Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spine operation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:39 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Spine operation Reply with quote

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has had an operation on their spine. I've got stenosis in 3 vertebrae. L3 - L5, they're going to remove the bone at the back of those vertebrae, move the spinal cord slightly to remove some bone from underneath and then replace the bone with Titanium.

I've been told that if I don't have the op. I'll be paralysed from the waist down within 18 months so really I've got no choice but it doesn't help when I'm told that there is a high risk of infection and some risk of nerve damage.

All right, I'm shitting myself and I wondered if anyone else on here had any experience of this sort of thing.

Terry

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that.

I can't help you with your specifics but having almost died from heart failure and having loads of nasty things done to it to keep it working I can say for certain they always tell you the worst case scenario and shitty odds on nasty things happening.

Before they stopped my heart they said when it restarts there is a 1 in 200 chance a clot will break free and you will have a stroke. I asked when the last person had a stroke (hoping the odds for me would be good Laughing )and they said ages ago so don't worry about it. Great, thanks for that Rolling Eyes

My point is they will always tell you how bad it turn out to be before you sign the consent form to cover their arses.

So, get it done, trust your consultant/surgeon and good luck. Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Spine operation Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:
Just thought I'd ask if anyone has had an operation on their spine. I've got stenosis in 3 vertebrae. L3 - L5, they're going to remove the bone at the back of those vertebrae, move the spinal cord slightly to remove some bone from underneath and then replace the bone with Titanium.

I've been told that if I don't have the op. I'll be paralysed from the waist down within 18 months so really I've got no choice but it doesn't help when I'm told that there is a high risk of infection and some risk of nerve damage.

All right, I'm shitting myself and I wondered if anyone else on here had any experience of this sort of thing.

Terry

I also cant offer any advice. I think your right, it dosent look like you have much choice but to go for the op, but best of luck with it mate. I would be nervous as hell. I hope all goes well for you mate. Keep us posted Smile

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 23:49 - 07 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't really help, but there's two ways of looking at it; you can be paralysed now or in 18 months.

More optimistically, you can get away with it and live a near normal life.

Given a chance of getting away with it, I would probably opt for the op.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust whoever's doing it. My experience of ops is I've always woke up and its been ok. If I didn't then I wouldn't have known about it.

OGR

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much direct help either but my sister in NZ is currently undergoing spinal surgery (aged 54); she has some sort of problem with her upper cervical area compressing her nerves and had an op for it last month, after she woke up one morning, out of the blue, being numb from the breastbone down. Bit of a drama.

The neurosurgeon shaved some bit of bone off the top of her spine to release the nerve, and apparently planned to create some kind of trap door* and they were going to maybe fuse a couple of disks as well, slightly further down.

I don't know what finally was done, but she had managed to mobilise okay afterwards, so after three days or so they sent her home, with a bit of help organised here and there, cos she is ferociously independent.

Over the post-discharge weekend she had two falls and cracked a lower vertebrae, back in hospital after only 3 days at home.

ACC (the NZ compensation system) have rather swiftly agreed to let her have someone to help her shower, dress and make her meals until she is PROPERLY able to manage better for herself.
Rolling Eyes Lets hope the cracked vertebra heals up without further intervention, like they say it might.

"Might?" ...

I'm reluctant to call either my sister or my mother to find out what happens next. I suppose I'm going to have to make the effort, but neither of them oils my gears very much these days. I pretend to myself that I don't care but in fact I am worried sick about her future. Nobody's taking about paraplegia or wheelchairs, so I suppose the prognosis must still be fairly positive. Rolling Eyes

So: Don't let them let you out of hospital until you can fend for yourself. And when you are discharged, don't be too proud to accept plenty of help.

*I don't know wtf a "trap door" is either or how it might work, I googled it and it still made no more sense to me.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew has cerebral palsy. A couple of years ago they opened his spine to stretch out some nerves and other stuff that I don't really understand or read about.

He can now walk without aids (lolBCF). There was a risk he could became paralysed during the op.

But he was in pain each day prior to the op. Sister decided it was a risk worth taking and now, although he walks funny, can walk to school rather than be stuck in a wheel/pushchair most of the time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
He can now walk without aids (lolBCF).

So unaided? Smile Nothing much to add either but this post might help, except it sounds like you don't really have much of an option.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a double discectomy in 2013, which involved drilling though the L4, L5 and S1 vertebrae and trimming away the discs as they were touching the sciatic nerves. Although the operation wasn't as difficult as what you're facing the possible side-effects were the same.

I think my biggest fear, rather than paralysis even, was the possible loss of bladder/bowel control. That thought terrified me. However, as I was unable to move at all, without intense pain, I was left in much the same position as yourself, no choice at all.

I now get occasional numbness under the big toenail on my left foot. I'm taking that as a win.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only offer this advice.

Get your arse in gear and go out and shag as many wimin as you can before the opp. Shocked

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had the choice to have my spinal op when i was first de-spined id have taken it.. but the nhs where too busy fucking me around so...

just go do it.. im in daily pain now

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of my ex had surgery on the lower half of her spine (not sure what the initial problem was though), she got an infection at some point later which required more surgery..... after the second operation (with the exception of being a complete drama queen about it), she was walking around fine after a few weeks

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I preferred you as CrippleTron. That handle used to almost make me crack a smile.
This new one is even lamer than you IRL.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 03:22 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends daughter had her almost complete spine affixed from just below her third rib, to just above her pelvis. It's quite strange to see her lean over and realise how flexible our bodies normally are, because her spine is as flat as an ironing board.

She was nine when she started these operations, and is 18 now, when she underwent the latest.....doesn't fear hospitals, doctors or nurses, just dreads the boredom between mealtimes and visits.

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:10 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you all. Some great opinions there and enough information to remind me there are people worse off than me.

I was getting into a "poor me" thinking loop and I realise that wouldn't get me anywhere.

Anyway, the consultants secretary is back from a weeks holiday on Monday and I've been told that one of her first jobs will be to organise my admission date. I'm ready for it now. Fed up with the constant pain.

Thanks again.

Terry

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I preferred you as CrippleTron. That handle used to almost make me crack a smile.

I didn't really get the reference until I watched this the other night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWWNnESqNHw

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

i prefered it when you had a crush on me because i may have actually seen those tits but now you dont have a crush on me your tits are lame

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
when i was first de-spined

I couldn't help but think of this

https://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/user_screenshots/saves4/44035/Mortal%20Kombat_Jun1%2010_46_05.png

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:20 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that me on the floor?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, it'll be fine. Lay back, play some Spinal tap and don't worry about it. Razz

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Relax, it'll be fine. Lay back, play some Spinal tap and don't worry about it. Razz

Clapping Clapping

https://s20.postimg.org/6oq9imggd/Screenshot_2017-09-11_at_23.02.51.png

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
i prefered it when you had a crush on me because i may have actually seen those tits but now you dont have a crush on me your tits are lame

Not as lame as you though Wink Thumbs Up
The only kind of crush I'd ever have on you would be if I sat on you.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:

Careful now, that might be viewed by someone who should be working Tut Tut

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is precisely the reason that it is not posted directly on the page.

It affords the viewer the choice whether to view the item or to save it till later, rather than have it jumping out at the pages of this site at them.

One must not overlegislate these matters. People must learn to use discretion and caution, so as not to lessen the enjoyment of most of the populace on account of the ignorant or ill-considered behaviour of the few.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:

This could be arranged, dm me girl
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3