Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NBR - Quick question: Electric motor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: NBR - Quick question: Electric motor Reply with quote

When an electric motor is burnt out does it become more difficult to manual turn or easier?

Its for a treadmill. The belt is having difficulty turning and we are wondering if it is a problem with the motor, speed sensor or belt.

If fucked electric motors spin freely then that rules out a damaged motor, if it is harder to spin then it might be a fucked motor.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no strict rule what may happen. It may get more difficult to turn but I can also be without any restriction at all.

Is it the right length belt? Is the tension well adjusted? Any dead bearings? Everything lubricated properly?

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:28 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The armature, (rotating bit) and possibly the stator, both contain copper windings (depending on type of motor)....if either were burnt out, i doubt they would cause sufficient increase in volume for it to be a problem mechanically, any chance of physical binding anywhere else?
There are small bearings at each end of the armature shaft, but I suspect these are not the problem...

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:39 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your specific question regarding electric motors, when a motor is burnt out, the insulation between the wires breaks down causing a short. On dc motors, (which can also run as dc generators), this might theoretically cause magnetic resistance, as used by cycle turbo-trainers but I highly doubt it in this case.
If the motor had burnt out, I would expect similar, or less resistance.

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hello, I was wondering if you could possibly give me some suggestions? I bought a DKN Eco Run treadmill the other day second hand, and the the speed seems to be intermittent when you run on it.

I have lubricated the deck and belt.
I have adjusted the running belt tension to the manufacturers spec.
I have tried adjusting the pulley belt at the motor.

But the problem is still there no matter what alterations have been made.

The speed alters up and down fine when no one is on it and the belt seems to run smoothly at a constant speed; but as soon as the weight of a person is on it, the speed appears to fluctuate slightly every couple of seconds or so - racing upwards in speed, causing you to lose your stride.

I have checked the manufacturers guidelines and we are well within the regulation body weights specified to use this product.

Do you have any suggestions what could possibly be the problem? Do you know of any common problems that this model has?

The woman that I bought the treadmill from says that she has only owned it for a year but I've also noticed that they come with a 2 year warranty therefore I have become rather sceptical of this claim".

Above is the email that I sent to the manufacturers. They don't appear to be interested due to fact that the treadmill is second-hand.

I have been trying to diagnose the problem and found this video online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOIQoHR5OWk&t=121s

In this video (around the 1 minute mark) you can see the guy pulling the treadmill with his foot, and the running belt still glides after his foot is lifted off. When you do that on my treadmill, the belt stops suddenly as soon as your foot comes off. Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1