Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking for first bike, Lexmoto Venom se or the Zsx-f 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lexmoto Pick one to buy
Venom se 125
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Viper 125
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Zsx-F
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Don't buy from lexmoto
76%
 76%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 17

Georgef
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:47 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Looking for first bike, Lexmoto Venom se or the Zsx-f 125? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm new to all of this and cannot for the life of me work out which one I should get. Advice would be great. Its main use is a delivery bike so need to get a delivery box on it. I would like one of these as i can buy new get the 2 years cover and pretty cheap.

Let me know what you guys think!!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Looking for first bike, Lexmoto Venom se or the Zsx-f 12 Reply with quote

Georgef wrote:
Its main use is a delivery bike so need to get a delivery box on it.

Wouldn't be buying a new lexmoto in your case because: (1) bike theft, (2) insurance (maybe) costs and (3) the servicing is so close together, form new, that you'll be hindering yourself at the start and spend more time waiting for it to get fresh oil than you will be out on the roads.

1) I mention bike theft because as a delivery rider you're not going to have the luxury of choosing the safest place to park your bike and will probably end up - eventually - somewhere you wouldn't otherwise want to be. Also because the cost of these bikes now (Euro 4) are silly and so loosing that much dollar on such a poor investment is a pointless path.

2) Insurance for business use - assuming private individual for deliveroo or alike - would need quotes checking to ensure that, on the whole, its affordable.

3) between 150-200 miles from new, IIRC, for the first serivce on the LM Arrow (when I had it) and quite close, for the first three or so, thereafter.

Also the size of some of these boxes that the riders have are redonkulas. I'd check, in advance, what type (and weight) of loads you'd need to be riding around with to factor that into your choice.

Skill of courier riders in my city centre are zero so I'd just get something you can chuck around and abuse without getting attached to.

Based on the problems I had with the Arrow I'd look for something that can handle mile upon mile without major issues.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:02 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer that you don't want to hear is "Honda scooter". PCX125 or SH125.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Yamah HW125 (Xenter) which would also make a fine pizza bike.
https://www.motorrad-testbericht.at/magazin/yamaha/roller/xenter125/yamaha_xenter_test_1.jpg

My 2013 was £740

Last edited by grr666 on 22:45 - 17 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

Georgef
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:47 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem being with the PCX is buying a second-hand one can be very hard at a good price. All services and alike are included in the lexmotos.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:53 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a CG125?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:36 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to do motorcycle courier work... full stop.
It's bad enough braving the roads on my own account, as and when I want to, let alone being told I HAVE to get from A to B and brave whatever psychopathic idiots happen to be about...
Then to get paid a 'piece rate' per journey, that will likely only even match Nat-Min-Wage, IF I am to ride like a lunatic, ramping risks still further, and ignore road laws and speed limits and stuff, to get enough calls in to make the hourly, I would rather go stack shelves in Tesco's I think!
And THAT is before having to spend a chunk of whatever I may earn on buying a bike, and more still chucking fuel into it, and more still, and worse, time I could be earning or de-stressing dong maintenance on the bike I needed to keep in fettle to earn the lousy wages.....

Notion that I could get a job with Speedy-Pizza, and what I can earn would 'pay' for a bike... is to my mind a fantasy few are likely to realise!

Idea of buying a brand new, hence more expensive, generic Chinese and hence higher maintenance bike to do it, is even more abhorent... as even more non earning non relaxing hours need to be spent keeping on top of cheese chains and self defeating fasteners etc!

Paying over the top for '+ business use' insurance, over and above the 'learner-loading' put on 125's as a whole, is even more to detract from the plan as a whole.

To make money, you want the earnings high, the expenses low. Motorbikes have high expenses. Delivery work, usually has low earnings; combine the two and you you have a bad plan from the off.

If its needs must, and what you can get by way of work, then doing it on a push bike, at least keeps the expenses and likely the maintenance somewhat more in check...

But, taking that work, on the notion that it gives you a 'free' motorbike to play with in your spare time, is likely a route to very expensive disappointment, and likely pain when you get down to the reality of the matter.

