Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Whats up with the reg dates and plate on this bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Whats up with the reg dates and plate on this bike? Reply with quote

So I'm looking at buying a bike, it's a Fazer 1000 and the reg is HF51 XND. It says it was manufactured 31st December 2002 and registered in July 2004, yet it has a 51 plate which is August 2001 to March 2002 right? So it doesn't match anything. All I can think of is it had a number plate transfer at some point. Current owner seems a bit cagey with info, he says he doesn't have a bike licence, he just bought it from Superbike Factory in Macclesfield, claims he doesn't know much.

I've just came off the phone with DVLA and they said all is in order there side, but they said they couldn't tell me if it had had any plate transfers as I wasn't the registered keeper.

Any ideas? My gut instinct is to walk away but just thought I'd see what others say first as I really like the bike and it's a good price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPI it?

I believe the more thorough HPI checks show reg plate changes

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Whats up with the reg dates and plate on this bike? Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Stuff about a possible dodgy bike.

If you smell a rat, then it probably is a rat.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a 2004 (54) car look like a 2001 with a 51 private plate. Sold it on with no issues and got what the car was worth
left the private reg on it. I was also left a car in a will once which was a 57 plated car but which had a reg making it look
like a 2002. DVLA have this covered. If you have had a private plate allocated to your vehicle pre purchase/inheritance,
once it's registered as yours, you can write to DVLA surrendering the reg number that's on the vehicle and it will be
re issued with either it's original registration number (on the assumption that it hasn't already been allocated to a different
vehicle) or a generic age related plate that's right for its year.

Most importantly, this is a free service (DVLA will just add the private reg back to its listings and with any luck
manage to sell it again, ultimately being paid multiple times for the same thing). Someone picked that reg before
after all. The whole thing takes no time at all to update, the last time I transferred a regit was properly allocated to
the vehicle with all relevant databases updated within 12 hours. The time before (pre database) it took lots longer
and a visit to the DVLA local office (now closed down).

Last edited by grr666 on 11:39 - 12 Sep 2017; edited 3 times in total

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be imported?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Whats up with the reg dates and plate on this bike? Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Current owner seems a bit cagey with info, he says he doesn't have a bike licence, he just bought it from Superbike Factory in Macclesfield, claims he doesn't know much.

This alone would probably be enough to make me walk away. Add the registration quirk on top, and I'd definitely leave it, on the basis that there are plenty of these bikes out there, might as well wait for one where everything seems good.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so i paid for one of those HPI checks. Apparently it has no recorded plate changes and it is recorded as imported. I asked DVLA on the phone if it was imported and they said no Rolling Eyes That would explain the gap between manufacture and reg date. But if a bike is imported, don't they give it a reg appropriate to the year of manufacture? So in this case it should be on a 52 plate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
But if a bike is imported, don't they give it a reg appropriate to the year of manufacture?

and

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
I asked DVLA on the phone if it was imported and they said no

gives you your answer Smile

Although I'm sure DVLA Derek will tell you they never make mistakes...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:10 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
OK so i paid for one of those HPI checks.

Against the VIN number, right?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:50 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not worry. If v5 has frame number and matches plate, meh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:12 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially as it's a 15 year old bike. You'd expect it to have some backstory, and it's hardly going to affect the resale value.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were buying to make a quick buck because the price was low... Sure it's a gamble.

To ride and run it like a bike with no intention of selling... Why wouldn't you get if the price is right.

There are people like me everywhere that will happily pay for a bike with a few questionable bits, loads of them. You shouldn't have an issue selling if you didnt get on with it.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If you were buying to make a quick buck because the price was low... Sure it's a gamble.

To ride and run it like a bike with no intention of selling... Why wouldn't you get if the price is right.

There are people like me everywhere that will happily pay for a bike with a few questionable bits, loads of them. You shouldn't have an issue selling if you didnt get on with it.

I've never checked the history of any vehicles I've owned.... and never lost any sleep because of it.... never had a problem selling them on either.

