Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBF125 that old problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:10 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: CBF125 that old problem Reply with quote

The known common issue with certain year CBF125's loosing power due to a combination of reasons... Has a reliable solution ever been found? I've been looking online about this quite a lot and find many old threads all over the show with lots of different fixes that only work for some, or are only temporary, also solutions where they tries a ton of stuff first so its not clear exactly which step fixed it...

Has anyone seen a definitive answer which isolates the primary cause and/or part to clean/replace/modify for it to work properly?

Inb4 replace the whole bike... sadly not an option as our lass is still a learner and a replacement bike is waaaay beyond budget.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fuel pump isn't full of gunk. There's no filter on it. The original fix was "replace fuel pump"

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:39 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, but they are dear Sad

Had bits off it last night and its got compression, good spark, but no sight or smell of fuel when trying to turn it over.

Of course I know of the issues with the CBF125 and fuel pump. This bike is well out of warranty now though so I'm at the mercy of the dealer if the pump recall applies to bikes out of warranty.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a cheaper solution, if anyone knows if there has ever been any luck taking one apart and fixing it (I know they are sealed non serviceable parts... but that doesn't mean its not possible) Or if a more reliable pump from a different vehicle I could find at a scrappers would probably work?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:11 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend less on solutions that don't work?

Eh, it's a cheap hack made by and for the Indian market. If it's not rusted out already, give it 5 more minutes.

You might be as well throwing it on Gumtree as an "easy fix, just don't have the time".

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:10 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend nothing at all if its a case of simply dismantling it and cleaning crap out of it.
Spend less if there are similar pumps from other vehicles which may be more common in scrappers.
Very reluctant to buy a new fuel pump on ebay/amazon as they may be the recalled faulty ones someone is trying to get rid of.
The only way to be sure its genuine is to pay the £200 odd for a brand new one.

This is all assuming the dealer won't help out. Our lass needs this back on the road for work, we 100% can't afford to buy a new bike, we could just barely afford the brand new pump, but ofc cheaper solutions are always better, even if its something we have to keep doing every fortnight (i.e. cleaning it out) In a few months a replacement will be a lot easier to swallow, and in 6 months we could probably afford a new bike. but until then this thing NEEDS to keep running, somehow....

How easy is it do you think to stick a carb on it? Keep the electronic ignition of course. but replace the throttle body with a cheap carb off a CG or something? bi-passing the need for the pump. or am I just being silly?...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1