Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Name Change - Deedpoll - Certifying copies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Name Change - Deedpoll - Certifying copies Reply with quote

Ok, as we discuss name changes regularly, I thought I would be able to find an old thread to add this to. No dice.

So I thought I would do a bit of a write up for others, as well as ask a bit of advice.

I changed my name officially (To my new name, HongKong Phuey HoneyWoowoo, as you ask) using Deedpolls Online.

It cost me 26 quid delivered in total, and arrived literally a day or two later.
Name change was only 10 quid, but I paid some extra for it to be stored internally, and a fair lump for a big pile of copies.

They provided a brief on how to witness the name change, included in the package.

Now, in general UK use - You can just get the copies signed by anyone not in your family - Good social standing is also helpful.

However,

If you wish to use them overseas/abroad, you should get them witnessed by a solicitor...

I just got quoted £10 for one copy, or £40 for my stack of 15, from a small law firm in Leigh, Lancashire.

Chap did worry that if I "wanted to use them overseas" they may need to be notarised by someone able to do public notaries.

Sounds like it would cost £100-200 for the job, hopefully for the whole lot but you never know. Did not sound a vested interest, and it was mentioned in the brief from Deedpolls Online

Questions for the grown-ups on the forum/those with name changes enacted

- When have you ever come across the need to have them notarised?

Foreign embassies in this country, anything overseas

- Can I get the solicitor witnessed copies notarised later if it comes up?

Yes, I think you can, but it would be redundant (and the solicitor would charge you for the first copy... will double check

- Which services did you find difficult to change your name?

- What issues have ever come up, and what advice can you give those navigating them.

- As above, but overseas specific issues and ways to avoid/mitigate PITA.

Cheers,

Hongkong Phuey

Last edited by Sun Wukong on 10:12 - 21 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of work to change your BCF Username Shocked

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
Seems like a lot of work to change your BCF Username Shocked

You should see what goes in to getting a custom title... Korn gets some damn good perks I tell you Laughing

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a Notary Public says;

Quote:
What is a Notary Public?
On certain occasions, for example Changing your Name when you Live outside the UK, you may be asked by the Foreign Office to have your Deed Poll witnessed / Certified by a Notary.

This Generally only happens when the Deed Poll needs to be used in other Countries , for example someone born in England but Living in Spain.

The reason that they request this is so that the Country that is receiving the Deed Poll can be sure that it is Genuine.

A Notary Public is therefore an Individual who has the authority to Certify / Authorize a document which means they give it their "Seal of approval" so it can be used in another Country.
What is a Notary Public?
What makes someone a Notary Public?

To be a Notary Public they must have certain legal qualifications in order to practice as a Notary. This is usually when they are a Qualified Solicitor or have been in the past.

There are specific notary examinations and qualifications to ensure that any individual is sufficiently qualified so that they can be sure when they approve / certify a Deed Poll they are certain that everything is correct and Legitimate.

Can I just use a Solicitor then?

If you only need your Deed Poll to be certified within the United Kingdom then you can use a Solicitor, but if you need your Deed Poll certified for use in another Country then you must use a Notary Public.

How much does it cost?

Solicitor Certified Deed Poll Cost

For a qualified Solicitor to Certify your Deed Poll for use within the UK this usually costs between £15-25 for a Deed Poll and any additional copies you want certified.

I would suggest that a cheaper alternative is to use one of the many Deed Poll companies within the UK to do your Deed Poll for you, as there is no need for a Solicitor to Certify your Deed Poll in the UK as it is not a legal requirement. The only reason people do is just for a bit of extra piece of mind, but in my opinion it is an unnecessary expense.

Public Notary Certified Deed Poll Cost

For a Qualified Notary Public to certify your Deed Poll it costs between £40 - £50.

To find a UK based Notary Public close to you, use the following online search tool -

The Notaries Society

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted many notaries (well, 5-6), and got quotes ranging from 70 quid all in to 150 quid all in. Email a few people Thumbs Up

Also, it's like a Russian nesting egg.

Quote:
When you come to use the documents abroad in the future, you might find that they will not be accepted by the receiving jurisdiction without an apostille from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Some jurisdictions also require consular legalisation from their own embassy or consular office. Much depends upon where the document is to be used. If you would like further information, please let me know the country or countries in question. These forms of apostille and legalisation have associated costs and disbursements in addition to the costs referred to above.

And she also wants proof of my name change from a utilities or bank first. So, as my understanding of it.

- Get 10 or so copies.
- Sign 5-7 with your mates.
- Change your domestic stuff.
- Get a few notarised for overseas stuff.

Top cat
"Hard times lead to hard people. Hard people lead to good times. Good times lead to weak people. Weak people lead to hard times." Smegballs
"Oh and STE balloons would be one of the nicer things we would receive at the office, the amount of dog turd in jiffy bags is not funny." Jsmith86

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 05:41 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my name for free using an online form. Sent it to HMPO and then use the passport to change with DVLA.

When I did work in Saudi I just provided my paperwork. All my documents were photocopied and signed as true copies by a Notary. I've actually lost my deed poll now, but as long as no one wants to see my birth certificate, I'm all good.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need do is make a 'Statutory Declaration' (can be nothing more than a letter you send to banks etc). However, the passport and DVLA like it to be notarised by a solicitor (used to cost a fiver). Once you have the passport and/or driving licence you need nothing else, anywhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1