BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alarm removal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Alarm removal Reply with quote

Say somebody does have a perfectly working Datatool System 3 (on a carbed bike with an electronic fuel pump Wink) and they are thinking that maybe Roger has a point - maybe this alarm has done it's job (after all, the bike has not been nicked in the 15 years the alarm has been fitted) and maybe it is time for some preventative maintenance. I am aware how to bypass the immobiliser but what if I want to remove all trace of the unit and put the bike back to 'stock'? These systems were designed to be tricky to uninstall, with all-black wiring, tamperproof bolts and such.

Is it within the reach of a fairly competent DIY mechanic to trace it all back, find the wiring interventions, remake the original wiring route, remove the box and enjoy fuss-free refuelling? Or will I end up with a plate of spaghetti and a bricked CDI? Is simply bridging the connectors the simple (albeit dirty*) best way to go?

Obvs don't post details here (and I know that it will depend on how the particular installer decided to fit mine on the day), but any words of encouragement or warning welcomed.

Also, I wonder what that will do to my insurance premium?

* I don't like the thought of having a space-hogging, redundant box fitted and would prefer a clean uninstall.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of removing the alarm on on of my bikes, I didn't in the end.
However when doing some research, on the manufacturers website, it transpires that they provide a plug in bypass unit which replaces the main black box with a very small multi connector. This was only available if you had the original paperwork from the alarm install.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Alarm removal Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
* I don't like the thought of having a space-hogging, redundant box fitted and would prefer a clean uninstall.

No need, when bypassing you cut the case off so all that's left is three white multi-connectors. I wrapped them up with electrical tape and shoved them back out of the way.

Edit: example photos added.

Last edited by Kawasaki Jimbo on 19:53 - 16 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Alarm removal Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
weasley wrote:

No need, when bypassing you cut the case off so all that's left is three white multi-connectors. I wrapped them up with electrical tape and shoved them back out of the way.

Fair enough, but it still feels a bit unclean to me though.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ripped out a Chinese alarm from an SV. Didn't take long at all, maybe an hour or so. The bike later caught fire when bonnie was riding it to Wales for BCF BBQ.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1