Falling off isn't 'fun', and as an essentially untrained and unqualified rider, that is far more likely even before you start taking extra risks to get your runs in and your earnings up. Riding in the dark, in shit weather isn't the most fun, either.

Seriously, if I wanted a job, and a motorbike, I would split out an awful lot of variables; and for work, go get a job like stackng shelves, where I didn't have to take the same risks, I didn't have to get wet, and I didn't have to spend my day off fixing up the bike. If I wanted a motorbike, I would use earnings to buy one, and not have to pay extra for high-risk 'courier' insurance, or more doing a lot of maintenance against the added wear and tear of courier miles, let alone the added depreciation on the bike cost. And even as a purely for leisure use of my disposeable income, I wouldn't plan to be doing it long term on L-Plates, but trying to pass tests for a full licence, EVEN if that was only an A1 125 only licence, done on the cheap without formal training, self booked on my own bike. At LEAST the learning to get to test standard and the bit of paper saying I'd made the grade would lift me from the general populous of Learner-Nutters that make up such large chunk of the crash-stats....

As your plan stands, I wouldn't recomend any of the bikes you suggest. I wouldn't recomend the plan, at ALL!!!

If I HAD to do courier work.... and pizza deliver really is the lowest of the low in that! I would want to get qualified first, and not have to do it on L-Plates, and ramp the inescapable risks of the job. To minimize expenss I would probably NOT look at a motorbike at all, but get fit and use a push bike if I could, and if I had to go further afield, then a 'cheaper' step-through like a C70 would be my start point.. if I had to pay both learner loading AND courier use insurance, what is THE cheapest thing to insure? Its NOT a 125! My 125 actually costs more to insure a year than my 750! And again, I'd would be looking for a bike that had as low maintenance requirements as possible, NOT the most demanding, hence not Chinese.

Short answer... I go Richard Prior and vote 'none of the above'... and further still, suggest you go back to the dawing board, and work out exactly what you want to achieve here?

IF you just want to earn some money.... get a job.. like stacking shelves; may be shit conditions and shit pay, but its warm, its dry, its lit, and its a dang site less likely to get you hurt, and a dang site more likely to actually see you make money, rather than have to spend it.... AND your time off is your time off, you dot have to spend half of it getting oily to be ale to do another shift!

If you want to learn to ride a motorbike... treat that as a seperate ambition; and what bike would best do the job of helping you get a full licence.. or even can you skip buying your own bike and get a licence doing a course? THEN look at what bike you might get, and what you can afford and what might est suit your needs, that 'may' but need not include getting to and from a boring job that pays for it.

Say it time over time, but IF you are a competent enough rider to be able to commute 'relatively' safely, you are good enough to take and pass tests.. thats all they ask of you on test, to show that you can basically do a typical cross town commute without reaking road laws, causing hazard or hurting any-one. IF you can do that you can have a full licence. IF you dont think you can pass tests, then you REALLY shouldn't be planning to dodge them tryig to do same day in day out getting to and fro work, let alone, doing it for however many hours a night, tryng to deliver pizza before they get cold.. it is a recipe for desaster, either financial or medical.

IF you are 17, you are likely to strike a hurdle on any plan that involves a finance plan, either to buy a bike or to pay the insurance on installments.. you are't old enough to sign a credit agreement,

If you are over 18 or can get some-one who s to counter sign credit for you, you are gambling more still that monthly earnings will cover each and every one of them installments.

But, either way, credit will be adding 15 or 30% or more to your overheads, to eat into earnings as well as add to your risks... those installments will still have to be paid, regardless of what you earn, and paying a instalement on a bike thats not made you any money, because its bent when you have fallen off it, ad you are too battered to ride it even if t was fixed, is some-what adding insult to injury...

Its your call... and many have to learn these lessons the hard way from doing, more never do, and laugh off all the scrapes, bumps bruises and bills along the way... but that's for you to ponder....

As it stands, your plan is likely to not make you the money you imagine, it IS likely to cost you more than you will could make, and either way, you will most likely end up out of pocket and probably hurt in the trying.

Heed advice or not.. continue how you think best.. you are banking on money you haven't made with and gambling with your own arse here... on what is at best an outsider in the field., that doesn't even have high odds if its wins!

