Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another Honda (CBR929RR) electrical issue!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Another Honda (CBR929RR) electrical issue! Reply with quote

So, I got my bike delivered last week. First trip, lovely...

Or so i thought....

Noticed that my dash was intermittently cutting out and I thought "SHIT, this is what happened on the Blackbird", possible reg/reg/stator failure. Bumped it half way home, died again. Luckily I stopped outside a pub with a group of men outside who has jump leads and a spanner to get the seat off (cheers Honda, great design there) and I have limped it home.

Just tested my battery, 11.5v, so that's low. I can't start the bike on the centre stand, so I need to get it off the drive to test it (plus it's too late now).

So I get under the seat and notice this...

https://i.imgur.com/UCnVSeh.jpg

It's a total longshot, but does anyone have any idea what could possibly be coming from the -ve terminal on the battery?

I have an alarm fob on the keys and asked the chap I bought it from if it worked, he never used it, he also said he didn't have any charging issues (but I'm calling bullshit on this..)

Last edited by winz on 20:23 - 04 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:21 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Reg Rec failure. I can't see the pic though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Sounds like Reg Rec failure. I can't see the pic though.

Fixed the image now.

I'd like/hope to agree as it's just a bolt off, bolt on job. But the Blackbird stator fried. Just need to do some more checks when it's dry out.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a previous owner has bodged an earth wire?

The bike may have been layed up and untended for some time before sale. A weak battery will kill the charging system components too as they fight to resuscitate it. I'd get a new battery and fully charge it before use, or use a jump battery when testing the system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kawasaki Jimbo"]I wonder if a previous owner has bodged an earth wire?
Quote:

I'm not mechanically minded, any reason why they might have bodged an earth? Alarm maybe?

[quote="Kawasaki Jimbo"]The bike may have been layed up and untended for some time before sale. A weak battery will kill the charging system components too as they fight to resuscitate it. I'd get a new battery and fully charge it before use, or use a jump battery when testing the system.

According to the V5 he bought this just before summer. As the voltage is low, I'm going to buy a battery for peace of mind and might get a reg/rec as it's inevitable and I know that it's been done. Then just hope it's not the stator.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
any reason why they might have bodged an earth? Alarm maybe?

I'm not sure but it could be that the bike was playing up due to a corroded earth and instead of finding it they just created a new one, or more likely that's a direct earth between the reg/rec and the battery to improve the connection. Bodged in that the wires appear to have been simply wound together with no solder.

Does it have an alarm module?

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red crimp on the +ve post suggests that there is an Optimate charge lead attached,together with the in-line fuse holder.But I see no such connection for the Optimate lead for the -ve post.Maybe the blue wire was a bodged connection for the Optimate in-line lead connector?

I would be checking that if the blue wire goes nowhere,then remove it.Then check to see where the -ve post Optimate lead is.If you have such a charger then make use of the charge lead Thumbs Up Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
The red crimp on the +ve post suggests that there is an Optimate charge lead attached,together with the in-line fuse holder.But I see no such connection for the Optimate lead for the -ve post.Maybe the blue wire was a bodged connection for the Optimate in-line lead connector?

Optimate leads use a blade fuse, that seems to be connected to a glass fuse so probably isn't an optimate lead.

I would guess that lead is for the non working alarm.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:

Optimate leads use a blade fuse, that seems to be connected to a glass fuse so probably isn't an optimate lead.

I agree.

I've taken the tail off and needed to lift the tank to get to the reg/rec stator connector. But it's been hard wired.

https://i.imgur.com/PDQHd2t.jpg

Is there any other way I can test the stator?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc its a plug in reg/rec so you can check it at that point.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:

I think you're right, I've googled it and it seems to be a Battery Terminal Ring Connector Harness.

SO I have replaced the reg/rec and stator (stator was also fried). Now when I turn on the ignition the fuel pump primes then doesn't shut off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ydksqvuchp9uh0/IMG_3728.m4v?dl=0
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1