Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

All Year Round Commuter 125cc Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dragoncarp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:58 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: All Year Round Commuter 125cc Advice Reply with quote

Greetings All @ BCF,

My Fiancee & I just completed our CBT's together & are looking at getting a couple of 125cc manual bikes for all year round UK commuting as well as getting out together at evenings/weekends etc

We would like to gain some more experience riding before going for our DAS tests so maybe a year but definitely*edited thanks Thumbs Up * before having to take a CBT again.

What I'm looking at is finding a couple of safe bikes for riding in wet weather being an all year UK commuter. I understand riding in wet is never going to safe but I want to limit the danger by having a stable bike with decent tyres.

We are looking at 2017 Honda CB125F but the wheel size is putting me off due to having 18's whereas others have 17's & the tyre makers are slow in making tyres in those sizes.

I've read reviews of Pirelli City Demon's which I was looking at but read bad things about (open to any personal reviews on these from BCF members)

The other bike from the same price point is the Yamaha YS125 which does have 17inch wheels. Both these bikes have front disc brakes & rear drums but the Honda has something called Linked braking system but no idea if that is similar to having a rear disc but cheaper?

We tried the 2017 KTM Duke (which I was going to get initially as I was the only one going to be doing the CBT as my partner drives) but when she sat on the KTM she was on tip toes being a short (not real short) lady although the dealer said they have an Ergo seat option that may make a difference but didn't have one on any of the bikes there to test that theory.

But buying the KTM at 4k to keep for less than 2 years may not be worth it. A couple at 2.7k each with service plans may lost a thousand off each when the time comes to trade in.

We are looking at the new Honda 500 Rebels when we eventually do the DAS.

So the question is which out of the Honda CB125F or Yamaha YS125 would be the best all year round commuter with performance in the wet? If the Yamaha has the better tyre options but the Honda has the better stopping?

Or does it really matter they are only 10BHP 125cc's only do 66 Max what you worrying for idiot? Embarassed

Sorry for the big post & Thanks for reading it all if you did Cool

Last edited by Dragoncarp on 18:19 - 11 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: All Year Round Commuter 125cc Advice Reply with quote

YS also has 18" wheels and linked ("unified", Yamaha call it) brakes

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/urban-mobility/ys125.aspx

So, basically, this:

Dragoncarp wrote:

Or does it really matter they are only 10BHP 125cc's only do 66 Max what you worrying for idiot? Embarassed

Dragoncarp wrote:
defiantly before having to take a CBT again.

Yep, defiantly is definitely the best approach.

Dragoncarp
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:23 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it boils down to personal preference & which I can get a better deal on then.

Thanks Very Happy

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:14 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the cheapest 2nd hand ones you can find. Cg, ybr, cbf or varadero. Buying a new 125 would be a bad decision!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 125s have to have linked brakes or ABS now (why can I feel Rogerborg staring at me). Service plans on a 125 will be a £10 oil change, not really worth it. If you go new you'll be taking a large hit on depreciation.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:35 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sense the hand of Tef...
but why not get more instruction/training, pass a test, and buy bigger bikes instead of riding around on 125s picking up bad habits?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:12 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a lot more good habits than bad. Like, for instance, learning to cancel my signals. Secondly, the importance of shoulder checks and life-savers and when to use them. Thirdly, why and how to undertake basic maintenance.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:19 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragoncarp wrote:
My Fiancee & I just completed our CBT's together & are looking at getting a couple of 125cc manual bikes for all year round UK commuting as well as getting out together at evenings/weekends etc

Good answer for wrong reasons. 125's can make excelent learner/commuters... that / is an 'or' not an 'and'... light weight and easly manageable, they are a great teaching tool; if you can be sooth and make progress on a limited power lightweight, should be a doddle on a big bike.. hence good learner tool. With little engine and lightweight mechanics, they tend not to be able to put much stress on stuff, so they ca be reasonably ecconomical to ride ad maintain... though they do tend to suffer rather badly in that they do need to be maintained, on a quite demanding little and often basis many just dont get. Otherwise, insurance may be a bit punative due to learner-loading and easy nickability compared to bigger bikes that are often cheaper, penny price annual tax, reletively low maintenance costs and usually 'better' mpg, they can be very ecconomical way to work, if not as wonderful as many presume at first glance comparison of brochure MPG figures.
Dragoncarp wrote:
We would like to gain some more experience riding before going for our DAS tests so maybe a year but definitely*edited thanks Thumbs Up * before having to take a CBT again.

