specs have been pretty static for the past few years so a new laptop doesn't offer much unless you have a specific requirement for a 2k screen, a touchscreen, or a very long battery life [and are willing to spend the low thousands for that]. The ebay stuff is cheap because corporate IT goes through loads of laptops which are fairly good spec and surplus to requirements. If you are impatient, make sure you have an SSD drive for the operating system. Most of the lag you experience on a computer is due to loading times from spinning disks.

As for power supplies, the only thing you need to change with a laptop is the power supply brick which converts mains to low voltage DC.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51WwewIfBnL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was the most understandable piece of IT writing I've read in a long time.
I actually understood all of it, on the first read-through.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

ebay is pretty much best for most people. I know I keep banging on about it but laptop specs have been pretty static for the past few years so a new laptop doesn't offer much unless you have a specific requirement for a 2k screen, a touchscreen, or a very long battery life [and are willing to spend the low thousands for that]. The ebay stuff is cheap because corporate IT goes through loads of laptops which are fairly good spec and surplus to requirements. If you are impatient, make sure you have an SSD drive for the operating system. Most of the lag you experience on a computer is due to loading times from spinning disks.

As for power supplies, the only thing you need to change with a laptop is the power supply brick which converts mains to low voltage DC.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51WwewIfBnL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I hadn't actually considered laptops much before now because, in the past, working on them tended to give me headaches. But now that they are much more standard and reasonably priced, and I do a lot less close-reading work on them than I used to do, I just don't see the need to have a bulging great desktop cluttering up my living room.

Thanks Cool Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:56 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Most I've seen cover 110-240.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Most I've seen cover 110-240.

You'd be hard-pressed to find one that didn't TBH. I have two plug leads for mine - one with a 3 pin plug and another with a yellow 110v site plug. Also have a 3-pin socket with yellow plug patch lead so I can use phone chargers on 110v, which are also 100-250V auto-switching, usually.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1