Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thoughts on RyanAir

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RyanAir is...
...fond of extorting money out of the poorest people.
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
...a great service to allow poor people to travel more.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
...in breach of the magna carta by punishing fellow citizens (with punitive charges)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
...a perfectly excellent airline as long as you obey their clearly described rules.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
...merely the natural progression of this race to the bottom.
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
...too damn cheap but to use. Grudgingly. Through gritted teeth. And anxiety about charges.
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
... 2 or more of the above.
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
... literally all of that. Good and bad. Ryanair is Ryanair. WYSIWYG
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 65

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:10 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel plans of another 400,000 passengers.between November and March, affecting theRyanair will cancel another 18,000 flights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41414414

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:42 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"Late" Check in fees, for instance. You must check in online, 4 hours in advance (but no more than 4 days before, unless you want to pay 4 quid), and print it in good ink or have their 3rd party app installed on your phone (subject to airport limitations)... or else they feel perfectly within their rights to charge each member of your booking 50 quid.

They have a fractionally smaller hand baggage allowance on flights than any other, just to try to catch you out at the gate for another 50 quid.

They are sulking about drinking at airports now...

I flew with Ryanair a few weeks ago. The rules are very clear. Print your own passes. Don't turn up late or drunk and don't expect to carry on a massive suitcase.....
Apart from the cancelled flights (on which I cant really comment as they didnt affect me) I had no problem at all with Ryanair
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck em, and hope they go bust asap!

Ok so flying isn't as cheap as it used to be, economic downturn and terrorism fears etc all contribute.

But I'm like most people, and will never take more than four flights a year. If that's all your going to do, then I agree on paying the going rate for a reputable company and to eliminate the hassle.

Flying is scary and full of hassle and stress at the best of times, so why inflict more punishment on yourself by cheaping out on a shit airline that could leave you fucked before you even start.

If it's work flights people are doing, then no reputable company would send it's staff places with the likes of Ryan air, so again it shouldn't be an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 27 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Why anyone would book with Ryanair is beyond me.

half the price of anyone else to go and visit the mrs' parents.
We know what we're getting and don't pay for any extras other than picking our seats (you have to when you've got children) but that's only a couple of £ extra

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:20 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
But I'm like most people, and will never take more than four flights a year. If that's all your going to do, then I agree on paying the going rate for a reputable company and to eliminate the hassle.

That's probably the difference and why I like Ryanair and other budget airlines. I treat planes like buses and not a luxury cruise. It's just a way of getting to where I want to be. I guess I would probably spend more if I was going on an all inclusive relaxing holiday or whatever. My trips tend to be 1-4 days long with a carry on bag and as cheap as possible.

Next week I'm flying Manchester - Warsaw to go shooting. I think the return flight cost £35 and a hotel for two nights was £40 between two of us. If the flight was much more then I wouldn't be going. Flying with a fancy company would probably cost more than the whole trip combined and would turn it into a once per year thing instead of once per month.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

They have had not much effect on the Big Bastirts either.
B.A. stopped loads of regional airport routes and reduced the services to customers on-board under the guise of competition.
The Cloggies and the Froggies followed suit.
They all still take 200 euro for a no frills GLA to AMS or GLA to LHR.

At least the budget boys don't take a piece of your liver to deliver.

How much do you suppose it actually costs, pre profit, to get you from GLA to AMS in a 737-800?
Start with over 18l fuel/per seat/hour flying...

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:27 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think of Ryanair as an airline for the kind of people that use coupons in a supermarket. You need to treat it a bit like a game. Find out all the rules, follow them, and your reward is a cheap flight.

My concern these days is what they've done to the other end of the market. I usually fly BA for short haul, but now they've done away with providing in-flight meals, and instead have a single cart going down the aisle selling you things. I was in the back row on a 2.5 hour flight, so they go to me 30 mins before landing. They had run out of all food, hot drinks, and most cold drinks.

So I think I'll go with easyjet next time. At least they put some effort into selling me things and appear to have a reasonable selection.

Ironically, this currently makes Easyjet the premium provider for short haul flights.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

who or what is Ryanair ... do they operate the ferry to Europe ..

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:

Next week I'm flying Manchester - Warsaw to go shooting. I think the return flight cost £35 and a hotel for two nights was £40 between two of us. If the flight was much more then I wouldn't be going. Flying with a fancy company would probably cost more than the whole trip combined and would turn it into a once per year thing instead of once per month.

Flying return trips once a month? Shocked

You do know that planes can and do fall out of the sky, and the more time you spend in the danger zone (pressurised tube at 7miles above the earth) the dice is being rolled way too much for comfort!

I'd rather have 2 X-rays a month, or spend 2hours a month with my hands soaking in petrol or other chemicals etc.

It'd be like changing two flat tyres a month on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway in rush hour. That's the level of risk I'd associate with too much time in the sky!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was shipping superintendent for Shell we weren't allowed to fly on any of the UK budget airlines even if the flights and destinations suited. I would have quite happily used them for short European hops but it was a no no.

I never found out why they wouldn't let us use them. It wasn't the safety aspect, Aeroflot had a much worse record than any budget yet they were on the approved list.

There again, big business is a law unto itself. They never batted an eyelid when I put in flight expenses for 5 grand for a single to Singapore with BA. Ridiculous costs for business class but it was always full.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

You do know that planes can and do fall out of the sky, and the more time you spend in the danger zone (pressurised tube at 7miles above the earth) the dice is being rolled way too much for comfort!

And you called me a pussy for talking about NCAP ratings? Very Happy You're much more likely to die in a car than on a plane.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:17 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Not sure if serious, but..

