Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hankering after a scooter...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:42 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Hankering after a scooter... Reply with quote

Yeah I know. Never been on one, but they do look like a laugh.
Even my wife (a non-biker) is ripping the piss.

Not really got space for a second big bike, though that does appear to have got the thumbs up from the mrs.

I've asked on facebook and nobody in my area has one I can try. Do I just buy some £200 thing from Gumtree to play with for a bit, get out on the Versys more or what?

Suggestions welcome...

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've toyed with the idea myself. Haven't ridden one since I was 16 but they do look great for just nipping out on short journeys. Sadly most of the cheap ones have been abused by teenagers but I'd certainly get one if I had more space in the garage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:15 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A laugh is the last thing I'd describe them as, at least based on my Burgman.

An ickle 125 may be different, but getting the same response from the same throttle opening every time got dull pretty quickly.

There's probably a reason why #BahkLaf are always riding their scootays standing up or facing backwards or what-not.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:39 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Vespa? Something bigger than 125cc means that there's a higher possibility that the owner wasn't a scroat that abused the bejesus out of it. It's also pretty small.
It's the only small scooter above 125 that I am aware of.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st thought would be that you'll be real lucky to get any decent 125cc or less, on the cheap. You may find some larger ones that haven't been wrecked though...
Although unless you have a reason to get one, I wouldn't...

Crumbso
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Vespa GT200 recently for £650. Fantastic and fun way to get to work. The Bandit 12 was too much of a PITA to get in and out of the garage each morning. Fuel costs bugger all and you can filter like a mad man. Underseat storage is massive and top-box is nice.

However, reliability has already been a bit suss so.. you know..

Last edited by Crumbso on 16:38 - 04 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooters are only a laugh if you're ragging them across fields on a mid-summer afternoon.

Or if you're trying desperately hard to wheely the easy way.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4194636

To;dr great on holiday not sure otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort have been toying with the idea of getting some sort of cheap twist and go myself too believe it or not. My dad has had scooters for two years or so since selling his last big bike, and if I got a second hand scooter I didn't particularly care about then I could go on more rides with him and his mate.

I've had two stroke twist and go's before, but only to play with and throw tuning parts at them like a twat. This time I'd probably like a little fuel sipping four stroke, seeing as I'm surrounded by expensive to fix two stroke engines and unfinished project bikes etc. It would also stop me from searching for expansion chambers and big bore kits.

Apart from being a total tart with one of my KMX's I really don't want to throw much cash into bikes these days, seeing as I barely ride them anywhere. That and my desire to put a new ECU on my car (another non running project), means having money or putting it aside for big bikes isn't really much of a priority.

The only thing that's stopped me buying a scooter so far is that I could get a decent used halfway house bike like a Hornet 900 for the price of a low miles used scooter of 125-250cc.

The big Hornet has the looks I want in a bike, but isn't really classic enough and would I like a modified updated 80's bike more, if I had the time and equipment to build one, which will never realistically happen for years.

OP keep us updated on what you get and how you find it.

I know a few people from work that are into the old Lambretta scene, and I've even thought a trad scooter would be cool for summer pottering about on, but they are noisy, slow and smelly and just everything a two stroke should be, without the explosive performance. Not to mention I bet even a small cc plastic twist and go with modern suspension and brakes would decimate an expensive tuned TS1 from A-B.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the other thing with a cheap small throwaway when knackered Chinese plastic scoot, is that there's always the chance it might last 2-3years with some maintenance. Its hopefully a push the button and ride light weight choice.

Any old desirable 125 or other lightweight Japanese bike that's fun is a labour of love and pretty much either a resto project or an ongoing money pit. I don't think you'd have that issue with a chinqy scoot, as when it breaks and can't be fixed without needing a load of hard to find parts, you'd just throw it in a skip and walk home without a second thought.

Throwing away a once decent Japanese bike is harder to do and gives you a pang of guilt.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only ever once ridden a scooter, and that's how it's going to stay. It was a Peugeot Speedfight, can't remember now if it was a 100 or 125. Horrible wobbly thing, and I kept grabbing for the clutch - brakes actually weren't bad Laughing But no. Just no. Tisn't natural.

Kill this desire now, would be my advice.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off on a 125 scooter 6 years ago. The only reason I can think that I might be inclined to get another would be if I lived in a busy city. Certainly not for fun.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

your better off with a honda msx 125 Laughing

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

I concur!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Xenter125 for Mrs grr to pootle about on, it's quite a laugh and nippier than I expected. Seen a diplayed 69mph
two up on it. 16" wheels so not a wobbly little thing like a vespa. 13plate FSH but a little bit tatty, I gave 800quid for it.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:09 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scooter with the muffs, big windscreen and the blanket thingy is the best thing if you want to use a bike all year round in the UK, they can be fun in a beating the traffic kind of way but they are not thrilling machines.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an interesting commute... Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:18 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great film. Pity about the sequels and remakes.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

look lnto lmls

like vespas but cheaper and geared (auto also available) small (10 inch) wheels equals fun Laughing Laughing

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

This

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:37 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a few choices, pick up an old honda C50/70/90 and you'll get your money back easily when you come to sell it.
If you fancy a retro style scooter the AJS Modena is a great looking scooter and cheap to buy new and worth nothing in a couple of years when it breaks.
Or just pick up something local and cheap, i have a 125 Elyseo that ive had for 9yrs used everyday for work and other short journeys, easy to use cheap to run and saves using the big bike in crap weather, plus loads of storage space. Its about on its last legs now so ive just spent £200 on a 07 honda 100 to replace it, simple to service doesnt even have an oil filter and only takes 1lt of oil, next time halfords are having there oil special i'll get 5 oil changes for £15 or so.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the honda msx 125 will give you 130-140 mpg and a top speed of 65mph Cool
on the motorway this drops to 115mpg

you know you want to join us!

check my fuelly (switch the unit to UK as its defaults to USA) https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/grom_125/2015/wooizm/441875
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

strikeforce
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
the honda msx 125 will give you 130-140 mpg and a top speed of 65mph Cool
on the motorway this drops to 115mpg

you know you want to join us!

check my fuelly (switch the unit to UK as its defaults to USA) https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/grom_125/2015/wooizm/441875

This

My msx is a barrel of laughs

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest advantage to small bikes like the MSX and other pit style bikes, is that they might crash better than a plastic bodied scooter? Then again some scooters might be better off sliding down the road without breaking stuff maybe?

The manual clutch and gearbox is while not a chore, no advantage on a pure commuter and not worth paying more for. Its also for me not the biggest downside to a scooter, I'd actually always prefer twist and go for a non fun bike. (sounds a bit of a G'ism I know).

Its the small wheels, and on some models the wobbly high speed handling and the high C of G, that possibly makes them less stable than a bike. Counter that with the fact though that some scooters have bigger/wider and gripper tyres than little commuter bikes like CG's or chinqy clones, as well as stronger brakes and beefier suspension too. Also a 10bhp wheezy four stroke commuter engine while ok on open roads/suburbs etc, ain't gonna get you moving any faster at best with a flurry of gear changes, compared to a twist and go.

Both have advantages, but in city or town heavy traffic, saying I want a bike because I used to having a clutch on the left bar and want to feel in control is not a valid point or any benefit. A commuter bike purely for boring shitty journey's of miserable necessity does not want or need to be fun IMO.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3