Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Bike should I choose

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:37 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Which Bike should I choose Reply with quote

Help!
Help me choose which bike to go for. Budget up to £7,500

I currently own a Kawasaki ER6F (which I have had for two years)

New job (3 months now) so I am doing a 150 mile round-trip commute from Colchester to London and back (to avoid the trains/tubes)

I am looking for a bike which will transport me more comfortably than the ER6F. I find the ER6F has quite a lot of vibration, and wind protection is not great, rain protection not good.

I was considering a brand new Honda NC750ax DCT but I am just not sure.

The journey is on some twisty roads near me, good fun on the ER6F, then fast A road (A12) for 30 miles, then east/central and west London roads full of traffic and many start stops at lights and junctions. I currently avoid the A130 and the M25 as I find them too windy windnoisy.

I am 5'7" tall, 12 stone, so don't want anything outrageously tall or really heavyweight. I have waterproof gear and travel in all weathers.

What advice/recommendations can you give?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Steve

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there and welcome.

I cant offer to much advice, but my Penny Coin Penny Coin are; NC750 is, as bland as a bland stale ham sandwich. Does its job, but yawn. Not much fun on the twisties.

DCT wise, it has very mixed reviews, leaning towards the negative side, although some people get on with it.

Best thing you can do is throw your leg over some and see what bikes are comfortable and you enjoy Smile

Im sure the others will come along with some good suggestions. If not, you could consider a Reliant Robin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:32 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Which Bike should I choose Reply with quote

colchester123 wrote:

Get a job outside of London, or move closer to it.

Eff that for a commute, day in and day out. I can just barely tolerate doing 150 miles a week in light traffic at someone else's behest.

Solely for commuting? Stop-start? Comfy? Weather protection all year round?

Burgman 400, or Kawasaki J300 plus muffs and a Tucano Termoscud invalid blanket. The J300 will save you a fair bit more, that you can spend on drinking yourself into your 4 hours of sleep every night.

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:10 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test rode the Honda Nc750ax DCT and it seems not too bland to me, for the length of ride I have I don't want too much excitement (but some is Ok Wink)

How is the Yamaha Tracer 900? For my commute?

I tried the Suzuki V-strom 650 and didn't like it that much and I test rode the BMW F800ST which seemed a good bike, but the one I tried was v high mileage.

Other possibles:

BMW R 1200 GS
Triumph Tiger 800 XRT
Yamaha FJR1300
Kawasaki Versys 1000 Grand Tourer
Yamaha Tracer 900
BMW F800ST

Tracer1234 wrote:
Hello there and welcome.

I cant offer to much advice, but my Penny Coin Penny Coin are; NC750 is, as bland as a bland stale ham sandwich. Does its job, but yawn. Not much fun on the twisties.

DCT wise, it has very mixed reviews, leaning towards the negative side, although some people get on with it.

Best thing you can do is throw your leg over some and see what bikes are comfortable and you enjoy Smile

Im sure the others will come along with some good suggestions. If not, you could consider a Reliant Robin.

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:13 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Which Bike should I choose Reply with quote

LOL - life is complicated so no moving for a few years for me Wink

Do not want a scooter , just don't like em.

I could make my life easier by getting the train but I am choosing not to do that and do the ride (which I do weirdly enjoy) just need to get the right bike for the job!

Rogerborg wrote:
colchester123 wrote:

Get a job outside of London, or move closer to it.

Eff that for a commute, day in and day out. I can just barely tolerate doing 150 miles a week in light traffic at someone else's behest.

Solely for commuting? Stop-start? Comfy? Weather protection all year round?

Burgman 400, or Kawasaki J300 plus muffs and a Tucano Termoscud invalid blanket. The J300 will save you a fair bit more, that you can spend on drinking yourself into your 4 hours of sleep every night.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:25 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it's not exactly on topic, but I'd really really seriously consider moving/ another job.

Now for context I spent last year doing a 104mile round trip motorway commute to work, using both car and bike. It fucking destroyed me. Seriously, seriously miserable.

Now that commute took on average 1hr30mins each way, so 3hrs/day. Over the year it mounted up to 720hrs of additional, unpaid work over my required 45hr working week (2,160 hrs/yr.) That's 33% extra work for the same dollar. Your situation, 150miles into London, must take at least 4 hours/day, so its closer to a 45% increase. Are you sure you can't find a job closer? Even a 40% pay cut means you're actually better off in terms of hourly wage, even if you ignore vehicle consumables etc.

Just some food for thought...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couriers who own there own bikes are moving away from the NC700/750 and back to Deauvilles.
The NC's are considered uncomfortable and once you add a decent sized screen, top box etc the MPG drops considerably taking away the only real advantage they have.

The Deauville on the other hand is comfortable, has good weather protection and the 700 with a huge top box does 55mpg all day every day. It also has a shaft drive and when doing 750miles a week you aren't going to want to mess about with a chain on the weekend.
Add heated grips, a heated seat, heated jacket and Tucano apron and muffs and no bad weather will ever bother you short of snow and ice. 18000mls out of a set of Avon Storms for £160+fitting means tyres are cheap as well. Oddly there is an off road tyre fitment the Avon Trailrider as well.