Here the plans falls down... there's no 'DAS test' there's a 'test'.. it is the same 'test' as far as what you have to do, in three parts; The motorcycle Theory/Hazard Pereception test on a computer; then the practical tests; Mod 1 wobbling round cones like you did on the first bit of CBT, and Mod 2 out on the road, again like CBT, proving you can spot and obey speed limits and not kill zittens on Zebra crossings sort of stuff.
Tests are not particularly onerouse and dont take an awful lot of skill or experience to pass..

Theory... now, is bout 1/5th highway code basic driver know-how, that's 90% common sense and about 10% 'have you actuall read the book ad learned by rote' things like puffin crossngs or stopping distances you know or you dont.... and then a load more must read the book, 'official' PC policies on enviro-mental-ism, like why is a tram better for polar bears than a moped... and a chunk load of "We cant afford to pay for the NHS any mre, so IF you want to ride a motorbike, we'd like you to take this first year nursing exam, so you can be a paramedic for us, if ou get a licence'.... and the haz-pep is a cmputer game, like a boring version of GTA without the guns designed to entertain 7 year olds, and baffle grown ups, especially ones over 21 that have used some real roads once or twice! For any-one over 21 especially any one over 21 wqho's actually drven anything on the pulic road, this is probably the hardest one to pass... and is a bit of a lottery.. so buy the book, do the practice discs and take your chances till you get it! It HAS to be done!

Mod 1? Wobbling round the cones... catches many out simly because they over think things and suffer test nerves. Keep calm. Do what the examiner asks, and keep your cool! Its 'just' simple CBT excersises under pressure.

Mod 2: Real Road riding; whole test from start to finish is only abot 45 minutes, and after sorting paperwork and Q&A stuff at the start you'll be unlucky to have to spend much more than half hour in the saddle.. you cant go very far in that time, and all they want you to show them is that you can get accross town without causing hazard to any-one, killing any-one, or breaking basic road laws... it IS essentially a simulated daily commute, little more.

IF you can handle an ACTUAL daily commute.... you can pass the tests...

If you dont THINK you can pass tests... and need more 'practice' or more 'experience' you REALLY shouldn't be planning o tackling that commute, on a regular basis!

Typical commute is in peak traffic in more urban enviroment, where there is most hazards and most traffc and absolutely THE most 'danger'.. this is NOT the best place to be gettig to grips with fine cluyh ctrol or braking or road possitioning.... they are ALL out to get to work, they dont want to be there, but they still have to go, and they wont get paid if they are late, so they DGAS how many low-life bykas they kill to get there on time....

IF you think you can hack that? WHAT on earth makes you think you need 'wait' to take tests? Do it, get it done! Get ticket n the pocket that says "Yeah, man at inistry thinks your up to scratch, too, go for it".. and remember tackling that commute they probably are STILL all out to try kill you....

DAS Direct Access Scheme... three provisions of law:
1/ you may depending on eligible age, ride a motorcycle under provisional entitlement, of greater displacement and power than 125cc/15Kw, IF supervised by an approved and qualified instructor.
2/ You may, take Mod 1 & Mod 2 Tests on such a motorcycle of greater than 125cc/15Kw, if you meet age eligibility
3/ Passing tests on an qualifying motorcycle over 125cc, awarded ether an A2 or A/A3 licence entitlement that allows you to ride, unsupervisd and without L-Plates a bike larger and more powerful than 125c/15Kw.

DAS does NOT demand you do a course.... practically you probably have to, BUT tests are done by Gov't civil servants, Training s offered by private 'schools' and while you may get a one-stop-shop with teh school booking tests and taking you to tests, they are NOT one and the same thing.

Dragoncarp wrote:
What I'm looking at is finding a couple of safe bikes for riding in wet weather being an all year UK commuter. I understand riding in wet is never going to safe but I want to limit the danger by having a stable bike with decent tyres.

Riding a motorbike isn't 'safe'.. and safety is a state of mind, NOT something you can buy.

Dangers on a motorbike are largely NOT the bike, but the idiocy of the rider.. be a prat you'll get hurt, What bike or how big the bike wont make mch differece to 'how' hurt you may get, just how quickly you'll get that hurt.

