Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aluminium recycling. Is it worth the effort?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be cheaper or more cost effective to make a hydraulic press and press the scrap into dense blocks.
We did this at a recycling outfit I worked for.
3kg blocks.
Copper or Alu depending on what we'd stripped.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Might be cheaper or more cost effective to make a hydraulic press and press the scrap into dense blocks.
We did this at a recycling outfit I worked for.
3kg blocks.
Copper or Alu depending on what we'd stripped.

There are can crushers available to buy which you can mount on a wall and might be slightly more convenient for the average recycling Joe to use. Once you crush cans down you are unlikely to be able to lug around full bin bags and would have to start using something like the plastic tubs the councils use for recycling, an old bin would do but most people aren't going to easily get one of those in their Ford Fiesta when it comes to weigh in day.

I don't recall how the UK recyclers pay for aluminium but I get no more for it here if it's uncrushed cans, crushed individual cans or a dense block of crushed cans, casting it would be a non started here as I'd get 3 cents a pound less for cast than I would as cans. Now if you could melt it down and extrude it that would be the clever money, at twice the rate cans fetch.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:05 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a metal vice to really compress the empty cans but the time taken per can means it's not a good plan when you've got hundreds of cans. Sad

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and cheerful

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:25 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can compress cans just as well by stamping on them as you can with one of those. Sad

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You can compress cans just as well by stamping on them as you can with one of those. Sad

I achieve the same result crushing them one handed but I was thinking of those who struggle to crush a grape. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:55 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There'd be no problem if I was only wanting to crush grapes.

I want / need to crush the empty cans into small cubes [you have thirty minutes to move your cube] so that more will fit into each of the plastic boxes councils provide for recycling. Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin

Otherwise the amount of space taken up will be a problem. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:45 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnet.

You also need a magnet to sort alu from steel too.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There'd be no problem if I was only wanting to crush grapes.

I want / need to crush the empty cans into small cubes [you have thirty minutes to move your cube] so that more will fit into each of the plastic boxes councils provide for recycling. Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin Pound Coin

Otherwise the amount of space taken up will be a problem. Laughing

Anything that crushed cans much smaller than your boot can is going to be fairly pricey. Can you not just tell the council you're coke addict and that you'd like more boxes?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2