Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New bike and hopefully a new rider!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Elliot-
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:11 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: New bike and hopefully a new rider!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm 25 and recently completed my CBT and Motorcycle theory, have plans for lessons and then taking the A license test.
Have bought myself a 10 year old Kawasaki ER-5, heard they're a good forgiving first bike. Wanted it to be something sensible and a good commuter.

I was a member on here about 10 years ago when I was looking for a scooter, so its good to be back!

https://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s347/eparkes8/DBD2A779-0860-495C-AC48-794A9CEC8CB1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Sounds like a good plan you have, and a sensible bike to start out with. What / who's bike is that in the background?

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:38 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, why did you buy a bike before you're licensed up? Presumably it's sitting around uninsured and SORNed, depreciating away?

Certainly sensible, but you may find it a bit of a step down from your 600cc+ training /test bike.

Not a crazy choice, I'm just curious about why you put the cart before the horse.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:23 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you mate, all the best with it!

Kaz.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:42 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Teffing is imminent ....

https://media.tenor.com/images/bb39415ddb4150a4fa01c7965ede2183/tenor.gif

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: New bike and hopefully a new rider!! Reply with quote

-Elliot- wrote:

Have bought myself a 10 year old Kawasaki ER-5, heard they're a good forgiving first bike.

Boring bike, and I don't mean cos I've ridden blades and shit (cos I haven't), I mean compared to other bikes BCF chastise on a regular basis. They actually handle ok, they're just so utterly soulless.

Anyhoo enjoy Very Happy

-Elliot-
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:55 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a nice old machine for me to learn on alingside my lessons at the riding school. I have access to a large car park which remains empty during the days. This site is full of bellends, I have noticed...

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Elliot- wrote:
I think its a nice old machine for me to learn on alingside my lessons at the riding school. I have access to a large car park which remains empty during the days. This site is full of bellends, I have noticed...

I've not ridden an ER5 but, it's probably a fairly reasonable choice for you to get some practice on. Thumbs Up

You may or may not get bored of it pretty quickly though. I rode a R125 for around 3 years and still managed to have some fun riding it. Mr. Green

The thing is though, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from selling it and buying something bigger if you do want more oomph at any time. It's certainly a better option than buying a new R6 to practice and gain experience on for example.

Good luck with your tests. Thumbs Up

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Elliot- wrote:
This site is full of bellends, I have noticed...

I see. The brakes are shocking as well, yeah single disc and rear drum on a bike that heavy.

See you in 2027 after your next 10yr flounce Razz

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:16 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Elliot- wrote:
I think its a nice old machine for me to learn on alingside my lessons at the riding school. I have access to a large car park which remains empty during the days.

Road Traffic Act applies to any place you or any-one else can gain unimpeded access. Tax, MOT, Insurance & licence are required; + not merely 'access' but land-owners permission to use land.... and how do you get bike to a car-park?

Also, local plod are probably more likely to track you down and try and get a collar for you riding around a a few hundred square feet of car-park, than a few miles of random streets.. they don't have to hunt so hard! So expect challenge and expect to be treated as a low life bike nicking joy-riding chav until proven innocent. They dont get'em very often, so when it seems they have one just served on a silver platter, they will get all exited about it.. especially if you look more than 18 so social workers wont stop the beak putting on the black cap!!

There's then small matter that going it alone, unsupervised practice, means you don't have any-one on hand if you drop it, like you do when doing lessons... and if you are in a secluded compound you hope not to be disturbed, then not so likely any-one will come along to help... even if not that bad, believe me, trying to load a bent lightweight bike onto a trailer isn't the most fun when you are a bit bruised.. trying to shove a heavier one along the pavement even less!

This bit of the plan IS one I would suggest isn't maybe the best.

Elsewise, its a sensible starter bike, and other than having it before licence to ride it, likely ramping excitement and pressure to pass.. not a lot can be said... you made your bed and got on with it, which is a lot more than most asking newb q's... so not a lot to add really... just get on with it!

Have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:46 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Road Traffic Act applies to any place you or any-one else can gain unimpeded access.

Parts of it do.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Tax, MOT, Insurance & licence are required;

VED, MOT and licence are required on a road.

Insurance is required in any public place.

A car park is likely to be the latter, but not the former, except for any parts that form a route between two public roads where the case law gets muddied.

Otherwise, I agree in principle that it would be a damn silly thing to win RTA Offence Bingo for the sake of riding an ER-5.

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:55 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Er, why did you buy a bike before you're licensed up? Presumably it's sitting around uninsured and SORNed, depreciating away?

Certainly sensible, but you may find it a bit of a step down from your 600cc+ training /test bike.

Not a crazy choice, I'm just curious about why you put the cart before the horse.

Is it possible for a 10 year old Kawasaki ER-5 to depreciate? Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:24 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. Interest can wane. OP could have buyer's regrets before he even gets to ride it legally.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Fair point. Interest can wane. OP could have buyer's regrets before he even gets to ride it legally.

I suspect a number of bikes bought before passing a test get sold on, when the purchaser fails to pass. Pretty sure that's what happened to the lad I sold my MT-03 to, and someone on here was on bike number 2 but couldn't get through Mod 1 Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1