The big question considering you can't ride scooters is whether you can face riding a Deauville. Everyone slags them off for being boring when the reality is that they are extremely competent at what they do. There aren't many other bikes that will do 40000miles a year for so little cost.

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:37 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the Kawasaki Versys 650. Beautiful bike, good handling, powerful enough and very comfortable / practical. I bought one earlier this year and loving it.

It also has the same engine (albeit remapped) to the Ninja Very Happy

Watch this and then get your money at the ready:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-6UaZisUwU
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your "other possibilities" you listed the FJR 1300. A great mile muncher that I've owned for 6 years. Great weather protection, seriously reliable if maintained, fast and powerful, shaft drive and can easily carry loads of luggage.

I love mine but I seriously doubt I would commute on it. It just seems like too much bike for something as mundane as getting to work and back. Hope that makes sense.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
In your "other possibilities" you listed the FJR 1300.

By your own words it isn't suitable if the rear suspension needs stripping every 12000 miles.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another burgman advisor

For that price
You could have a burger for work and a bike for weekend fun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:19 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridden one but I don't mind the look of the NT700V Deauville. So worth consideration if i can find one to ride/test.

Youngest one I can find is 2013 with a price tag £4,795.

Obviously the NC750ax DCT is £7,495 for brand new (but chain drive and comfort issues as you say).

Thanks Sickpup

sickpup wrote:
Couriers who own there own bikes are moving away from the NC700/750 and back to Deauvilles.
The NC's are considered uncomfortable and once you add a decent sized screen, top box etc the MPG drops considerably taking away the only real advantage they have.

The Deauville on the other hand is comfortable, has good weather protection and the 700 with a huge top box does 55mpg all day every day. It also has a shaft drive and when doing 750miles a week you aren't going to want to mess about with a chain on the weekend.
Add heated grips, a heated seat, heated jacket and Tucano apron and muffs and no bad weather will ever bother you short of snow and ice. 18000mls out of a set of Avon Storms for £160+fitting means tyres are cheap as well. Oddly there is an off road tyre fitment the Avon Trailrider as well.

The big question considering you can't ride scooters is whether you can face riding a Deauville. Everyone slags them off for being boring when the reality is that they are extremely competent at what they do. There aren't many other bikes that will do 40000miles a year for so little cost.

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:38 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of regular mileage you doing on the Versys (bear in mind I am doing 150 miles per day 4 or 5 days a week) how different an experience is it from the Kawasaki ER6F?

Thanks TurningCircle

turningCircle wrote:
I would recommend the Kawasaki Versys 650. Beautiful bike, good handling, powerful enough and very comfortable / practical. I bought one earlier this year and loving it.

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:40 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so great about the Burgman? Do you really think it would suit my daily ride? I have never liked scooters so is even worth having a test ride?

Thanks Andyscooter

andyscooter wrote:
Another burgman advisor

For that price
You could have a burger for work and a bike for weekend fun

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:48 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts asta1 , certainly food for thought. I have commutted on the trains into London for years. I have tried working closer to home but it hasn't worked out for me and I have gone back to London. But I actually enjoy the ride (in preference to the train/tube journeys). I wouldn't drive the car in since the traffic would destroy me too (and with congestion charge and parking costs on top). Your calculation is spot on I spend about 4 hours a day on the bike.

asta1 wrote:
I appreciate it's not exactly on topic, but I'd really really seriously consider moving/ another job.

Now for context I spent last year doing a 104mile round trip motorway commute to work, using both car and bike. It fucking destroyed me. Seriously, seriously miserable.

Now that commute took on average 1hr30mins each way, so 3hrs/day. Over the year it mounted up to 720hrs of additional, unpaid work over my required 45hr working week (2,160 hrs/yr.) That's 33% extra work for the same dollar. Your situation, 150miles into London, must take at least 4 hours/day, so its closer to a 45% increase. Are you sure you can't find a job closer? Even a 40% pay cut means you're actually better off in terms of hourly wage, even if you ignore vehicle consumables etc.

Just some food for thought...

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:01 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the Z1000sx looks pretty, so worth considering adding to my possibles list, seems quite expensive so would probably have to go for a 2014 / 2015 model (to get one with luggage and heated grips). Does the Z1000sx screen give good wind protection, it looks pretty low?

How's mpg and servicing costs, as I'd be doing over 30k miles per year.

ZX-7R wrote:
You could get a nice pretty recent Z1000SX for that
budget.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick ride on a Versys 650 the other week and it shocked me, what a fun thing it is, soft and comfy as you would expect but ignore that and lean the thing and it was keeping up with bigger bikes in the twistys, also a very nice induction noise...

