Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

And this is why you should regularly check wheel bearings...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: And this is why you should regularly check wheel bearings... Reply with quote

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21730832_10155677952404513_14658630932065713_n.jpg?oh=42927327047aa21587b9f0edda493033&oe=5A5DE05A

Oops Embarassed

Apparently, the bearings got inside and chewed shit to pieces. New front wheel needed along with bearings and spacer etc.

First symptom I felt was front brakes feeling a bit spongy and pulling back to the bar. Bled it a fair few times. Still no joy.

Within the space of a few rides, from the brakes feeling a bit limp (stiffens after a few grabs of the lever) I felt a wobble from the front with a scraping noise. Laid it up at home for a bit to investigate.

The next ride was to the bike shop as I didn't have the time / inclination to faff around to diagnose. Which is when they informed me of the devastation inside the wheel.

Brake issue was pads being pushed back into the caliper from front wheel wobble out of alignment.

inb4 #PoorObs #iPotatoed #derp

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the sort of thing you might see on a trailer where it's hard to notice anything going wrong until it's getting hot or a bout to fall off.
I'm surprised a bike could be ridden with collapsed bearings and only suspect funny brakes Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the ride to the workshop was the very worst it had been - front wheel all wobbly and the bars were having a mini-tankslapper at 30mph (didn't dare go faster) Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:08 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

I'm surprised a bike could be ridden with collapsed bearings and only suspect funny brakes Rolling Eyes Laughing

It's funny what will work. The rear wheel bearings on my Enfield collapsed on the way to the MOT. Felt a bit nasty and squirmy round a couple of the corners like it had a soft tyre.

There was fully 1/2" of lateral movement at the wheel rim. The tester was pissing himself laughing when he saw it and said I wasn't allowed to ride home on it like that (I agreed) but I did have a spare set of bearings in the toolbox so I fitted them there and then.

I think it's because it's a heavy weight rotating pretty fast. The gyrpscopic inertia tends to keep it centred and pointing in the same direction unless you apply forces to the contrary.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must have taken quite some time to do that. I mean, you'd spend half an hour to manage this using a lathe. Razz
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats petty bad Shocked

no idea how the bike was ridable with the bearing like that

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty! Trouble with wheel bearing failures is, it doesn't happen gradually, although I was lucky to have one discovered to be just starting to go on my last full service, before any major damage could be done. Hadn't noticed anything through riding though.
When I had a rear fail on me on a previous bike, the first thing I noticed was the rear end starting to sway a bit on the motorway. I quickly realised that I had to get the bike pulled over, but even by then, it wasn't a pretty sight when the back wheel was removed to sort it. Fortunately, I did get away with just having to replace the bearings, but just a few seconds more...well, I don't like to think, at motorway speeds Pale
My sympathy to your wallet, Doovy!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
Been there etc.

https://i.imgur.com/3zU0uHr.jpg

When my rear bearing collapsed it destroyed the sprocket carrier in the process.

Did you replace the engine afterwards? Razz
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: And this is why you should regularly check wheel bearing Reply with quote

Twatface wrote:
It's a relatively cheap fix you noob. Even cheaper if you DIY.

Doovy wrote:

Apparently, the bearings got inside and chewed shit to pieces. New front wheel needed along with bearings and spacer etc.

Depends on how cheaply you can source a wheel I suppose.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New front wheel was needed. Best condition one on ebay that I found is black. I currently have a black front wheel and silver rear. I didn't DIY.

I've now ordered the matching black rear.

In for a penny, in for a pound Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:

It seems Twatface was right; it is all relative! Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
New front wheel was needed....

I've now ordered the matching black rear.

Replacement front wheel a given here but wouldn't it be cheaper to have the existing rear wheel or indeed both that and
the newer one refurbed to match?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long do bike wheel bearings last?

does anyone on here actually remove the wheel and re-grease their wheel bearings or do we all just wait for them to fail.

With the mileage i do i tend to try and rock both wheels whilst the bike is on the paddock stands to 'check' for any play but thats about as far as i go.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the a little rumble developing in my 1999 R1 front wheel.

Got the bearing out to find the inner race was literally disintegrating Shocked.
Could not feel much play or anything funky, just a little rumble Rolling Eyes.

That reminds me. Gxsr K1 track bike has some funky clicking noises going on with the front wheel... Bearings feel a little tight but should replace either way... just incase considering lol

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catastrophic failure like that is where the worn races and balls chaff the softer material of the separator/cage which holds the balls apart and spaced out evenly. But this will be long after a periodic check would have shown wear.
I use a clock gauge on my wheels whenever I change tyres.

Once the cage is lost all the balls can then bunch up on one side of the races (to escape the load) and the inner and outer races then have nothing to stop them clashing together.
It can end in a lock-up and maybe putting your front teeth through your lip. Smile

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Replacement front wheel a given here but wouldn't it be cheaper to have the existing rear wheel or indeed both that and
the newer one refurbed to match?

Might not have been an exact match. At least this way I'll have an exact matching pair and can sell my old rear wheel (god willing) and make a few shekels back. Also because YOLO.

pompousporcupine wrote:

I'm pretty sure these were the originals and the bike has just hit 30k (2008 model).

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:56 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

I'm pretty sure these were the originals and the bike has just hit 30k (2008 model).[/quote]

Mine lasted 28xxx miles before doing this

https://i.imgur.com/JuUFNll.jpg

stinkwheel wrote:
I think it's because it's a heavy weight rotating pretty fast. The gyrpscopic inertia tends to keep it centred and pointing in the same direction unless you apply forces to the contrary.

I noticed this, I was stuck in a lay-by at 12.30am and the RAC said at least 3 hour for recovery so I rode it home. 30 miles of motorway was OK, the 2 miles of 30 mph limit the bike felt proper dodgy and I had to tip toe it.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear wheel bearings were failing regularly every 12,000 miles, coincidentally shortly after having new tyres fitted.

Strangely enough they've stopped failing ever since I started taking loose wheels to get new tyres fitted. I can't be sure that it was ham-fisted tyre fitters smashing my rear axle back in with a lump hammer that was causing the failures, but the axle on the CBF1000 is a pig to get all the spacers lined up.... I take my time and do it right.

I'm still on my original bearings for the front wheel so they're at a minimum of 65,000 miles if the previous owner changed them. 86,000 if they didn't.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:25 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there.. large pothole was the final blow to what must have already been rusting/disintegrating. Took the carrier with it too.

https://puu.sh/xzDGl.JPG

Been giving the wheel internals a clean and a good re-grease every 6 months if I get the chance.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

does anyone on here actually remove the wheel and re-grease their wheel bearings or do we all just wait for them to fail.

I re-grease, and replace if needed, whenever I get a new bike. I assume it's hasn't been done, and it usually needs regreasing.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:12 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Doovy wrote:

Speaking of relatives, does Fuckwit the wanker have a sister? I've always fancied fucking the mouth of someone with no teeth but I'd prefer that it was female.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe change em after every 2 chain and sprocket swaps as a precaution? I see no point in removing a bearing like this to lube and check it, as the hard bit is getting them out.

Fuck putting in anything other than a brand new one after extracting the old ones.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Speaking of relatives, does Fuckwit the wanker have a sister? I've always fancied fucking the mouth of someone with no teeth but I'd prefer that it was female.

Ooh yeah!! Can't beat that toothless old hag vibe wait what.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2