Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My first 'what bike' thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: My first 'what bike' thread Reply with quote

Looking for a quickish sports bike for funnies while using the fz6 for commuting duty,

What can I get sub 2k that'll be good fun and reasonably quick (ie quicker than the fz6)

Daytona 650s any good? Would prefer 675 but way out of price range for some funsies

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: My first 'what bike' thread Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
Looking for a quickish sports bike for funnies while using the fz6 for commuting duty,

What can I get sub 2k that'll be good fun and reasonably quick (ie quicker than the fz6)

Daytona 650s any good? Would prefer 675 but way out of price range for some funsies

EASY!
Fireblade.
Ignore the fact I am having issues with mine...
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:35 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
I wonder how many armchair experts recommend bikes they have never ridden in this thread.

Like you and an R6?

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: My first 'what bike' thread Reply with quote

winz wrote:
Shinigami wrote:

EASY!
Fireblade.
Ignore the fact I am having issues with mine...

Fireblade could be an option but no idea what year vs cost to look for. Plus I'm not a police officer

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:42 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you mean for fun really, and whether quick is needed.

Most fun you can have is probably on some beastly supermoto or a really highly strung 2 stroke.

Speed however, you gonna want dat litre for ease of speed.

I had a Daytona 600, so similar to the 650. I can't say it was 'fast' but it was certainly a nice sports bike to ride. Japs would trounce it though.

My R1 was 2100, so you might be able to find one. That was alright.

Erm... for fun I'd want a supermoto, however for speed I'd want a litre.
In the middle, you've probably got a C1H or an R6... the rest are too fat (Early K GSXR) or flat (CBR600RR from 03)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:47 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an unpopular opinion but what about an old 400 supersport?

Not as fast as the fazer but involves ragging the shit out of them.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:00 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get one for the money and you want speed and high stress levels with your fun then a Fireblade is hard to beat.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:40 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/WeeCountyClassicBikes/?hc_ref=ARS92_DgYXfd8OvzUO8hsbin9ObyKe8-NU-eMeb9TY8kUmWljPU0J-X7CfCjKJxyZgk

Decent looking blade

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly agree with Paddy here. Fun, and speed ain't really the same thing.

All I'd say to OP is what is it about owning two 600cc Howling IL4's is going to give you a hard on? They're both going to sound the same, have about the same midrange and mpg. One might be 20mph faster, but it's not different enough and doesn't compute to me.

I've had a 600cc IL4 and ridden 750cc and a 950cc IL4's all sports bikes in this case. But after a 600, if I had to have another IL4 bike I'd want it to be say 1100-1300cc just to see if going for big and lazy feels any different?

I certainly wouldn't want a slightly midrange deficient 14000rpm litre bike that when wound out will do well over 180mph. I'd want a contrasting bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
I wonder how many armchair experts recommend bikes they have never ridden in this thread.

And what of it? If it presents an option to the OP that they wouldn't have otherwise thought of then it's done its job. It's unlikely the OP would say 'oh well BCF Random says it's great so I'll just buy one without any further research'.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:24 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It's unlikely the OP would say 'oh well BCF Random says it's great so I'll just buy one without any further research'.

Then why are we even... Brick Wall

Fireblade, obvs. See if you can find a pre-crashed streetfightered one for Paddy money to add an extra 50% subjective speed.

sjc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:05 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF900,
I had one and it was surprisingly fast.
And they are cheap as chips. Quite heavy though.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:08 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Maybe an unpopular opinion but what about an old 400 supersport?

Not as fast as the fazer but involves ragging the shit out of them.

Old 500 sport(ish) already in possession and hated by him. Equally he hated my r3 so I think big engine for lazy speed is more the thing than working hard to thrash a bike.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:33 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Fazer The Bastard wrote:

Like you and an R6?

https://m.quickmeme.com/img/64/647577c47a1ca113db416de0151509212ee6156b664a329c4654ed441e3c49be.jpg

Anyway, back on topic.

Shinigami wrote:
Sportsbike, less than 2k, quicker than FZ6.

How about an early R1?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
arry wrote:
It's unlikely the OP would say 'oh well BCF Random says it's great so I'll just buy one without any further research'.

Then why are we even... Brick Wall.

Hadn't even heard of a 990 SMT before someone suggested one. Without the original prompt I'd not to have known to research further.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Hadn't even heard of a 990 SMT before someone suggested one. Without the original prompt I'd not to have known to research further.

Same with the MT-03, well I'd looked at it before but someone suggested it and I went out and bought one.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjc wrote:
RF900,
I had one and it was surprisingly fast.
And they are cheap as chips. Quite heavy though.

There is a reason for the low price. It's 20+ years old now and wasn't really a looker even when it was brand new. Suzuki has much nicer and better motorcycles to offer. I'm surprising myself typing this, as I've always avoided Suzuki motorcycles. Although, I fancied a Bandit 1200 back in my ''need more torque'' days.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR1000 K1/K2 can be had for around that price. I love mine great commuter (comfy and lazy litre power is nice). Awesome fun to thrash but thrashing it means really silly speeds being achieved really quickly.

I thinks it's the best litre bike of that period and current price bracket, similar age Fireblades and R1's make less power and weigh about the same.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:

What would you recommend then 'tard?

Actually, if you wanted something a little different, my Blackbird is for sale, would let it go for £2k.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:51 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not the 9 then? Lighter, faster, very similar money.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:02 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX6R A1P

Still my favourite bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Duke 640 could be had for around the 2k mark.

As you own the fazer I would be looking for either a litre bike or a supermoto. Rode a handful of sport derived 600 IL4's and they are all similar. Too similar to warrant another one as a second bike.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to whisper this one, there is so much negativity about, but..... Aprilia.
Falco for cheap as chips, Tuano for the looks, RSV for the white knuckles. I admit, they sound like ten pneumatic drills going off under the tank, imminent self destruction... but, they just keep on making that racket wile going deceptively quickly. High quality everything, slim, easy to maneuver. I know you'll say I got conned into buying one, but, honestly, these things are are an absolute blast, never thought I'd compare them to a 'blade, but they compare very well!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2