Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Odds and sods for touring?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Odds and sods for touring? Reply with quote

I'm off on the annual mini-tour tomorrow and am packing my kit.
I always pack some string and resealable freezer bags to solve the little problems that occur.

What do you lot pack that helps make your trips more tolerable?

EDIT: oh I always pack a few cable ties also.

Last edited by pepperami on 10:22 - 08 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Odds and sods for touring? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I'm off on the annual mini-tour tomorrow and am packing my kit.
I always pack some string and resealable freezer bags to solve the little problems that occur.

What do you lot pack that helps make your trips more tolerable?

I am yet to go on a tour, but Zippy Clips seem to be on every ones list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:26 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one I personally find useful but in this day and age, a USB battery seems to be up there. See lots of people with a sad-on because their phone is flat.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
See lots of people with a sad-on because their phone is flat.

I'm staying in hostels so hopefully charging my phone won't be to much of a problem.
I'm not tough enough to do wild/desolate camping where there is no electricity Shocked

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I'm staying in hostels so hopefully charging my phone won't be to much of a problem

Don't count on finding a socket in a hostel dorm room, battery pack is small enough to take, even if you don't need it. Stinky probably still uses a Box Brownie but I use my phone for photos, music and sometimes directions so it can be a PITA if flat.

Pair of trainers is important for me. Seems obvious maybe but some people don't bother and end up wandering around in the evenings in their bike boots.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Odds and sods for touring? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
some string and resealable freezer bags to solve the little problems that occur.

What small problems are you solving with those? Genuine question.

I carry various zip ties (including metal ones) and SS lockwire in my toolkit, a length of electrical wire, a couple pairs of nitrile gloves. Couple of spare cam straps. That's always on the bike under the seat.
Bike also has a 12v din plug and a usb socket fitted so I've never worried about power packs.

I always carry a small torch and a swiss army knife.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

Pair of trainers is important for me. Seems obvious maybe but some people don't bother and end up wandering around in the evenings in their bike boots.

Its not a choice, I was born this way.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

puncture repair & tire inflator.. areas of low population ie. north Scotland & Dolomites.. filled fuel can...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
areas of low population ie. north Scotland.. filled fuel can...

I've never needed to do this in Scotland. Just a case of topping up whenever you can, whether low on fuel or not. I suppose you could end up on a route where it could be handy, but these days you can look up online where fuel is available before you travel.
Won't need it for Wales for sure.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:23 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The means to sort a puncture, spare bulbs, basic tool kit, sat nav if abroad. I take more than one type of money card, one of which must be a credit card. I have the bike as prepared as it's possible to have it. I never really thought of not taking something to wear on my feet off the bike. Sounds like a no brainer. We don't camp any more so more space for other stuff though the wife is well trained in not over doing it.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
Matt B wrote:

Its not a choice, I was born this way.

You know I was thinking of you when I wrote it Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:11 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

Shorts, t-shirt and Tech 10 motocross boots.

I have no shame!

They may be equivalent to walking around with a cast on, but you get used to it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bother taking alternative footwear anymore. I have short AlpineStars boots which I've gone fell-walking in, even some easy scrambling, although they don't grip so well on wet rock or wet grass. They're comfortable enough to walk all day in. They're all I took on my last two Euro tours too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:22 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did actually do a bit of rock-climbing in the Tech 10s... very stiff so great for getting support from a small crevice.

Not so great for a sticky sole or movement of your ankle however!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I did actually do a bit of rock-climbing in the Tech 10s... very stiff so great for getting support from a small crevice.

Not so great for a sticky sole or movement of your ankle however!

You probably won't break your ankles when you fall off that cliff though Thumbs Up Smile

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
areas of low population ie. north Scotland.. filled fuel can...

