Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cleaning winter shit off....in style, and comfort!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Cleaning winter shit off....in style, and comfort! Reply with quote

I fucking hate winter cleaning. ACF50 is great, but you still have to keep the shit off which inevitably means getting on your knees freezing your mitts off getting wet and miserable. And subsequently doing a half arsed job as a result.

So this year I found a good use for the Abba Skylift. One pump washer, pump bottle full of Muc Off and a big plastic under bed storage box and off we go. Nice and cosy in my heated workshop, music on, warm hands sat on the shop stool and the big plus is easily getting underneath to all those nooks and crannies that get missed.

Might seem like a faff but getting up on the Skylift takes two minutes, ride in and up she goes. And it still gets a full rinse down every few days but that's easy since I've already dealt with the bits that would usually make my old back scream.

Could do with some sort of mahoosive plastic tray arrangement and a drain point through the floor to outside. It doesn't work for a full 'posh wash', too much spray everywhere but for wheels, brakes and tickling her belly it's a winner.

https://i.imgur.com/tXf26tBh.jpg

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this cleaning you write about? Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much pampering, sod all that. I've long since accepted that any bike I own is going to look like a bag of nails beside two periods of time in the year -- the yearly washes -- and even then it's only for as long as it takes for road crud to make it look like it belongs to me again.

I wash the salt off when I get chance but would rather leave it overnight than stand out in 0-5 degree's with cold water and a sponge when I can't even see my hand in front of my face after a days work.

I love playing hide and seek with half of my bike until summer. Laughing
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my bike at the weekend. Up on an EazyRizer lift, thorough clean and coat in ACF50. It's definitely a lot easier with the bike up in the air, although I just take the stand outside rather than make a mess in my cramped garage.
It's unlikely to get a good clean again until March, after which it might get a couple of washes over the summer.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for your infinite wisdom there Bodytard, you're nothing if not predictable.

The ACF50 in hard to reach places gets left alone, this is mainly to wash the shit off calipers and areas under and around the exhaust where ACF50 either burns off or doesn't get applied. I'm not a fan of scraping an inch of shit off the caliper pistons in spring Rolling Eyes

But each to their own, and yes, I do look after all my vehicles and do value the appreciation of the next owner saying, "bloody hell it's in good nick for the mileage"

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my bike clean for me, as I have no intention of ever selling it. And even if I did, it's an old model, modified to my taste, and wouldn't fetch much anyway. It has now become a shed queen however Sad

Still, no aching back from cleaning it anymore Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcuk ridin in the cold & salt .. it will work its way through ..
thats why i bought a Transit ...
and fyi. the heater works just great .. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:54 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cleaning winter shit off....in style, and comfort! Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
I fucking hate winter cleaning [...] I do look after all my vehicles and do value the appreciation of the next owner saying, "bloody hell it's in good nick for the mileage"

Life must be just an emotional rollercoaster for you.

ADSrox0r wrote:
I've already dealt with the bits that would usually make my old back scream.

You need a SeatpalĀ®.

Totes srs, would recommend. Not necessarily at that price, I won one in a compo.

https://i.imgur.com/73ajriP.png?1

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cleaning winter shit off....in style, and comfort! Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ADSrox0r wrote:
I fucking hate winter cleaning [...] I do look after all my vehicles and do value the appreciation of the next owner saying, "bloody hell it's in good nick for the mileage"

Life must be just an emotional rollercoaster for you.

I am a special little rainbow. My therapist says I am anyway.

Ooh, garage gadget. How did you know what a big tart like me would want for chrimbo?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
and fyi. the heater works just great .. Thumbs Up

As do my heated seats and steering wheel. Wink

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I have your will.

I just clean the chain than throw a bucket of hot water on it followed by any car/motorcycle wash spraying followed by some brushing followed by another two buckets of hot water.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:24 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
throw a bucket of hot water on it

You and your fancy continental ways.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 07:47 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have one? Smile

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cleaning winter shit off....in style, and comfort! Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You need a SeatpalĀ®.

Totes srs, would recommend. Not necessarily at that price, I won one in a compo.

https://i.imgur.com/73ajriP.png?1

I wonder how close the focus group got to christening it bum-chum?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1