BCF: Bike Chat Forums

charging woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: charging woes Reply with quote

start my bike most days to keep things fresh however the past week its been playing around.

started fine but seemed a little slow to crank, sat on it and the neutral light kept flickering, after much dicking around i found on the sidestand its fine, sit upright the neutral light dicks about and it refuses to start, changed the neutral sensor and that issue has now gone.

new issue is the battery seems to be dying slowly over a few days, dad borrowed my bike after he damaged his bandit ignition and he said it was getting slower to crank untill it just refused to try at all and solenoid just clicked.

chucked battery on charge voltage all reading good, held voltage overnight, put battery on bike held voltage within 0.01v for over an hour without changing...

does this look right or is the voltage at 3000rpm too high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4URYBTPZds

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be about 14v but it isn't exactly going sky high like you'd get with failed regulator-rectifier.

In any case that wouldn't explain battery apparently losing more charge.
Battery could simply be failing or a component which is live with ignition off might have a problem.
If you have a rather dark shed you can see if anything is draining current by pulling fuses and lightly touching the terminals with fuse or use a couple of bits of wire (or multimeter if you have it!)
If current is flowing there will be a faint spark.

It will do more harm than good to start the bike almost daily.
Much better to buy a trickle charger and start it every couple of weeks at most if you can't use it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It will do more harm than good to start the bike almost daily.
Much better to buy a trickle charger and start it every couple of weeks at most if you can't use it.

This bit ^^^... and/but you need to get the engine warm enough to bring the fan on for a few minutes.
The engine produces water as a combustion by-product. It normally get blown out with the exhaust. In a cold engine the water will condense on any cold surface (as fog on a window does).
The condensation will not be blown out as easily and can run down into the sump.
Water will not condense on a hot engine and will leave as vapour or gas (steam).
Look at a cold engine running on cold days the exhaust is visible. That is water vapour. When the engine heats up the water becomes invisible.

And start, stop, start, stop, will not let the battery charge properly.

Trickle charge and leave the fekir alone. Or ride it Hard and Fast.

I use Ctek chargers on four bikes, we use them for our busses at work too. The charger is less than half the cost of a battery for a 600cc bike. Cool

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

put it on charge on my imax b6 last night and put it back in to see how it goes, his new lock set arrives tomorrow so i have time to see whats up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1