'Safety wear' dont make you safe either. NOT CRASHING is what makes you 'safe'! A-N-D 'Safety Apparel' is absoltely 'useless' until you crash.. you can layer up in all the latest bestest must have bike geat you like, with as much armour and kevlar and leather and padding as you can get... one make bludger all difference to the twit that SMIDSY's you.. they are just as likeley to knock you off regardless... all safety wear can do is cusion the blow a bit AFTER its all rather too late and you ARE crashing, and it IS gonna hurt!

You want a 'safe' wet weather bike? try one of them thngs bolted to the floor in a gym... though aparently they are still quite dangerouse and folk still manage to suffer dehydration or heart attacks on the damn things! LIFE is dangerouse... if you cant stad the heat, dont go in the kitchen.... and suffer malnutrician! You cant escape it, so deal with it!

And top tip... LESSONS is for LIFE not licences!

Do the training, get some know how, learn how NOT to crash. THAT is what lessons should be doing for you.

CBT compulsary BASIC training, is just that, the FIRST lesson, it is by far a long way from the be all and end all of the job.

A-N-D... idea of heading out on a 125, is going it alone, or the school of hard knocks... it dont teach you the right stuff to do... just tends to punish you for doing the wrong stuff, with hard knocks, that CAN be rather painful on a motorbike!

Dragoncarp wrote:
We are looking at 2017 Honda CB125F but the wheel size is putting me off due to having 18's whereas others have 17's & the tyre makers are slow in making tyres in those sizes.

Duh-WHAT? 18" was the more common size of a motorbike wheel up until the early 1980's when the Japanese makers went techno crazy and started experimentig with 16" wheels, before settling on 17" as the better compromise... by around the late 80's!

18" wheels have been the more usual, especially for a lightweight motorcycle for my entire life time! And thats almost half a bludy century! I have three ruddy 125's outside with 18" wheels, that are almost as old as I am! And a couple of other bigger bikes that use that wheel size! Oh No! I am rather NOT waiting for tyre makers to 'catch up' and make something in that rim size!

This is NOT an issue... and until you have a bike, rather less still.

Dragoncarp wrote:
The other bike from the same price point is the Yamaha YS125 which does have 17inch wheels. Both these bikes have front disc brakes & rear drums but the Honda has something called Linked braking system but no idea if that is similar to having a rear disc but cheaper?

Appears to be an other market variant of the good old YBR125, and specs I have seen still seem to suggest that just like the YBR it has 18" wheels, not that this should be an issue.

On a new bike; there's bog all between the Honda and the Yamaha commuters, they are both bult down to a price point utility machines, that are pretty much the best value you can get 'all-round' and brand new there's effall between them, and I'd be picking more on the fnance package and convenience of my nearest dealer more than any miniscle difference in the brochure specs.

On a second hand bike, again, whats in the rochres makes little odds, what the reviews say even less; what they were like new means bog all after thay have been used and abused by a more or less clued up and contientiouse owner or three, when actal this bike infront of me condition is ALL.

As to brakes, bikes have two wheels, and a brake for each, with a lever for each; 'linked' brakes merely means that brakes on both wheels are 'linked' and pressng the rear brake pedal will operate both front brake and rear together, pulling in the front brake lever, similarly may operate the back brake. How the brakes are linked, and how much 'bias' the levers may give to either brake may vary, but that is the pricple.

And it's not a particularly new one. Guzzi have been using it since at least the 1970's.

Discs vs Drums.. different designs of brake, in the mechanica bits. In a disc brake a caliper squashes a pair of pads against a disc attatched to the wheel. In a drm brake a cam presses a shoe against a drim 'in' the wheel. 'usually' disc brakes use more convoluted hydraulic systems to push the pads, where a drum normally uses a simple rod or cable to move a cam. oth have pro's and cons, and drums actually have more pro's than most give them credit for, they are just as 'powerful' but they aren't as 'sharp' they have a much more progressve take up and a lot more rider 'feel' which can be handy, but leave a numpty feeling they lack bte cos they dont get 'instant' response to lock them and tp them on thier bum! They do require more user maintenance to keep them ingood adjustment and maintain the power they can have, though, but they are cheap and easily user maintained.... but many drum brakes are rather made down to a price and can lack 'bite', particularly on cheaper utilty lightweights. Discs? More expensive; offer more 'instant' brake force, require a delcate touch and less adjustment, though still need maintenance by way of checking and toppng the hydralic flods and cleaning teh calipers that can start to stick, and usually do as many thng 'low' maintenance is 'no' maintenance and never clean them or grease the floats.