That being said, my Multistrada could romp motorways at 60mpg all day long, even more if just tooling along with traffic, would not recommend though, I got more than my moneys worth out of the warranty they sold me. Shocked

From your short list I would bag test rides on the Tracer900 and Tiger, the Tracer will be more fun I think but for a reason that escapes my mind, Yamaha fitted the headbanging supernaked MT-10 with cruise control, but not the Tracer, it makes those average speed camera zones easy especially if the sneaky gits have rear facing cameras.

colchester123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:07 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stonesie, I will definitely have a ride of the Versys 650 and Tracer and Tiger.

stonesie wrote:
I had a quick ride on a Versys 650 the other week and it shocked me, what a fun thing it is, soft and comfy as you would expect but ignore that and lean the thing and it was keeping up with bigger bikes in the twistys, also a very nice induction noise...

That being said, my Multistrada could romp motorways at 60mpg all day long, even more if just tooling along with traffic, would not recommend though, I got more than my moneys worth out of the warranty they sold me. Shocked

From your short list I would bag test rides on the Tracer900 and Tiger, the Tracer will be more fun I think but for a reason that escapes my mind, Yamaha fitted the headbanging supernaked MT-10 with cruise control, but not the Tracer, it makes those average speed camera zones easy especially if the sneaky gits have rear facing cameras.

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:42 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

colchester123 wrote:
What sort of regular mileage you doing on the Versys (bear in mind I am doing 150 miles per day 4 or 5 days a week) how different an experience is it from the Kawasaki ER6F?

Thanks TurningCircle

turningCircle wrote:

You'll find for long rides, it's really well suited. Good comfort, very little vibration through the bars or pegs and well suited for nipping in/out of traffic despite it's relatively large size. The long haul is really what this bike is suited for but it'll be more than happy getting you through city traffic.

The seating position is upright which gives you a good, commanding position. If I wanted something sporty-looking (which I don't), for commuting only, i'd probably grab the ER6F of the two but if you want a bike that can do a bit of everything, is practical but can put a smile on your face - take the Versys.

The only thing I would suggest is to think about is seat height and how much weight you are comfortable with. I'm 5ft 8", I think if I was any shorter, the Versys could be a struggle.

The Tiger 800 will be noticeably smoother and has the gadgets - but it comes at a price which may be slightly out of budget. Personally, I just can't come to like the Tracer but that's just me.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do help with the advice, and I asked with a pained expression; Are you buying using cash, or are you doing down the PCP route?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Deauville is a good shout, as is its bigger brother the Pan.

I have a Pan 1300 and do around 90 miles per day to the outskirts of London. M25/M40/A40 stuff. It is a beautiful machine to do that on, smooth, fast, comfortable and once you get to know the size will filter through surprisingly small gaps. They really are built for eating up the miles - I can do 500 miles in a day and still walk, as fresh as if I'd just got on.

Big luggage capacity (especially with a top box) - I can put a suit in a soft carrier folded in thirds (rather than the usual folded in half), and going to a customer site store all my bike kit (jacket, boots, helmet, overtrousers etc) locked away on the bike.

It's still a bit barge-like for tight and aggressive filtering in the centre of town, and eats tyres compare to the Deauville (I get about 8k on a rear, probably half again on the front).

Reliability is legendary on these, no 12K suspension services, 8k oil changes (though I tend to do 4-6), shaft drive etc. The only minor irritation is the recommended 12K brake fluid flush, which involves 7 bleed nipples in the correct order (linked brakes with ABS) - but that takes less than hour including pulling off the side fairing.

I paid just over £4k from a dealer(!) for a 55 plate with 26k miles on it last February. It now has just under 60K, with nothing more than routine servicing.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="colchester123"]What is so great about the Burgman? Do you really think it would suit my daily ride? I have never liked scooters so is even worth having a test ride?

Thanks Andyscooter

storage space is ace weather protection is great low maintenance

nice comfy seat for long miles (think of it as a 90 mph sofa )

nice low down weight for tight manovering in city traffic

thousands of Italians cant be wrong

to be fair though I would use a car for that trip as in the winter that mileage will be really shit and will destroy the enjoyment of bikes anyway

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

High mileage commuting in towards London skews a lot of conventional wisdom. 150 miles per day isn't going to be fun, and in many, more civilized, areas of the country it would be better and cheaper in a car.
Down here, parking is a pain and expensive, then when on the outskirts you have the "is it going to take me 30 minutes or 3 hours to get to the M25 today?", and you don't know until you are there. Even in a comfy car I found that soul destroying.

On the bike my commute is an hour each way, give or take 10 minutes, regardless of what is going on. In the car it could be 50 minutes or three hours.

With the bikes, serviceability is important. On a burgman do you need to strip plastics to do an oil change? That's going to be done every six weeks or so, paying a garage gets expensive and taking off plastics yourself eats into leisure time. No plastics in the way means a 10 minute change. How easy is a tyre change? There'll be several of those a year too. Is a burgman more likely to be a target for the scooter chavs?
What age/miles/depreciation do they have, and what life expectancy? Doing 30k+ miles per year is going to reduce the value of the bike to zero very quickly, but for how many years can you keep it running at reasonable expense?

There's more to think about than high mpg and cool looks. The Burgman may be the answer, but I'd also have to factor in the cost of the divorce if Mrs Bamt caught me riding one!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2