Ahem; I believe the danger zones for being in tubes of metal are driving to the airport Smile... and yes, if your car falls out of the sky (having previously left the ground), it's pretty bad often! Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredsredhat wrote:
I flew with Ryanair a few weeks ago. The rules are very clear. Print your own passes. Don't turn up late or drunk and don't expect to carry on a massive suitcase.....
Apart from the cancelled flights (on which I cant really comment as they didnt affect me) I had no problem at all with Ryanair

+1 to that. And if ever I have used them I always regard it as one in the eye for O'Leary to get through the experience without being charged for his extras (which is every single time). I think there are plenty of passengers with this philosophy, which is the reason can keep going; however I do feel this latest fiasco could be a real game-changer for them. I don't mind playing along with their fee-charging games, and if I ever turn up and the airport without a boarding pass and need to pay them £60 or whatever I'll be pissed off of course, but that's the end of it.

BUT - this new prospect that we now have of being left in the lurch with no flight, either at home or stranded at our destination, is not one I'm prepared to risk. Well, I suppose I might just, but Ryanair will absolutely be a last resort from now on, and I'll certainly do all I can, to the extent of paying more to travel with a rival Shocked to avoid using them again.

stevo as b4 wrote:

Well my mate the airline pilot does it once a day, and has done for about 35 years, and like all his colleagues he seems to be doing OK.

And you ride a motorbike?! Surprised

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but your in charge of your own car, and it must always be a manly thing, preferably with some high performance workings inside, or even gods own engine. NCAP is for pussies, but it don't matter how Chuck Norris you are when your in an alien environment that's out of your control, and in an unsurvivable environment for humans.

No-one was designed to be sat 7miles above the earth in a pressurised heated environment, and travelling at over 600mph. Its got danger written all over it! Laughing

I just don't ever want to experience black dog syndrome, where you put yourself at high risk of serious death and injury, by doing something very risky, very often and worse still treating like an everyday bus journey, or walking up a set of stairs. Very dangerous view point IMO!

Anyway I've driven an aeroplane myself for 2hours, but at 2000ft, at 90-100knots. I also has a nice big reassuring propeller dragging me through the sky and the whole thing was probably the size of a large van, alot lighter, and instantly where you point it. You could even open the window for some fresh air.

None of the above applies to those evil huge flying beasts in the sky and the witchcraft that keeps them half way to outer space.

Oh and 35years of doing the above? Well I've heard of 9 lives for cats, but fuck me after pushing my luck for that long/cheating death way beyond the law of averages, I'd be too scared to walk across the road to the paper shop. Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:03 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Anyway I've driven an aeroplane myself for 2hours, but at 2000ft, at 90-100knots. I also has a nice big reassuring propeller dragging me through the sky and the whole thing was probably the size of a large van, alot lighter, and instantly where you point it. You could even open the window for some fresh air.

That is precisely how I imagine Ryanair. A flying van flown by someone who shouldn't be ferrying passengers.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:03 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety stats for planes with propellors vs planes with jet engines?

I presume that Ryanair pilots are required to have the same qualifications as pilots for any other commercial airline?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 05:25 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still 'NSIS'....
Apparently Ryan Air are excellent with mechanical safety - maintenance etc is the one area they don't scrimp on - just because they (normally) do actually try and prevent any circumstance that they have to pay out to passengers!

I've flown a good few hours in light aircraft (well, more than two - enough to fly solo, but not enough to complete the PPL) - a single cranky old piston engine on air frame that's going to have taken some abuse which may have just been hired out to someone who's interests may not be serviced by reporting any potential damage that was incurred while under their control... I would definitely take the multiple engined modern craft piloted by someone that will be in it next week too!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
No-one was designed to be sat 7miles above the earth in a pressurised heated environment, and travelling at over 600mph. Its got danger written all over it! Laughing

We weren't exactly designed to roll down the road at 70 mph either, that's why we tend to come out of such situations badly Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:51 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Many years ago I did my PPL, at a place in Florida with a fleet of very well used Cessna 150s.
I remember one of the aircraft in particular, because whenever we went up in that one we mostly flew over golf courses practising engine failures. When I asked why, I was told it was because that plane keeps spinning a bearing and killing the engine, so the instructors only fly it where they have a nice, easy emergency landing. And they all hated golfers.

You're a lot safer in a shiny new airliner. Light aircraft are lot less reliable, and emergency landings still have a pretty low success rate.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Many years ago I did my PPL, at a place in Florida with a fleet of very well used Cessna 150s.
I remember one of the aircraft in particular, because whenever we went up in that one we mostly flew over golf courses practising engine failures. When I asked why, I was told it was because that plane keeps spinning a bearing and killing the engine, so the instructors only fly it where they have a nice, easy emergency landing. And they all hated golfers.

You're a lot safer in a shiny new airliner. Light aircraft are lot less reliable, and emergency landings still have a pretty low success rate.

Well, I play a lot of grand theft auto, and I've survived more single prop crash landings than I have jets. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buggers are advertising on tv again Shocked

Flights from £14.99 Laughing

Anyway they can't be all bad, found this Thumbs Up

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.1949743.1412268428!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Could go a long way to explaining why we get 3 or 4 (nearly always fatal) plane crashes a year in this area...

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had this land in my inbox, with the subject line: POW! Over 1 million seats on sale. Comedy Gold.

https://s20.postimg.org/49kkbdvm5/Screenshot_2017-09-30_at_02.53.23.png

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need the money for those compensation claims. Whether they will still be around to deliver the flights you book is another question entirely.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:43 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned on the radio last night that rather than loving the trouble; other airlines would also be finding it problematic.
As they predicted Ryan Air would be offering a winter of cheap flights to keep their customer base.

And so others would have to compete down to their level too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4