Again, NOT issues I would particularly be bothered about in grander scheme.

Dragoncarp wrote:
We tried the 2017 KTM Duke..... But buying the KTM at 4k to keep for less than 2 years may not be worth it.

No, it wouldn't, especially wit KTM's reputation for reliability rumour that thier 125's are now 'almost' if not actually chinese made, like a YBR that's half the price.. A-N-D no matter how flashy it looks in the show-room, its STILL a rather lack-luster performing 125 learner comuter, its just bee compromised in function for look, and given a rather high price ticket for the marketing.

And IF you are panning to learn by this shool of hard knocks, doesn't 'teach' you what to do just punish you for not doing what you should... this could make them hard-knock lessons VERY punishing in the wallet... and frustrating waiting for bits, from KTM's reputation for after sale spport, B-U-T that's just not speculation....

It is NOT a particularly wonderful learner-bike, but if the looks are worth it, and you have the money to waste why not..

Dragoncarp wrote:
when she sat on the KTM she was on tip toes being a short

You have done CBT you say? Do you remember 'the safety postion'?

At rest you sit the bike, left foot down, right foot on the peg coverng if not applyng back brake.

When riding you should ONLY put one foot down, it ought to reach the floor, and go flat! If legs a lttle short bke just lans a tad further, that is all.

More important is how far pegs are from the saddle whe yo are sat on the thing to ride it.. and we buy bikes to RIDE not sit on otside the wine bar... dont we?

Manouvering? Yeah, back to your CBT... you do NOT under any circumstance 'paddle' from the saddle. IF you need to move the bike, GET OFF! Grab the bars ad push the thing with BOTH feet flat on the floor and the biggest bese for stability and best leverage over the bike.

Manual handling is on CBT, its n the Mod 1 test! THIS is how you should shft a bike about, you do NOT need to paddle, you do NOT need to flat-foot both sides.

Its a Non issue... common one, but it is NOT, and its stuff you should have een taught about, where its know-how and techniqe you need, more than a gadget or accessory....

But CBF or YBR, shouldn't be an issue..

Dragoncarp wrote:
We are looking at the new Honda 500 Rebels when we eventually do the DAS.

Cut to the chase, GO o the training, GO get a licence. Do that, qestions of the miniscule differences between 125's will likely be redundant.

Trained and tested, you may STILL go gt 125's to get early miles experience on if you wish, or a post DAS big bike like the Rebel.

Thats not my cup of tea, and if you think the semi-cruser stle and low seat height will suit your shorter O/H, yeah.. again, its how you sit on the bke to ride that matters, and how far footpegs are from bum... cruisry bikes that have low seats may seem a good idea, but high wide bar shorter people with usually shorter arms are spread across like a human parachute and foreward set 'highway' pegs out infron of the engine usually shorter legs may have to stretch to, might NOT be so helpful.. and cruiery bikes aren't usually the 'most' easily managed through town traffic or wheeled about the drive... do look cool outside the wine-bar though... but, whatever turns you on really...

Again for early miles experience a bike with more 'neutral' erganomics like an old CB500 or ER5, would be my suggestion, AND second hand, keep it cheap, 'cos its 'just' to get some early learning on, and its a dar site easier to fix and flog an older bike thats ot on finance and not suffering horendouse new-bike depreciation...

Its first bike, not once and forever bike, keep the options open! Unlike the fiancee, if you want to chop and change a bike wont throw pts and pans at you then get a lawyer to take your house! You can eve have more than one, without them getting all sulky!

But here and now is what bike is NOT really a matter that NEEDS to be dealt with. Nice to dream, But... you eed to look back at the 'plan' to NOT get trained and do some time on a 125 in the school of hard-knocks... vs bting the bullet to Do-DAS get trained and get licenced... THEN with a ticket to ride n your pocket what bike qestions may be more relevent, but trained and tested and a lot of learning done, you aught be a lot better clued to work out whats what and what more of less important for yourself.

Dragoncarp wrote:
So the question is which out of the Honda CB125F or Yamaha YS125 would be the best all year round commuter with performance in the wet?

Back to top, IF you are up to the commute, you should have a full licence, in which question you probably wouldn't want either, but for commuting ether is fine thats what they are designed for!

Dragoncarp wrote:
If the Yamaha has the better tyre options but the Honda has the better stopping?

