Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Settling for a bike after a2 pass

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:30 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Settling for a bike after a2 pass Reply with quote

Alright so on Friday I managed to pass my Mod 2 at 7AM in the morning, in a thunder storm and managed to pass; even the instructor came out on his bike. But I wasn't wearing waterproofs in which I soon regretted to the noise of wet leather, along with the swimming pool in my chosen outfit.

So I did my test on an ER-5, quite nice for a small bike but not really my cup of tea, now I'm looking at letting the "restrictors" fall off on the bike I get. I'm looking at getting a Bandit 600, as there's no point in trying to go for a sports bike until I get my unrestricted license.

Now I like Bandit 600's as there's more "tuning" options and they generally look good with that reliable B6 engine. But every time there's someone to ask about "Improving performance" later on down the line people say to throw a 750 or a 1200 lump but that's an obvious eye catcher for invalid insurance.

I know there's a TTS 884 big bore kit but it costs £1,350; Quite a lot and they quoted me a 45% power increase. Although it would sort of be a bandit 600 still. I don't plan on doing it straight away. I just like getting down and having a project to do with a big grin factor at the end of the process.

But before you say it, I know that an A2 bike will never be "fast" or blow me away, I'm used to power as I've been on some of my buddies bikes, a z1000, CBR 1000, GSXR 600. But that was on quiet days with roads that hardly ever get touched. So I am aware of the "power" issue. that's why I'm trying to make the most out of what I can have, I don't mind getting my hands dirty to get a bike to a decent standard.

What do you guys think about Bandit 600's, what is there to look out for? What do you think about the power of a Bandit, if it gets a bit boring what would you do to increase said power without having a noticeable "That doesn't look like a Bandit 600 engine" quote.

Thank you all

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:52 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on passing your Mod 2!

I wouldnt waste time 'tuning' a bandit tbh, just wait till you get your A license and then spend the dollar on a decent bike.

If you want a project buy an old non runner bike and fix it up - dont waste money on big bore kits Very Happy

just my 2 cents

Ash

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:55 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Congrats on passing your Mod 2!

I wouldnt waste time 'tuning' a bandit tbh, just wait till you get your A license and then spend the dollar on a decent bike.

If you want a project buy an old non runner bike and fix it up - dont waste money on big bore kits Very Happy

just my 2 cents

Ash

Thank you very much, it is just incase I get bored of it further on down the line; was looking at my options for it. Thank you

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

This.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

This.

Thirded.

Not bored with my Bandit ... yet ...

If you're looking at Bandits, check the collector box where the downpipes meet the linkpipe. They rust for a hobby! Replacements aren't cheap but welded repairs are (usually) possible.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:17 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be such foggits. Every £1 spent on upgrading a Bandit 600 will recoup £3 or £4 when you come to sell it. Particularly blue anodised parts.

As above, just ride out your restriction. You might consider an FZS600 instead.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

or getting a hooligan supermoto. I hear that the duke is a fun ride. Can be A2 compliant (unless I'm mistaken) which means you won't get rapped when you crash an illegally derestricted non-fun bandit.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:01 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what your plan is really.

If you really are just 'settling' on an A2 bike, then get whatever's cheap secondhand locally and stick with it for the 2 years. ER6-f, Bandit, SV650S, all much of a muchness I suspect. Get some no claims and save the monies for what you actually want.

If you're planning on 'restricting' the bike as you suggest, then the metric is probably whatever gives most unrestricted performance. I don't actually know what the most balls to the wall A2 restrictable bike is at present, but any gains over the bandit are probably minimal.

However, it's worth noting that a 'restricted' bike still isn't legal, and a 'tuned' bandit is probbly fairly easily identified if you get pulled, especially if the V5 notes the new capacity and even more especially as actually restricting a bored out bandit engine down to A2 spec in the time between getting pulled and being legally obliged to present the bike for a dyno test is possibly quite difficult.

As such you might as well say fuck it and buy a Fireblade. It's no less legal so might as well have all the reward for the potential risk.

The third category is to buy the A2 bike you actually want. You've got two years and you can't have a sportsbike, but there must be A2 bikes that actually appeal to you at least a bit? I'm in the same boat, 1.5years into restriction and I'd quite like an R1, but I can honestly say that I like my MT-07 very much, to the point that I probably wont swap it for at least 6 months after getting big boys license. Up to you I guess...

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:15 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to do A2 again I would buy a FZS600 and "destrict" it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you see I'd go another route. I'd start with a bike that's under 47bhp naturally, and make it lighter if possible, or just buy a silly non compliant bike like a 100kg 40bhp 125/200 or 250/300.

When A2 was up I'd keep the silly bike, and then save up or go finance on a nice standard big bore machine.

People think that getting a new bike is always better, but no matter how much you crave stepping up to a new R1, it wouldn't be as good for nipping to the shops, running errands on or carving up dusty quiet country roads or commuting etc.

The trick IMO with more than one bike is to have silly extremes, that mean neither or none of your bikes is good for everything. So for example if you had a KTM 200EXC and the R1, then neither are comfortable for lots of uses, and neither would you like to plonk your arse on all day long and crank out the miles.

Don't buy lots of similar bikes, and don't just keep getting bigger and better heavier bikes thinking they are all things to all men.

The above doesn't apply so much if your a leisure/summer rider only, and you just want to ride with your mates on Sundays who all ride a GSXR/R1/ZXR etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
If I was going to do A2 again I would buy a FZS600 and "destrict" it.

As above if you're going to go illegal you might as well do it properly. I believe someone on here rides a blade on an A2 license, I guess you need an insurer who doesn't ask questions.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Well done. Reply with quote

Where do you get tests at 7am?
Anyhoo....why do you (I) care..?
Get a fireblade.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1