Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recently passed CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teshhi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:42 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Recently passed CBT Reply with quote

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I passed my CBT. I chose to complete the training on a 115cc automatic scooter having never ridden before. I'm looking to purchase a 125cc motorcycle but have no experience with the gears and clutch etc.

I would like to take some lessons on a geared 125 before buying a bike to get myself familiar with it and see if it's really for me. I haven't been able to find any hourly lessons where I can practise, just direct access schemes. Does anyone know of any instructors near to Harlow, Essex?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the place you did your CBT not help you out?

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:22 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camrider Harlow will do a 15 minute taster session for £10.

Nip round and have a word at the greyhound stadium, maybe they can do you some sort of deal on a lesson or two

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:42 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound sensible, which makes me wonder if you're under 19.

If you're 19+ then I wouldn't waste your time wobbling around on a 125. Bigger bikes are easier to ride.

I get that you want to have a go on a 125 to see if biking's for you, but here's the thing: if it is, then you'll want to get off the 125 ASAP anyway. You can't get a full license using one any more, so you'll have to do training and tests anyway.

Camrider sounds like a decent shout, you could ask them about PAYG training on whatever category of bike is suitable for your age, and see how you get on.

Bear in mind that if you get a 125 then sell it (either because you don't like biking or because you do like it) then you'll probably take a hit on the resale, and very likely lose a big chunk of the insurance costs even if you sell it after a few months.

tl;dr version - do your tasters on the biggest bike that you can.

Teshhi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:55 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Can the place you did your CBT not help you out?

Thank you for this advice. It was actually Camrider in Harlow that I took my CBT with. I could only find full test courses on their website but having looked at the replies I've received; I think it's going to make more sense getting booked in for that, rather than upgrading bikes as I go along.

Teshhi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:57 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
Camrider Harlow will do a 15 minute taster session for £10.

Nip round and have a word at the greyhound stadium, maybe they can do you some sort of deal on a lesson or two

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm going to get in contact with Camrider tomorrow.

Teshhi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:01 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You sound sensible, which makes me wonder if you're under 19.

If you're 19+ then I wouldn't waste your time wobbling around on a 125. Bigger bikes are easier to ride.

I get that you want to have a go on a 125 to see if biking's for you, but here's the thing: if it is, then you'll want to get off the 125 ASAP anyway. You can't get a full license using one any more, so you'll have to do training and tests anyway.

Camrider sounds like a decent shout, you could ask them about PAYG training on whatever category of bike is suitable for your age, and see how you get on.

Bear in mind that if you get a 125 then sell it (either because you don't like biking or because you do like it) then you'll probably take a hit on the resale, and very likely lose a big chunk of the insurance costs even if you sell it after a few months.

tl;dr version - do your tasters on the biggest bike that you can.

Hi,

I recently turned 24 so I'm not restricted by my age. Being on the small side and taking a fair amount of time to pass my driving test may be why I'm erring on the side of caution. However, this seems like pretty sound advice and I'm going to give it a go!

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:09 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed with Camrider at Harlow. Good bunch of instructors with some fairly interesting teaching styles but you'll be ok there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1