Your obscession over the wheel sze is just wrong, there's plenty of 18" tyres about. Skinny rubber on a light weight is also an advantage, specially in the wet... Yamahas alagorcally come with pretty crappy tyres as standard, but then so do the honda's on a brand new bike, it would be worth swappng them out for a trusted brand like Mitchelin or Pirelli anyway, and beyond that, like the brakes, A-N-D they have some! They should stop you! If you crash most likely because you being an idiot not because the brakes are or aren't linked or are or aren't discs or drums!

If there is an issue in braking on a lightweight it IS that they are lightweights ad very easy for ham-fisted newby to 'lock up' which means skid and probably a tumble...or you ride into the back of some-one not stopping, cos you are riding too close and or too scared to apply enough brake pressure cos you dont want to lock up and come off.

Ie the bike wont do your job for you... you have to learn to do it properly, and more reasons to ponder them lessons over get on and do on CBT & L's!

Dragoncarp wrote:
Or does it really matter they are only 10BHP 125cc's only do 66 Max

See above may be utterly redundant.. I have held a full bike licence 1/4 century, I still enjoy riding 125's.. the max speed limit in this country s 70mph, they are pretty much as fast as anythig else is legally allowed to go, and can still exceed most speed limits especially round town which is their preffered enviroment. And how quick I can STOP tends to be more important to me than how quick I can 'go'.

On a full licence. a 125, is fantastic around town, where its light weight and anouverablity can be exploited to weave it through traffic and its a darn site less tiresome ridng a 125Kg ightweight through stop-start cty snarl than it is a 200Kg heavy-weight, believe me! Also bonus when you have to find a park place and haul it onto the centre stand! Or push it up the camber back onto teh road, etc etc etc. High MPG and long life tyres and chans, that dont cost that much when they do wear out; a years tax for less than a tank of fuel, THIS is what these little bikes are bult for, what they excell at, and where they are in thier element.... and a bigger bike is likely just costng more to make the job a bit harder to massage ego along the way.

For 'fun'.. 125's right well above thier weight; I find that because they are of limited performance you HAVE to get involved you HAVE to work them hard, you HAVE to engage and you CANNOT get it wrong, or you loose all your hard won benefit; so making good progress on a 125, is FAR more rewarding to me than riding a big-bike, which with so much more potential performance than I can use much of the time, ISN'T rewarding in the 'ridng'.. more comfy and less effort gettng places, seeng stuff, but thats a differnt sort of fun.

Comes down to horses for courses at the end of the day. Big bikes have thier benefits, but you tend to pay a lot for them. Little ikes have thiers too, and cheap can be big part of that, but they are ofte more compromised, comes down to what is the best allround compromse for the job....

And remember, its a FULL licence, not a Big-Bike licence you dont HAVE to go buy a 500 within six weeks of passing tests! You can still ride a 125 on one IF thats what suits.. ether for early miles experiene or commuting, or ust low cost giggles...

BUT if you want that 'safe' its n your head, not n what you put on your head... GO GET THE LESSONS, get the licence, THEN think more about what may 'suit' the job... and dont sweat the small stuff, its a bike, a first bike, you are buying one not marrying one, it needn;t be your last bike or your only bike; ALL options are open... BUT get the training! THAT is the key, to everything else.

Dragoncarp wrote:
Sorry for the big post

Err... no apology needed... it wasn't all that big compared to my replies lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:15 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
why can I feel Rogerborg staring at me

Because you won't close your curtains.

As above, skip the tiddlers, do your training and tests now where you'll get the most benefit, then buy something bigger with ABS and decent rubber.

If you're good enough to commute, you're good enough to pass a couple of rather simple tests. Bigger bikes are easier and safer to ride.

I think Tef might even have said that, it's hard to be sure.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why matching bikes? Matching riders by any chance?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Why matching bikes?

If the goal is to be careful, now, presumably to give an equal chance of non-potato.

Did... did Tef just say that the KTM Duke 125 was Chinese?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I care, but this seems a bit 'dykes on bikes' to me. Reading the opening paragraph a few times it seems neither
'partner' has the faintest idea about bikes, it just seems like a cool/romantic/butch thing to do together.
I may well be wrong, but what I do know for sure is that if I were in a similar scenario with my wife (no generic labels here)
then I wouldn't be looking for a matching pair of bikes. That's sickeningly female bestie pinkie shake behaviour and nothing
a self respecting man would have any part of. But whatever, more bikers is a good thing so the pair of you go ahead and
crack on. Good luck to you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:46 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Not that I care, but this seems a bit 'dykes on bikes' to me. [Cares]

https://i.imgur.com/ixACVUA.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, too expensive to get two new 2017 125s.

