Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Securing non-bike luggage on a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Securing non-bike luggage on a bike? Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of wearing a rucksack while riding, in case I come off and land on it (spinal injuries?)

So I was thinking of getting a gym bag, and strapping it to the pillion seat.

Would cam buckles be good enough to secure it?

(Ones like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/cambuckle-tie-down-straps-2-5m-x-25mm-2-pack/87355
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Securing non-bike luggage on a bike? Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Would cam buckles be good enough to secure it? (Ones like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/cambuckle-tie-down-straps-2-5m-x-25mm-2-pack/87355

Better: https://www.rokstraps.com/
A small cargo net is also useful to keep under your seat (eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282493254067 at £1.50)

I totally agree about not wanting to wear a rucksack, but any particular reason not to buy a bespoke tail-pack or seat bag, which would do the job much better than a gym bag?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, yes.
I use a couple of shortened cam straps for my work bag (ortlieb dry bag). Have a look at Lomo dry bags too. They seem to get decent reviews.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about ruck sack, and preferring not to wear one on a bike.

In the past I've fixed ruck sack to back of bike like a tail pack, depending on type, can work quite well, using bags own straps and a bungee or two, and/or couple of cable ties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:44 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rok straps

You probably could have googled your question, ordered some rok straps, and had them delivered in the time it took to make this thread

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a dry bag. Then you stuff will stay, well, dry.

Camlocks are ok but they can come loose as stuff compresses in the bag.

Good old fashioned bungees work well too but you need to be picky where you get them. Any I've had off ebay recently have been utter crap.

Lomo do good, strong bungees, as well as motorcycle specific dry bags.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Dry-bags-Accessories.html

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

You probably could have googled your question, ordered some rok straps, and had them delivered in the time it took to make this thread

I could have not only ordered them, but also have them delivered well within 60 seconds? Show me where!

But yes, I could have simply googled it, which would have got me a straight answer but probably no opinions from those who have used them, and if everybody always googled everything then this forum would be dead... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too worried about a dry bag, and the reason for going for a gym bag over motorbike specific gear is mainly cost related.

I had thought about bungies, but was unsure if they would be secure enough.
I also thought about 1" ratchet straps, but thought that might be overkill and crush stuff in the bag.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:06 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungees. 6 of them.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/rbr/67.png

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:24 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I'm not too worried about a dry bag, and the reason for going for a gym bag over motorbike specific gear is mainly cost related.

I had thought about bungies, but was unsure if they would be secure enough.
I also thought about 1" ratchet straps, but thought that might be overkill and crush stuff in the bag.

If cost is an issue then see the recommendations above for LOMO, it's stuff designed for Kayakers, it's not pretty, but it works and their 30l rucksack is cheaper than most gymbags, at less than £30, strap it to the seat, wear it like a rucksack when you get there, a gym bag won't last five minutes on the back of a bike.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a commute or similar, ROK straps or bungies - if they're just the right length - are fine.

I wouldn't use them for touring, I far prefer cam lock luggage straps for that, but that's because I like to throw the bike around a lot and and I wouldn't trust 20+kg of luggage not to budge without being tightened right down. Bungies are fine for waterproofs etc. on top. Cam straps are too much of a faff for a commute though.

Quote:
a gym bag won't last five minutes on the back of a bike.

This isn't true - I've toured about 20k miles with a gym bag strapped on the back; to Spain three times, to Germany a couple of times, all the way to Croatia and back, to Scotland and back, and all around Ireland. I used rubble sacks to keep stuff both compartmentalized and dry. The bag ends up pretty dirty from spray, all it needs to do is hold stuff together when it's clamped down though.

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:02 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://68.media.tumblr.com/c978c6d7893cdf01904a08dea6937aef/tumblr_ow1efeQbPA1wakw7wo1_540.jpg

I wouldnt over complicate it - Bungees should be fine just get a pack from amazon and use a couple more than you really need. Cheap and cheerful.

Did the job for me for a trip around Normandy with a full dry bag. Rode through some hellish rain, did some French motorway speeds and even a few twisties... albeit it is hardly the quickest/niblest bike in the world.

Everything stayed in the right place.

(is it bungees or bungies?!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with wearing a backpack on a bike.... I've found they can offset your balance at anything over 140 (as I found out coming back from last years bbq Embarassed ), the only thing I used a ratchet strap for was holding the CBR wheel on the back of the ninja and it was secure enough..... for everything else I just use cheap old Aldi bungee cords

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
Rok straps

but then I would not have known screwfix sold such things .. as the similar strap I use is on its way out.

PS. I don`t use it as the only securing method .. two bungees are also required to complete a secure fastening to the bike... a cargo net would also suffice.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

plastic tub to catch the oil .. nice touch ... Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday and today I am on the bike , my kit is in a dry-bag inside a gym kit bag.
My gym kit bag is secured to my by a couple of bungee cargo nets and a couple of extra bungee straps.
It works well, no issues. Thumbs Up

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys!

Maybe I just need to trust bungees more! I've got loads of them, so will have a try.

Sports direct were selling bags for less than a tenner, I was going to try one of those.

I've got a couple of camlock straps I bought to move my kayak about, so might throw one in the bag just in case it does move.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just nipped into the local Sports Direct, £6.99, that'll do me...

https://images.lonsdale.com/images/imgzoom/70/70501398_xxl.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:30 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do whatever takes your fancy.

I'm currently running a hipster waxed cotton bag on the Enfield, "secured" with a carbiner through a cable tie on one side, and a Poundland cable lock on the other. Yesterday it had a 7kg bag of catfud in it, although I did sling a bungie temporarily over it out of an over-abundance of caution.

The tail bag on my Ninja is secured with three long cable ties: one down each side to the footpeg hangers and one looped under the tail.

Both bags regularly carry laptops and grocery shopping, no drama.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've just been a bit paranoid about a bag falling off. I strap enough stuff to the roof of the car, and to trailers, that I should know what I'm doing by now. Lol

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:58 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to do is make sure you secure it in such a way as if it comes off, it comes right off. So straps/bungees over it to hold it down but not round it to tether it on.

I once had a bag slip off the back and get eaten by the back wheel at 90mph.

It locked the wheel by the time I'd fishtailed down to 30mph and the bag was smoking and nearly on fire by the time I came to a halt. Took 3 of us to drag the smouldering remains out from between the wheel and the swingarm.

The main worry with bungees is self-injury as they are being put on and off. I have a mate who insists on helmet on, visor down before engaging in bungee related activities. In fairness, I have another mate who came within a few mm of losing an eye. He landed up with a proper shiner and a nasty cut over his cheekbone.

parahandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:24 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used Bungeys, but found the hooks can damage the paintwork, the hooks are pretty lethal. It got such a saga setting them up touring I bought a couple of Rok straps instead and they secure better,easily fitted and adjustable. I use a waterproof duffle bag which secures well on the suit.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I once had a bag slip off the back and get eaten by the back wheel at 90mph.

I never thought about that. Was going to sort of tether it on, maybe not now! Lol

I've not had issues with bungees and personal injuries. Am I doing something wrong to not injure myself?

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:20 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about good old cargo nets?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done four days on some really rough roads in some of the rainiest rain.
My kit was in a gym kit bag,secured by bungee cargo nets and I had absolutely no issues at all.

I'm lucky in that my bike has special points for fixing straps/bungees.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2