There are better ways to make money, and safer ways to actually have fun on a motorbike.. there really are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgef wrote:
The problem being with the PCX is buying a second-hand one can be very hard at a good price. All services and alike are included in the lexmotos.

I think you're misreading the T&C's. Taken from here:

"The warranty you get with your bike may vary from dealer to dealer, so it is best to ask them what cover they provide. Healthy maintenance of your vehicle is essential to keep your warranty valid, as most warranties exclude any parts/products that are not serviced, maintained, used or stored in accordance with the recommended procedures, good user practice or common sense."

TL:DR - You pay for the services that keep the warrenty in check and when something that is under the list of things that can be replaced under warrenty stops working it is, hopefully, done so. No shop, independent or otherwise, is going to throw away a charge of £65 - £80, for example, for free.

When something does stop working on the list of warrenty parts the dealer will put in a request to their lexmoto contact and it goes from that: of what happens next I am unsure because I am not a dealer nor have I ever worked for one.

I wouldn't bank on the warrenty as the sole reason for buying a new Lexmoto because the list of exclusions for warrenty are far more expansive than the things that it covers.

If you're set on a Lexmoto then look at second hand ones. Even if your mechanical hands on knowledge is zero they're as basic as they come and anyone, mechanical bike shop, should be willing to work on them: some places may refuse based on the trouble that follows fixing one issue.

At any rate I'd think you should learn, and rather quickly, how to service the bike simply because the mileage you'll be racking up as a courier will mean quite regular checks of each consumable part. Parts for Lexmoto's, on the whole, are available to order of the internet with quick delivery rates.

It's of course rich of me to say so given I took my Lexmoto to a dealer most of the time but the advice comes with a strong backing to save your wallet. Now that I've done a large portion of the basic tasks on a "bigger bike" providing you take your time there's not a whole lot to go wrong. It's easy to over-complicate things in your head before attempting the task at hand.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:20 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Georgef wrote:

I think you're misreading the T&C's. Taken from here:

I think he's confusing a 'Warranty' with 'Anticipated Service'.

A Warranty is a 'promice' that anythng that in 'normal service' and courier work is often outside of that descriptio, but, it is a promice that the manufacturer will 'fix' anything that breaks, but probably shouldn't.

Servicing or maintenance, is the practice of maintaining a vehcle's functional condition. Veheicles in anticipated use are expected to wear out components; most obviously on a motorbike, tyres, brake pads, clutches, chain and sprockets, air flters, spark plugs; these are all 'normal' service replaceable items. Cables are expected to stretch and need adjusting; valve clearances are expected to change and need tappets adjusting as parts inside the engine 'wear'..

This is all anticipated wear and tear... you use a bike, these bits wear out and need adjusting and or replacing... this is something YOU the owner should anticipate and budget for, both in doing the service checks and replacements or paying some-one else to.

It is NOT a 'warranty' issue, that covers only things that shouldn't break or wear out in 'normal service'; say the paint flakes off the petrol tank, or the handlebar switches fill with water and stop working.... BUT even then, the warranty is normally only against manufacturing defect.... f the paint flakes off the petrol tank, if that is because the manufacturer has used the wrong pant, or not cured it properly, THEN they would replace it.... it doesn't man that if you parked the bike in the sea for a month, ad the salt water corroded the tank, they would have to change it! Tat would be owner abuse not manufacturing defect... if you wanted it fixed you'd have to pay.

And there is a LOT of possible argument over what is 'normal anticipated use' and potential 'owner abuse' when it comes to a warranty....

If you dont check the oil and the engine siezes... thats owner abuse, you neglected the routine checks provided in the hand book.... argue that you did check the levels.... more actually toppeed up the levels and did the changes reccomended by the manual... the dealer can STILL argue that they have no 'proof' that the problem is the fault of a manufacturing defact ad not owner neglect or abuse; UNLESS you have got the dealer to do ALL the servicing for you and can show the receipts that show it... which is often a bit of small print of a warranty.

BUT that's the bottom line.... a warranty is NOT a service schedule, and it is NOT a substitute for doing or paying for 'anticipated user maintenance' which is a completely seperate and additional cost...

