BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bought a UJM

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Bought a UJM Reply with quote

A friend had a slightly rough 1978 CB750F2 in his possession (funnily enough I knew he had it last year, but he put in on ebay before I could muster the funds where it disappeared after a day and I mistakenly assumed it had sold...turns out he held onto it for me Very Happy)

https://i.imgur.com/evO8Y2Y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KRQQEf4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K0fE898.jpg

Nice low mileage
https://i.imgur.com/TTKShfS.jpg

Would like to fit the original airbox if I can source one, still need to sort the fuelling and ignition then give a little bit of a touch up in some areas.

Possible full strip down over the winter depending upon time availability.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, looks like it's in pretty good shape too...needs much doing to it?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
Nice, looks like it's in pretty good shape too...needs much doing to it?

Its in better nick than I remember so I'm happy, need to look over the ignition system as its intermittently on 3 cylinders (assumed duff fuel but even fresh hasn't improved, plugs out showed intermittent missing) working my way back through the leads to the coils then the points as I type!

Following that I'd like to see if it's been set up right for the pods if I can't source an original airbox that is.

The tank is a little rusty too so i'm either going to refurbish it fully or replace (rust aside the rattle can paint job is irritating me enough to warrant this).

Those little bits sorted I'll run it until the weather worsens then commence a more thorough clean up Thumbs Up

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:08 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the carbs, should be easy to fettle presuming they are jetted ok......3 out of 4? pretty sure these run 2 coils, ie, one coil to two plugs....Sorry, don't want to make assumptions based on a 400/4.... which cylinder isn't getting hot?

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
Might be the carbs, should be easy to fettle presuming they are jetted ok......3 out of 4? pretty sure these run 2 coils, ie, one coil to two plugs....Sorry, don't want to make assumptions based on a 400/4.... which cylinder isn't getting hot?

Good news, on all 4!

Loose connection from points to the coils (individual wires for some reason, wiring has definitely being bodged so I'll give that a through going over).

Hmm might take it for a test ride to my mates garage and possibly pick up a MOT Laughing

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those bikes back in 1979 and modified it after I went to the TT in 1980.

Will be watching this restoration as my one was wiped out back in the early '90s.

Unfortunately photobucket have changed their T&Cs so the pictures are no longer available,but some people might remember

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234539

Always have a 'Plan B'

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by some scratching on the plastic work I get the idea that this would have been the original decal of the bike.
https://www.vintagebike.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/1979-honda-cb750f2-2-847x570.jpg

I actually quite like that scheme more so than the dull browns and blacks most F2's are, going by the overall condition of the bike I am drawn to a standard resto even though I was hoping to go for a silver semi original look, still unsure at present.

@Fizzer your bike was a big plus for the F2, I actually used to dislike them looks wise compared the K series that my dad owned (think its the comstars), but I really liked how yours looked especially as it evolved a more sporting look.

I even recall you had the finned points cover? My dad has been looking all over for his spare one from his F1 836 he had but thinks he may have given it to the rag and bone man some years ago, shame really I prefer them.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking bike!

It looks in a decent state too, so I hope you can enjoy period modding it to your taste and riding it plenty too.

Definitely the sort of bike to have as a second bike contrast to something modern and soullessly capable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stemer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:32 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Very nice TestRX benefits and nice looking bike!

It looks in a decent state too, so I hope you can enjoy period modding it to your taste and riding it plenty too.

Definitely the sort of bike to have as a second bike contrast to something modern and soullessly capable.

Great looking bike Moxey. I'm thinking of getting something similar as my second bike. Nothing I've stumbled upon got me hooked so far though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1