Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ? Reply with quote

It took me about 10 minutes to fill up today at the BP station on the Talgarth road / a4 in Hammersmith today as the counter staff refused to authorise fuel for my bike at the first two pumps I tried. Of 18 available pumps they would only allow me to fill up at pump no 2.
There were various lies told when I later paid for my petrol about the pumps not working which were clearly rubbish as their were cars filling up with unleaded at the first two pumps as I stood there.

After a while the manager said that there were problems identifying my license plate on their cameras and that someone had to come out and write down my number before they could authorise my petrol which was clearly also a lie.in the end he admitted they were doing this to all bikers as they had experienced some non payments recently .

Bottom line is I don't see why I should be treated like crap and forced to move and queue at a number of pumps until they think they have me cornered in enough that I'm less of a flight risk. Fair enough but I won't be using them again in a hurry. It's not as if they haven't got enough of a margin at 1.219 a litre of unleaded to carry a bit of risk. After all I am a near 50 year old bloke dressed in textiles On a vstrom and not a couple of youths with balaclavas instead of helmets On a clearly knicked bike.

Anyone else get this sort of crap from any garages they've used, and is it time to do something about this or should I just get over myself.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

Anyone else get this sort of crap from any garages they've used, and is it time to do something about this or should I just get over myself.

Nope, never. Never been asked to remove my helmet (although I usually do anyway, because polite), never been asked to get off the bike to fill up, to pre-pay, to use specific pumps or any of that shite.

I must just have an honest face.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
It's not as if they haven't got enough of a margin at 1.219 a litre of unleaded to carry a bit of risk.

What margin do you think they have?

p.s. Your're wrong, they don't have the margin. That's why they try to sell you crap from the shop.

We don't get that happening much here, but then we don't have loads of scrotes riding off without paying. I still don't get why so many pay-at-pump things no longer work - my local garages have disabled them. Seems like it'd solve problem.

Last edited by ScaredyCat on 14:44 - 21 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As scardeycat says, there isn't much profit per litre. I heard 2p or something similar.

Just don't go back to that particular petrol station. Thumbs Up

With the number of scummies in London, I can understand why they'd be wary.

Got to love the people that buy their weekly shop, 20 fags, and half a roll of scratch cards in front of you in the queue. Laughing

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
As scardeycat says, there isn't much profit per litre. I heard 2p or something similar.

Yep - with the typically small amounts bikers put in, they probably barely make enough to pay for the card transaction fees.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:55 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
is it time to do something about this or should I just get over myself.

They'll get over losing you as a customer so you should also get over it. Wink

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been asked to take off my helmet at a couple of pumps on my usual commute. Avoid them now.

The two pumps I use regularly know me now and are fine with my helmet staying on, despite one of them having a great big sign saying otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:16 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been asked to take my helmet off once, oddly, after I had filled my tank and was in the shop.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

Got to love the people that buy their weekly shop, 20 fags, and half a roll of scratch cards in front of you in the queue. Laughing

On the positive side, these are probably the people that keep the fuel station viable. Still annoying though!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:20 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it time to start bycotting places?

Well I, for one, don't go back to any shops where they make life unecessarily difficult for me. Always have done. I'd have expected most other people to do so too?

It's called market forces.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:23 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Hammersmith

There's your problem

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

With the number of scummies in London, I can understand why they'd be wary.

This.
Filled up out near Wells yesterday in lid with black visor without even getting off the bike.
Bit low on baklaffers in that neck of the woods so no probs at all. I did open my visor to pay at least.
No CCTV at the Murco garage I used either. And would you believe it, a white cashier. It's like being in
another (considerably more civilised) country I tell you. Laughing

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambridge kid here... Don't think I've ever had anyone ask me to remove my helmet, and most garages are still manned by feckless white teens...

It's so white civilised round here, I bumped someone elses car in traffic in my cage the other day... they asked ME to reverse and tell them if there was any damage and took my word when I said the mark would rub off (genuinely it would but still..) Rolling Eyes.

Not once seen the police on my estate in the 5 years since we moved in!

I know I'm not moving any time soon Dance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:13 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the till monkey is on the hook for any thefts.

Yes, the lies are ridiculous, obvious and insulting.

No, they won't care about losing your business.

Yes, you should take it elsewhere.

No, I will not be joining you for a Rage Ride.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the BP the other side of the flyover, its generally quieter as well. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:17 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to walk in wearing crash helmet, pick up a pint of milk, proffer £1 and see if they refuse to take the money.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:23 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you even get a pint of milk from a petrol station for one pound? Razz

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:29 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I buy most of my petrol in Sainsburys. Unfortunately Waitrose don't have filling stations so I have to slum it a bit.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'd be tempted to walk in wearing crash helmet, pick up a pint of milk, proffer £1 and see if they refuse to take the money.

Probably not, as that is a transparent attempt to get them to open the till so you can help yourself to the contents Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Ste wrote:

I buy most of my petrol in Sainsburys. Unfortunately Waitrose don't have filling stations so I have to slum it a bit.

Awesome politician alert - not only fails to know how much a pint of milk costs but also prevaricates by answering a question that wasn't actually asked!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Is it time to start boycotting certain petrol stations ? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

No ..... just you...... get over yourself...

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:10 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three filling stations which I use 95% of the time are Tesco Abingdon, Tesco Cowley (Oxford) and Sainsbury's Oxford (Heyford Hill). I think because they all know me well, I have never had a request to remove my helmet. It is a flip-up one, and these are good for clocking a face (especially a wrinkly 81 year old one like mine lol)

I did ask the girl at Sainsbury's one day if they minded that I leave my helmet one, and she said that it was OK as they know me (I think from either the dazzling day runners, or the ridiculously bright Hi-viz jacket, or both)

If I am ever on a ride out and need fuel, I will of course be in the company of quite a few other bikers, and I am willing to remove the helmet if necessary. I always remove it if all my fellow riders remove theirs. So far no problems encountered with the remaining 5% of filling stations, but I have not yet filled up in or around London since returning to biking following a 23 year gap. I don't remember EVER having problems before I gave up despatching in 1993, and I was based near LHR.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:11 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of burkas yet!?

Must be a fucking record, they normally pop in the first response to "The mean petrol people made me take my lid off" moans.

Use them or don't use them, they certainly won't give a shit either way.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Awesome politician alert - not only fails to know how much a pint of milk costs but also prevaricates by answering a question that wasn't actually asked!

I'm not used to buying pints......... of milk.........
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3