Also, might be more economical to share a 125, take turns riding it, then when you move up to a bigger bike, and share that also, then have two bikes.

OP you insure 125 as main rider, have partner as named rider, when you pass your tests, next year OP you are main rider on 500 with 1years NCB and partner is named rider on same bike, and then insurers the 125, which you can also both ride.

Only problem with this plan is you are sharing for a year, and until you pass tests, can't go two up on 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the money for two 2017 125cc bikes then you could get full licenses and two less expensive bigger bikes instead. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Is that better or worse then being Indian built? Or Thai', or Brazilian.

Ste wrote:
If you've got the money for two 2017 125cc bikes then you could get full licenses and two less expensive bigger bikes instead. Thumbs Up

Might be on finance.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I did say 'Good luck to you' Laughing Just a bit bored today waiting in for a phone call.
It just that the first post seems accidentally/deliberately vague... I for one applaud the idea of dykes on bikes,
however the short, fat, hairy, activist reality of this rarely aligns with my fantasy. Matching bikes is still bleeeeurgh though,
it's bad enough when you see a couple touring in his and hers matching textiles. Biking is not a Chinese honeymoon.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I did say 'Good luck to you' Laughing Just a bit bored today waiting in for a phone call.
It just that the first post seems accidentally/deliberately vague... I for one applaud the idea of dykes on bikes,
however the short, fat, hairy, activist reality of this rarely aligns with my fantasy. Matching bikes is still bleeeeurgh though,
it's bad enough when you see a couple touring in his and hers matching textiles. Biking is not a Chinese honeymoon.

There's a couple round by me that have matching Versys 650s both with the top boxes. Balls to the haters do what you want. I'd buzz my chebs off if my missus wanted to ride bikes but I'm sure she'd want a different style of bike than what I want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big believer in balls to the haters as well, but naff is naff is naff. As for wishing the other half was also into bikes...

Careful what you wish for...

I now have two bikes to keep roadworthy and remember to tax/insure etc, with all the ringing around that goes with that.
Two lots of (non matching) kit to source and buy and for the extra effort I get a riding buddy that goes slow enough
for me to sit and do my tax return while I meander along next to her using just 2 of my 6 gears. The next thing
will be a pair of Sena bluetooth headsets so she can invade my speech free zone next. And that will be my
Christmas present... The gift of never having to stop listening to her. What a treat. Rolling Eyes Careful what you wish for.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy her a faster bike then Rolling Eyes

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't. She'd need the skills to pass her test first, and she'd also need a manual CBT conversion before she could even start training.
That's kind of my point, wants in on my hobby but she won't go ball deep and do it properly, and believe me if it was something
she really wanted to do, she'd spend ALL her spare time getting better at it. She trains for her Pole Dancing at least 4 times
a week, yet she's spent maybe 8 hours on her (taxed and insured) bike this year. Wants to do everything my mrs, and as a
result she's dipped her toe in many things she's a long way from becoming even nearly competent at.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:31 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Is that better or worse then being Indian built? Or Thai', or Brazilian.

I'd very slightly prefer Chinese to Indian, given the state of the CBF125s I've seen, and the laundry list of issues with the Duke 125.

It's more about the Duke being infamously Indian built. I mean, even if you'd fallen OFF a dangerouse ladder and got stuck in a Life on Mars style 1970s coma-fantasy, surely you'd know that?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes forget what second/third world country makes what. I'd probably agree with you on that one, but I'd have a CBF over the CB125F (Made in Thailand I believe?).

No idea where my Brazilian XR would rank, but that was poorly built.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I sometimes forget what second/third world country makes what. I'd probably agree with you on that one, but I'd have a CBF over the CB125F (Made in Thailand I believe?).

I agree with this post, and having had and enjoyed owning and riding the CBF, I have to say that the build quality still wasn't great and they still needed a bit of TLC.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:00 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
the CB125F (Made in Thailand I believe?).

China-China-China, I believe. But I believe that based on the UK biking press, who I reckon get their tru-fax from a lanky ginger chap down the pub.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2