Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Blackbird?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Honda Blackbird? Reply with quote

Just been offered a Blackbird for not alot.... its a 2002 with full panniers, scottoiler etc

Are they any good?

Insurance seems really reasonable on it aswell?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Just been offered a Blackbird for not alot....

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/motorbike-man-stunned-after-police-13656231

Thinking

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bikes for doing some decent mileage. Fast and you want, very comfy, but quite heavy.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends how much is not a lot

also bin the scottoiler they just make a mess

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful bikes. Up there with the hyper tourers, Busa, ZZR1200/1400 etc. Big heavy bikes that can go silly speeds, love them. Thumbs Up

Just be advised consumables, tyres, chain, brake pads all wear at an alarming rate if you are heavy handed.

Oh, they have Hondas shit (IMO) linked brake system.

How cheap?
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
depends how much is not a lot

also bin the scottoiler they just make a mess

Find myself in the awful position of having to agree with BodyTard, over 30k on the current machine with no problems and on other bikes. They're only shit if you don't spend the time to set them up right.

Anyway, as for OP; yes the Blackbird is a great machine. Big and heavy though, it's a born tourer so if you're after something flickable it's not really that. Fat lass can dance but you'll both be sweating.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the guy asking for a modern ZZR600 equivalent, the Blackbird is another machine that will never be replicated. Anyone managed to blow one up yet? Caveats of saggy rear shock, rec/rec ((although probably replaced by now), weight and my reluctance to recommend the linked brakes, oh, and plastics cost if you do fall over, probably in the same league as the carby fireblades for reliability. Get one while you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt say they where shit just said they make a mess, ive got one on my vtr.. i had my wheels painted white and that was when i went back to paddock stand and doing it by hand.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
As per the guy asking for a modern ZZR600 equivalent, the Blackbird is another machine that will never be replicated. Anyone managed to blow one up yet? Caveats of saggy rear shock, rec/rec ((although probably replaced by now), weight and my reluctance to recommend the linked brakes, oh, and plastics cost if you do fall over, probably in the same league as the carby fireblades for reliability. Get one while you can.

pyro put one in the side of a bike shop after crashing it many moons ago and still rode it after...

he also had the 24v one too

seen many with 80k+ miles

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels on 1100 are dark blue purely so I can get away with washing them twice a year. Granted the lower frame rail and side stand are always wet with oil but it’s a small price to pay for car levels of maintenance.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its my uncle's bike, he has knackered his shoulder so is getting rid of his fleet (CBR600rr & Blackbird) to get a Tiger or something....

He said he wants £2000, but because I'm fam, £1500. Rec has already been done an also comes with a spare. He has mentioned something about a screen an comfy seat Shocked

Its gonna be a step up from my 600 Bandit init?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 1500 quid I wouldn't even hesitate. Bearing in mind the bird was once the fastest road production bike available you get a whole lot of very reliable bike that'll do anything you ask of it and a shedload of gut wrenching power to boot.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
250kg wet?.

255Kg according to the book, so heavier than a VFR which is a land barge but the bird is very well balanced so you don't feel it on the move. It's only if momentum catches you off guard that you get into trouble with these biguns.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

Anyway, as for OP; yes the Blackbird is a great machine. Big and heavy though, it's a born tourer so if you're after something flickable it's not really that. Fat lass can dance but you'll both be sweating.

That's the best analogy I have seen for the Blackbird. Laughing

The one I rode was exactly like that but that doesn't mean it doesn't handle, the owner of that bike regularly chases down sports bikes on it.

It responds well to a firm push on the bars and will make your bandit with it's wide bars feel nimble, speed wise it will be just shy of double the power with actual aerodynamics so you won't feel the wind blast that you do on the Bandit... MCN's review says... 1/4-mile in 10.3 secs Cool

Have you bought it yet?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've told him I will have it Cool hoping to go an see it tomorrow, an see if im covered it to ride it on my policy.

Still cant really understand why its only £30 per year extra than my Bandit to insure??

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Yeah I've told him I will have it Cool hoping to go an see it tomorrow, an see if im covered it to ride it on my policy.

Still cant really understand why its only £30 per year extra than my Bandit to insure??

Because it's the sort of bike that was bought by 'mature' riders before adventure bikes came along. It wasn't something the sporty or young would want. It still has that reputation.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test ride done, it pulls like a train (compared to my Bandit).

Feels weird, its like a fast comfy armchair.

Also, why the funk have I not ridden a faired bike before, no more trying to hold on for dear life when going a bit err faster.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:57 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great bikes.

Install a voltage meter.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:59 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of people I've known with Blackbirds ended up getting done for speeding after having a clean license for a number of years, so I'd guess that they are very easy to go quick on, and not very dramatic when doing so.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
A number of people I've known with Blackbirds ended up getting done for speeding after having a clean license for a number of years, so I'd guess that they are very easy to go quick on, and not very dramatic when doing so.

All those hyper tourer bikes are incredibly easy to speed on, and by speed I mean 3 figures that feel pedestrian.

It was the main reason I got rid of my busa. I could see it was going to be that or my license, and the Blackbird is more comfortable than the busa!

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
They are great bikes.

Install a voltage meter.

Agreed, or any Honda for that matter!

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

All those hyper tourer bikes are incredibly easy to speed on, and by speed I mean 3 figures that feel pedestrian.

It was the main reason I got rid of my busa. I could see it was going to be that or my license, and the Blackbird is more comfortable than the busa!

Way too easy to hit triple digits without realising. Luckily I still have a clean license.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2