Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Testing continuity and "continuity to ground"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
MORTYandrick This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:40 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.

In most cases, there is only a single cable/strap going between the battery negative and ground, all the other companants earth through the frame. So for a continuity test, the battery need not be connected.

The answer is in the question really. You are checking "continuity to ground" and the whole frame on a bike is "ground". So you are checking for continuity between the measuring point and any piece of bare metal on the engine or frame rather than the battery negative. (the metal facing of the ignition lock is a good one. I usually stick the negative terminal of my meter in the key "gate")

A simple visual inspection will normally tell you if the battery to ground connection is good.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check fuel injectors with a PP9 battery. Pull the injector, put a couple of wires on the terminals and then to the battery. It'll click and the pintle will pull in if it's working.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
MORTYandrick This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It suggests that the body of the injector is electrically isolated from the terminals so there is no continuity to ground from either terminal. That sounds ok to me but I'm not an expert.

However there is resistance between the terminals and that's where the current would flow - into one and out of the other. Again, that sounds ok to me.

What does the test procedure expect to find for a good injector?

Pete's suggestion for testing the injector is a good one - he knows what he's talking about. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:37 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORTYandrick wrote:

I tried connecting one end of the multimeter to the chassis and the other end to a point 1cm away on the chassis too- yet it still shows OL infinite resistance

SInce you got a resistance reading on the injector, your meter must be working (you can easily test by touching the probes together, this should read zero resistance). As such one or more of your probes are not making good, metal to metal contact with the chassis. Remember it needs to be touching bare, unpainted metal (bolt head or similar). Corrosion also does not conduct electricity in any meaningful way.

So I'd repeat that grounding test on the injector once you're sure your meter is making good contact with the chassis. It should read a very low or zero resistance between any two points on the chassis.

I have no experience of fuel injectors so I don't know if they're supposed to be earthed to the chassis or not but that's how you'd do a grounding test.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORTYandrick wrote:
Oh the paragraph I wrote was saying the tests for the fuel injector were good as described by the manual.

The main thing was: "if electrons take the path of least resistance wouldn't electrons from the negative lead of multimeter not find it easier to flow across that 1cm piece of metal back to the multimeter via the positive terminal?
yet they prefer to flow through the neg lead through the rest of chassis and away? "

Not if the body of the injector is electrically isolated from the terminals.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You test continuity to ground by disconnecting both terminals of the battery, for a ground connection attach one probe of your multi meter to the disconnected Negative (earth) terminal, this will allow you to test the earth connection between the batteries negative (earth) terminal and the chassis/engine for resistance. Some bikes have an earth wire to connect the chassis to the engine but most rely on the engine mounting points for a good earth but these can corrode creating a resistance which is what you are testing for. If a resistance is found by this test method the best and quickest option is to connect a cable of at least 6mm dia between the chassis and the engine to create a good earth using non corroded chassis and engine bolts as termination points.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two pins in the injector are simply either end of a solenoid pull-in coil (because that's all an injector is - a solenoid with a needle valve on the end). When you energise the coil it pulls the armature in and open the injector. I never saw one that had continuity to ground/the body and if it did then it would cause a short if it were ever wired backwards which is a hazard for a fuel system part so I doubt that there are any.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem...

Islander wrote:
It suggests that the body of the injector is electrically isolated from the terminals

Ahem...

Islander wrote:
Not if the body of the injector is electrically isolated from the terminals.

Much the same as...

Pete wrote:
I never saw one that had continuity to ground/the body

Wink

Actually, reversing the connections shouldn't really cause a short as it's a coil operating as a solenoid and therefore electrically identical whichever way it's connected - unless there's a reverse EMF prevention diode encapsulated in the assembly of course, but I'd expect that to be built into the actual control circuit that drives it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what problem are you trying to fix? It sounds like you're trying to go too deeply into things that probably have no fault at all.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORTYandrick wrote:
I am trying to fix nothing. I am trying to learn- these are all checks to make in the manual IF something is wrong.
Look at my profile Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you've basically been using up people's time on the precept that you have a problem that needs solving when in fact all you have is an idle curiosity, no problem and no clue.

Quote:
I've been trying to check my fuel injector's ok

No you haven't. You already know it's OK, and now so do all of us who were trying to help you.

For that reason - I'm out!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To explain, people that post in this forum (Workshop) are usually looking for help with a problem rather than just trying to learn about things which in itself is creditable. We were under the impression that you had a problem with your injector.

To answer your questions though, the injector terminals are the electrical connectors on the body of the injector, the wiring terminals are indeed the ones in the connector on the loom. The injector is the injector.

You're overthinking the rest. There should be a resistance (as defined in the manual) between the two pins on the connector body. There should be infinite resistance between either pin and the metallic part of the injector. That's it.

Pete's suggestion of using a 9v battery to test operation of the injector nozzle is a quick and efficient way of eliminating electrical problems with the injector.

neptune8
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small point here. Stating the obvious, but the "continuity to earth test"
must be done with the injector installed on the engine!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the things on a bike or fuel system that could go wrong, the injector must be just about last on the list. It's one of the most reliable components you could find on a bike.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2