Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Possible causes for no idle.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Possible causes for no idle. Reply with quote

GS500 twin.

Cuts out when you stop/pull up, or when sat at traffic lights/roundabouts.

No problem if you hold on revs slightly when stopped.

Will die on choke too. Revs hard as normal and then suddenly bogs off and dies (within 2 seconds).

Idle speed set any higher means it revs high once warm.

Engine fin3 when moving

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong pilot jets?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats that there air filter looking like? Clogged air filter (or over lubrimacated) will starve the idle circuit... when you throttle on the butterflies open up allowing more air to flow and overcome some of the airflow restriction.

Quick test. See if it idles without the air filter fitted

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:56 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you have this same issue at the BBQ?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Didn't you have this same issue at the BBQ?

Pretty much. I have time to try and fix it now, because it is an irritating fuck.

Air filter is new.

Idle sizes could be a ossibility, but it idled when I got it (but ran high).

Vacuum line had a smaller tear that was fixed,improved things considerably.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you spray too much air filter oil onto air filter?
have you changed any settings? IE tweaks to the mixture screw? Had the carbs apart at all in your ownership?

Carbs have got me right in the eye atm. Seems like they are all i deal with on my projects

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve clearances have closed up ? A bit?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby fiddled a lot with carbs to sort out balance. Have been looked at many time.

One float valve was sticking so I fiddled with it a lot and got it pinging nicely, but a concern.

Float heights have been changed by both Robby and I, I will be checking those when I strip her tomorrow.

I've come dangerously close to checking the clearances many times, but have been dissuaded every time by friends helping me. Thing is its shims, so I think no one wants to hel if it needs it Laughing its only got 23k and more than potent once actually going so unlikely to be them - but annoying I can't state definitively.

Any electrical causes?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Did you spray too much air filter oil onto air filter?

Air filter is not /that/ new. Suzuki OE. Did not oil it as catridge paper jobby.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:44 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I've come dangerously close to checking the clearances many times, but have been dissuaded every time by friends helping me. Thing is its shims, so I think no one wants to hel if it needs it Laughing its only got 23k and more than potent once actually going so unlikely to be them - but annoying I can't state definitively.

Any electrical causes?

Shims are a bit of a pain, but not that big of a deal to work with.

Realistically, at 23K it shouldn't be anywhere near far enough out of spec to cause idle failure.

Electrical is highly unlikely - you'd be seeing other things going wrong before that would be the best option.

Have you replaced the vacuum line? Repairs of such things typically aren't worth the hassle, least of all, given that a vacuum line is usually under three quid. Also, are the inlet rubbers in good nick?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:54 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth Seeing how it runs if you leave the fuel tap on prime. The fuel taps on these are shite and cause all manor of issues.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve clearances are one of the few jobs I have never found a mate willing to do in his spare time. All other ones are just a pleasant diversion... that seems to genuinely scare/upset people.

Rubbers are stiff, but workable. Revs do not rise when aerosol sprayed round the carb, any time that has been checked.

Carb balancing ports (on carb outlets to engine) have both been sealed, but still suspicious of them.

Will check the vacuum hoses VERY well tomorrow, and test run on prime as suggested (although that does risk much petrol in engine and an oil change if not careful ... SWIM had that happen to them recently)

Any other ideas for what might cause the above symptoms?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Valve clearances are one of the few jobs I have never found a mate willing to do in his spare time. All other ones are just a pleasant diversion... that seems to genuinely scare/upset people.

Eh, fuck it. I'll bite. When are you next around the Midlands?
You'll most likely need a replacement rocker cover gasket, and it'll need to cool for a few hours before we can hope to get an even remotely accurate read on the clearances, so it'll have to be an early start to the day.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:22 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just recently got a gs500e it would not stay on idle and cut out. revs allright took the carbs of cleaned them.left the carb bottoms off blew down the petrol pipe to the carbs moveing the floats up/down bit of crap came out put them back together stays on idle now. noticed on the inner side of the petrol tank theres another petrol tap is that working allright

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:33 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought that tight clearences whould cause a poor idle when warm, it usually manifests itself as being a fucking bastard to start when cold but fine when warm.

I'd be looking for an air leak on the manifold. Have you tried spaying WD40 at the manifolds and seeing if the revs pick up?

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:13 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried letting the engine warm up for a little longer before you go on your journey.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
Have you tried letting the engine warm up for a little longer before you go on your journey.

Laughing Mr. Green Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yes. I also checked I hadn't knocked the killswitch.

Gerry, I would be back in a couple of week, but hope to have sold the bastard before then.

Bypass, I have had the carbs off a few times but never blown out the fuel lines Thinking Same thing happens on reserve or on, so problem is either above or below that if it is fueling.

So am I right in thinking these symptoms are best explained by an air leak, a vacuum leak or an issue with the fueling?

Which one would affect it least while in motion? It rags along very smoothly... but will cut out the moment you pull up.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible there is an air leak somewhere, like from a vacuum port for example, but you would almost certainly hear that and it would run like a bag of spoons

Can you video what is happening at idle and upload it?

Last edited by pompousporcupine on 19:09 - 20 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:39 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Its possible there is an air leak somewhere, like from a vacuum port for example, but you would almost certainly hear that and it would run like a bag of spoons at any rpm.

And at this point I'm gonna call you out for talking bollocks.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

Its possible there is an air leak somewhere, like from a vacuum port for example, but you would almost certainly hear that and it would run like a bag of spoons at any rpm.

And at this point I'm gonna call you out for talking bollocks.

Thumbs Up

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videos are filmed, getting uploaded now. Slowly.

Expect some NSFW swearing. Because I'm 'ard.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videos uploaded

Started on button first time from cold (not used since Monday ie 48 hours plus)

Vid 1 here

Some sweary so careful at work.

Does not start again after letting it bog out, which is what it does on the road too (ie when warm). At roundabouts/traffic lights etc, throttle must be blipped slightly to keep her going.

After video cuts off, I went outside to not die from fumes. Came back one minute later and she started first time. Choke on full, and after some time eventually would stay on the choke without me blipping the throttle.

Vid 2 here

Warmed up enough to have filled the shed with much non-air, stalls as soon as choke is turned off.

As mentioned in vid and normally, turning the idle speed up sadly is not the answer... although it is damn tempting I admit. When I do that, about 15 minutes after setting off she is revving very high and being a dick going in to roundabouts etc.

---

This was the initial state of play some time ago.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=320727

Fixing airleak in vacuum hose, removing scottoiler, new sparks and air filter, balancing carbs and further fiddling with float height etc helped it a lot.

This cut out thing is new, and frustrating.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:44 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tappets have never been done, and from memory the GS uses old fashioned screw and lock-nuts that are easy to 'do' but awkward to get at, and need doing often... then tryng to dodge that issue looking for carb issis is a bit of an ostritch act, to my mind, looking for more convoluted jobs and fixes to avoid the easy and obvious!
Bite the bullet.. tickle tappets.. THEN see whats what.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:07 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I tappets have never been done, and from memory the GS uses old fashioned screw and lock-nuts that are easy to 'do' but awkward to get at, and need doing often... then tryng to dodge that issue looking for carb issis is a bit of an ostritch act, to my mind, looking for more convoluted jobs and fixes to avoid the easy and obvious!

It has shim and bucket. 23k is fuck all for that sort of thing

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

It has shim and bucket. 23k is fuck all for that sort of thing

What he said ^

If it was tappets I'd have done the bugger 4 months ago.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2