I always thought they check the VIN number against registration at MOT time Embarassed

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:40 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Whats up with the reg dates and plate on this bike? Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
So I'm looking at buying a bike, it's a Fazer 1000 and the reg is HF51 XND. It says it was manufactured 31st December 2002 and registered in July 2004, yet it has a 51 plate which is August 2001 to March 2002 right?

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
OK so i paid for one of those HPI checks. Apparently it has no recorded plate changes and it is recorded as imported. I asked DVLA on the phone if it was imported and they said no Rolling Eyes That would explain the gap between manufacture and reg date. But if a bike is imported, don't they give it a reg appropriate to the year of manufacture? So in this case it should be on a 52 plate?

31st of December 2002 makes it a 2002 bike. The DVLA will issue a plate based on the year of manufacture, but based on the earliest date of that year. Hence it is treating it as having built at the start of 2002, which would be half way through the 51 plates.

All the best

Katy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:18 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I always thought they check the VIN number against registration at MOT time Embarassed

It's one of the few things that my MOT Man always does, without exception.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
andym wrote:

You don't have too many options - at the start of the test, you enter the reg and the VIN into the database and if the DVLA don't have matching records, it immediately flags it as a problem and you can't progress without resolving the issue.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:51 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is an import and is Registered at the year of manufacture, not the year of import

(97/98 R plate, imported in 2006)

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the DVLA didn't have any spare 52 plates as this bike should have a 52 plate with a December 2002 manufacture date. If the owner wasn't so 'all I know is I bought it mate' then I may have considered it. Oh well, on my way to look at a ZX12R now, missus is driving so I get to fiddle on my phone!

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that an import from Europe (if it's from Europe) will involve a clock change from metric to imperial. Depending on how that's been done the mileage on the clock may well be mileage since import, not mileage since new. The bike has years of history you know nothing about.

I had a Fazer 6 that was imported from France. Logged in the book that it had done 800km before being imported and the clocks being swapped for new UK ones. Could be that they missed out a zero, of course.

Tread carefully.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
I guess the DVLA didn't have any spare 52 plates as this bike should have a 52 plate with a December 2002 manufacture date.

They have plenty.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:59 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

Rogerborg wrote:

When I had my old XVS1100 many moons ago, at it's first MOT in my possession they refused to do it as there wasn't a VIN number on the bike (usually it's under the seat on a metal plaque). I asked them what happens now - they said until it's got a VIN number on the frame they couldn't do it.

I said,

"How about I just buy a metal plaque and put the VIN from the v5 on a plaque".
"Oh no no no no!! You can't do that"
"Why not?"
"Because you can't. It's illegal"
"What part of that is illegal?"
"Dunno, but it's illegal and it has to be done using Yamaha number and letter stamps"
"???"

So I just got a set of number and letter punches, put the number on the frame and took it to a different garage. Job done. Passed with flying colours.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

my vtr is a 98 and the date it has is 2001 when it was imported and registed in the uk

on a 98 plate registered 2001 manufactured 98

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:50 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
I guess the DVLA didn't have any spare 52 plates as this bike should have a 52 plate with a December 2002 manufacture date.

DVSA will issue a plate specific to the year of manufacture rather than the exact month. Since it was manufactured in 2002 the 'plate is relevant given that the bike seems to have been imported at some point. Had it been 'new at first registration' (should be denoted somewhere on the V5) it would have had the 52-plate you desire so much.

As for the guy not having a Scooby doo about the history, we all know some ass-hat who's bought a bike on a whim despite not even having a license or a clue about the licensing process. A mate from work recently sold his old Kwak (forget which model) and the guy who bought it said he was gonna get it restricted to 33bhp for a coupla years..........

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:28 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info there is a web site I've used for cars that gathers the various bits of info together for a car Usually shows plate changes, owner changes etc without payment being needed.

Looks like it works for bikes too - sort of anyway, shows two owner changes this year but says 7 owners in total

https://cazana.com/uk/car/HF51XND

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Oh well, on my way to look at a ZX12R now

That is a world away from a Fazer 1000, and not a particularly easy bike to live with.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1