That 'routine maintenance', from checking and changing oil, adjusting tappets, tensioning the chain, adjusting brakes and replacing brake pads, oiling and adjusting cables, greasing the steering and suspension, etc etc etc, the 'anticipated' service operations required in order to 'maintain' the functional condition of the machine, are NOT something covered by a 'warranty' against manufacturing defact.. which is ALL a warranty will cover, and even then, usually only if you have a properly stamped service book to say it has been properly 'maintained'.

A 'Warranty' is NOT maintenance or substitute for regular servicing... Which usually still 'costs' over and above the price of the bike and any warranty, whether you do it yourself or pay the dealers...

It really does NOT mean that a bike wont break or wear out or that it will ever need a spanner lifted to it. It will, and probably regularly, at LEST every 1000 miles or so, if not more often, certainly on a lower quality chinese made bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:06 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to Informative Mike.

Georgef wrote:
All services and alike are included in the lexmotos.

I'd love to see where you're getting that idea.

Engine oil replacement interval on a PCX125 appears to be 5,000 miles. I'd not leave it that long, but the interval on a Lexmoto is likely to be 1,000km, and they'll expect you to fork over around £80 for putting a couple of £££ worth of oil in and flicking a rag at it.

If you actually ride it, and intend to maintain the, uh, "warranty", you can expect the Lexmoto to cost you more after a couple of years than a PCX. Then try and sell it and see how much you're offered.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered electric bikes? Probably ideal, IF, you can get a decent luggage carrier fitted.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/eu/11kw

Or ..

https://evokemotorcycles.co.uk/

^^ To be manufactured by Foxconn, and a demo bike to be available in time for Motorcycle Live in November..

Whilst, they will cost more upfront, with the mileage accrued couriering, you'll easily make up the difference between that and a petrol bike.

Failing that, a Lexmoto sourced 125, these days, isn't a particularly big risk..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:38 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably at least as good as the Chinese made budget offerings from Honda and Yamaha (based on Honda's debacle with the CBF125 anyway).

I'd just like OP to be aware that it's only cheap to run if you sod off the "warranty", and self-service it.

It's only cheap to own if you stick your fingers in your ears and chant "LA LA LA" whenever anyone mentions resale.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's probably at least as good as the Chinese made budget offerings from Honda and Yamaha (based on Honda's debacle with the CBF125 anyway).

I'd just like OP to be aware that it's only cheap to run if you sod off the "warranty", and self-service it.

It's only cheap to own if you stick your fingers in your ears and chant "LA LA LA" whenever anyone mentions resale.

Yeah fair point there, although, the 'amount' lost on resale, as, opposed to percentage of original value, is unlikely to be that drastic. When I sold my 5 year old Skyteam V-Raptor, I lost less than £300 on what I bought it new for, which, I think is pretty reasonable, especially as it had been kept outside for those 5 years as well.

To be fair, servicing the Lexmoto 125's is really easy, that any novice could pick up in no time Thumbs Up

However, if, the OP want to go down the absolute minimal maintainance route, then, electric will be the way to go, in his shoes, I would probably head towards the Zero, but, if the cost of the Evoke ends up being competitive, then, that shouldn't be ruled out. Only drawback, instead of an aluminium frame, the Evoke has a steel frame, so that will over time probably require a bit more tlc. Also battery 'life' of the evoke appears to be about 50-60% less, at about 186000 miles.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:35 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's baulking at the price of used PCX 125s, I really doubt that he's willing to invest ten grand in a career in the heady world of shawarma delivery.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
He's baulking at the price of used PCX 125s, I really doubt that he's willing to invest ten grand in a career in the heady world of shawarma delivery.

True, but, I suspect the evoke will be appreciably less. Then over time, take into consideration, that there will be a distinct lack of services required, cheapness of electricity etc, it does lend itself really well to the type of work the OP will be doing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:10 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, future electric bikes that aren't for sale yet will doubtless be cheaper than real ones.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are on their way, personally, I'm keeping an eye on

https://www.evokemotorcycles.com/project-kruzer

Although, as it stands, with a little more range, a Zero is most likely on my to get list.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:44 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
They are on their way

Yamaha's been saying that for over 3 years. They're already on to the 2nd generation of their imaginary mass market electric bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1