I've never needed to do this in Scotland. Just a case of topping up whenever you can, whether low on fuel or not. I suppose you could end up on a route where it could be handy, but these days you can look up online where fuel is available before you travel.
Won't need it for Wales for sure.

the main routes will not be a problem but
the small village pump (singular) variety keep shop hours 9am till 5pm .. often 30-50 miles apart .. even shorter week-end trading..
the sort you find on the north coast routes .. A384 .. A386.. A894..
I managed it with 20 mins to spare before they shut .. the bike would not have made it otherwise .... entertaining ..... next time I`ll take a can... puts the range from 170 to 220 miles...

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
the small village pump (singular) variety keep shop hours 9am till 5pm

I agree with this. Also if using GPS / Google Maps to find next pump, sometimes you find out after you arrive that it closed down a year or more ago.

For touring on the continent, a couple of credit / debit cards, one of which is a currency card (I use Caxton). There was one semi-hairy moment I had three weeks ago at a French pump on a Sunday, both my UK credit and debit card were refused, but my EUR+USD Caxton worked.

I also keep a 50 EUR note in an inside pocket of my jacket.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers, before we start getting advice on kit to take when negotiating the Gobi desert, maybe you should mention you're going to Wales Wink

Don't forget yer toothbrush Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:53 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

You probably won't break your ankles when you fall off that cliff though Thumbs Up Smile

Indeed... break your knee instead, where it concentrates all the force Smile.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Don't forget yer toothbrush Smile

I've got everything I need , I was just wondering what other nic-Naks others packed in their kit.
As for my toothbrush, that was the first thing I packed Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Odds and sods for touring? Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
pepperami wrote:
some string and resealable freezer bags to solve the little problems that occur.

What small problems are you solving with those? Genuine question.

Any problem that requires string and freezer bags Thumbs Up Laughing

Tying down my bag when my straps break, or keeping my phone dry in the rain.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

For touring on the continent, a couple of credit / debit cards, one of which is a currency card (I use Caxton). There was one semi-hairy moment I had three weeks ago at a French pump on a Sunday, both my UK credit and debit card were refused, but my EUR+USD Caxton worked.

I also keep a 50 EUR note in an inside pocket of my jacket.

France yeah Laughing we went to 2 via the sat-nav that were flattened before we found one still there & dispensing fuel ... and again had to use a credit card..

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
the small village pump (singular) variety keep shop hours 9am till 5pm

I agree with this. Also if using GPS / Google Maps to find next pump, sometimes you find out after you arrive that it closed down a year or more ago.

It looks like the Caxton card is the better deal

https://www.lovemoney.com/bestbuys/4922/the-best-prepaid-cards-for-spending-abroad

I have used the Post Office travel money card for the last two years Euro-tours and had no problems except for the hidden charges once the statement came through Thumbs Down
As I still have nearly £500 on my card I went to my local Post Office branch the other day to arrange to get the money out,but the person behind the counter could not understand why I would want to do this and why not just leave it on there.....BECAUSE IT IS MY MONEY YOU DAFT BINT !!!!!

Always have a 'Plan B'

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:29 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the kit you take depends upon the route destination & bike.
ie predominantly road riding in UK on a modern bike- phone to call out breakdown or Morocco via Spain in October- on 250cc bikes, off road, but stopping in hostels- then a different set up required.
Have a good time, wherever you go & do take photos/videos to make us all insanely jealous!

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB power pack, charge on the bike during the day, power stuff in the tent/hotel at night.

Small gas stove, 3-in-1 coffee sachets, all day breakfast in a can, bottle of water.

tyre plugging kit, tyre inflator, mushrooms and tyre levers.
Tool kit to undo everything on the bike, multimeter, test light, booster cables.

piece of wire twice the length of the bike, various fuses, electrical tape, and crimp connectors.
set of bulbs, front wheel bearings, starter relay, pair of brake pads, throttle pull cable & throttle cable repair kit.

If i'm staying in the UK, I usually take the trailer.
In the trailer, tent, blow up bed, generator, heater, stove, kettle, pans, laptop and a load of other home comforts.

https://i.imgur.com/HVlYL95.jpg
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2