xs500 issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:21 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: xs500 issues Reply with quote

hey guys
I few more issues im hoping to get sorted.
I've noticed oil on the fins collecting around the damper rubbers on the left side. whilst i was looking for the source i noticed something, it looks like theres a slight gap between the cam box and cylinder on the left side. I'm not sure if its meant to be like that or if its the source of the leak.

problem 2
since i got this bike the starter hasnt worked. The starter chain and starter button had been removed. i replaced these and tried to start it but it barely turned over. I then tried to kick it over but i had the same problem the kick starter had become really stiff. I removed the starter chain and the kick starter went back to working normally.

any help greatly appreciated.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: xs500 issues Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:

problem 2
since i got this bike the starter hasnt worked. The starter chain and starter button had been removed. i replaced these and tried to start it but it barely turned over. I then tried to kick it over but i had the same problem the kick starter had become really stiff. I removed the starter chain and the kick starter went back to working normally.

any help greatly appreciated.

Starter motor itself seized?

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: xs500 issues Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Starter motor itself seized?

Nope it's fine

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:17 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be the brushes , check the length. check the one way bearing(sprag clutch ) that's the unit that allows the engine to run without dragging the starter motor around continually

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:22 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
could be the brushes , check the length. check the one way bearing(sprag clutch ) that's the unit that allows the engine to run without dragging the starter motor around continually

The starter motor seems to be working fine but ill check it.

When the starter is connected up without the starter chain it spins fine and the bike starts with the kick starter but when i connect up the starter chain everything is stiff. I thought it must be one of the other things the starter chain goes around.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this gap normal ?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:44 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2903 wrote:
Tankie wrote:

The starter motor seems to be working fine but ill check it.

When the starter is connected up without the starter chain it spins fine and the bike starts with the kick starter but when i connect up the starter chain everything is stiff. I thought it must be one of the other things the starter chain goes around.

That is the starter clutch

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:19 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:

That is the starter clutch

You think that could be my problem ?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:53 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the chain connected kick the engine over, if the starter motor turns then the clutch/one way bearing is seized/ fooked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1