BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2nd bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: 2nd bike Reply with quote

Been looking for a second bike for a while, wanting something different from a traditional sports bikes, so been looking at supermotos and big v-twins.

Had my eye on the dorsoduro, RSV1000 and VTR1000 Firestorm. Just stumbled across this on eBay.
Are they really this cheap? Anyone have any experience of the 690?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: 2nd bike Reply with quote

New biker? How new? Very Happy

el_oso wrote:

'11 Honda CBR250
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:02 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Buzz Killington> I wouldn't call £3000 for a 9 year old bike exactly giving it away. Granted, it's only 10,000 miles, but looking at sold listings, very nearly every Duke 690 sold has done under 10,000. </Buzz Killington>

Sort of want, if they did them with seat heights for actual humans.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sort of want, if they did them with seat heights for actual humans.

You want the 2012> model then.

Been looking for one for a while, they never seem to dip far below 3k Crying or Very sad Oddly the IV seems to go for less or the same as the III*, I guess because they look less boss. If you can handle the plague doctor looks the Supermoto normally goes for a bit less.

*which FWIW isn't really a 690 unless you get the 'R' model

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Dorsoduro have a thimble for a fuel tank and seriously like to drink?

I remember looking at getting one but didn't fancy riding from petrol station to petrol station.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiver over dorsoduro. Rsv a bit agricultural now, like firestorm. All good v-twin fun though.. duke, hmmmm gotta like singles!

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: 2nd bike Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
New biker? How new? Very Happy

Would be a completely new type of bike. Didn't feel like it belonged in general bike chat.

@rog
I wasn't pointing out that that was a particularly cheap example, but as a general trend you can pick up the big single KTM cheaper than any age dorsoduro or RSV1000. Even a good Firestorm is 2k and that's 20years old. After looking at the super duke both 990 and 1290 is assumed they would all be out of my price range.

The dorsoduro does have a very small tank, less than 100miles range, but it won't bother me as a 2nd bike. The GSXR would do similar on a city centre commute.

Why would you recommend the shiver of the dorsoduro? Seems to similar to the road/sports bikes I've had in the past to be worth looking at? I placed it alongside the street triple (which I didn't like)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: 2nd bike Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:

Why would you recommend the shiver of the dorsoduro? Seems to similar to the road/sports bikes I've had in the past to be worth looking at? I placed it alongside the street triple (which I didn't like)

Same engine, more every day useable package and a fair bit cheaper than the Dorso. I didn't like the Shiver when I test rode one because of the engine, but think I'd get on a bit better with that now having had a twin for a while. However, it was a bit asthmatic up top to say the least and I didn't enjoy having to change up before revving it out. Again, that might be more to do with having had a CBR600 at the time, and needing to rev it hard, so a change in style I didn't have time to get used to. The handling was good actually - nimble, felt light and agile.

What didn't you like about the street?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say without sounding stupid, but it was 'good' at everything, which unfortunately meant it have no stand out characteristics. With a sporty 600, you had to rev it to make it fun. With a sport 1000, you'd open the throttle and either be thrown off or get whiplash. The 675 felt uneventful at low revs, yet would still be quickish, but no real kick when you hit peak.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
Hard to say without sounding stupid, but it was 'good' at everything, which unfortunately meant it have no stand out characteristics. With a sporty 600, you had to rev it to make it fun. With a sport 1000, you'd open the throttle and either be thrown off or get whiplash. The 675 felt uneventful at low revs, yet would still be quickish, but no real kick when you hit peak.

Totally get that. Some things can actually just be too good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm possibly in the market for a second big bike. I have my eye on the VFR1200 as a contender. I specifically want
shaft drive and a relatively comfy riding position as if I go ahead and buy bike#2 it will need to be a big comfy all day bike.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

But that's the thing though. I don't think it was 'too' good, it was perfectly good. Hard to find any bad bits, but hard to find exceptional bits.

If I didn't ride to work, and only had capacity for one bike, I'm sure the street triple would be in the garage as I know it could do everything. Fortunately/unfortunately I have means and desire for something slightly if not wholly stupid. The one box the street triple doesn't tick.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
el_oso wrote:

I think that's part of why I wasn't too sad to let my Street Triple go. I found it had a very linear power delivery, with no real 'kick' anywhere. I enjoyed it more when I caned it, and loved it's agility and the awesome soundtrack when doing so, but that ability to pull from low down in the rev range was a bit...confusing. If it had a fairing, it would have made a good all-rounder, but those kind of bikes aren't known for sheer grin factor. At first, that made it too much like my Fazer (although the Fazer is like having more than one bike in one package; at least it has the shove at 7k rpm to make things interesting when you want it). Trouble was, I started to cane the Triumph everywhere, and I felt it put my licence too much at risk - more so than the faster litre bike, which I feel quite happy to bimble around on more of the time, knowing the speed kicks are there when I do want it.

The Fazer is really good at just about everything, but not too good I suppose, although I can't fault it. It just suits me and the riding I like to do.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1