Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Remote/keyless ignition switches

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Remote/keyless ignition switches Reply with quote

Hi all,

My K100 was recently nicked and recovered (hooray) and is now missing the ignition barrel completely. I have a lot of wire to play with and plenty of room to hide stuff away so I would like to do away with the ignition barrel and its easily cut-and-twisted wires and have a nice car style remote blipper thing to turn it on and off. Maybe something like this, it's hard to tell with all the engrish:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Alarm-System-Anti-theft-Immobiliser-Security-Remote-Control-/311936683748?hash=item48a0e00ee4:g:V3YAAOSwqBdZjYeC

Has anyone tried one of these cheap chinky kits? Are they reliable? Will it strand me? Can I even use it to turn the ignition on and off? I understand it is best to have the box operate a relay, and have the relay take the strain, that is fine.

Thanks for any help/insight!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh FFS!

It might cost more than a tenner in phone calls to un-fix that shite. Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:17 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Remote/keyless ignition switches Reply with quote

I installed one on my TRX850.

Great fun to scare people by starting it from the office as they walked past.

Not so great when you start it up at home from inside to warm up a bit, ride 20 miles, decide you need petrol and realise you've left the keys on the computer table.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:26 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Remote/keyless ignition switches Reply with quote

G wrote:
Not so great when you start it up at home from inside to warm up a bit, ride 20 miles, decide you need petrol and realise you've left the keys on the computer table.

LOL!

I have to confess that notion has been bothering me lately!

They locks getting worn on the seven-fifty, and can be removed without turning the ignition 'off'...

Thirty years ago, the worn ignition key in my Moggy minor fell out the dash on the way home one night.. I cursed the lack of a curtecy light scrambling about on the floor to find it.. went in the house, found a torch, came back.... and found a 'hole' in the gear-lever grommet....

There was that 'moment'.. looking at the hole, and pondering a bit of gearbox... "It could't have fallen through THERE... surely?" More grapling with rubber mats, discovering more rust on the foot wells, until I HAD to admit the key wasn't in the cab.... and I cautiously retraced my tyres tracks, cursing Lucas Prince of Darkness sealed beam headlamps....

Sure enough, five Miles from home, I spotted my Keys in the gutter chucked by propshaft!

It is a dilemma... am I more likely to loose motorbike key from worn lock, or from a pocket?

If it's any cancellation, though; No1 Son fitted remote start alarm to his GPz some years ago, and did the exact same thing.... only he had just ridden 200 miles back from uni when he discovered the error!! Lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jpno5
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:07 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't really know enough about electrics but i know enough to hook up a pi zero to a relay that can be turned on and off over wifi, nfc etc. I'm having an issue with my gz125 starting, some sort of electrical fault, im tempted just to make my own start system with the pi. If you're interested post back here, maybe sort something out.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:20 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpno5 wrote:
i don't really know enough about electrics but i know enough to hook up a pi zero to a relay that can be turned on and off over wifi, nfc etc. I'm having an issue with my gz125 starting, some sort of electrical fault, im tempted just to make my own start system with the pi. If you're interested post back here, maybe sort something out.
Errr... why not just start with a cheap physical key or hidden switch?
Adding a lot more complicated electronics doesn't sound like an ideal way to diagnose an electrical issue like that!

jpno5
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:43 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my bike, locks etc are fine, think its some sort of issue with a cut off switch, adding a pi and a relay i can do remote starts etc as well as solve my current issue of nothing happening when i hit the button.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:27 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Remote/keyless ignition switches Reply with quote

G wrote:
I installed one on my TRX850.

Then hopefully you can tell me - Can I use such a thing to just act as an ignition switch? On and off?

I don't want remote start, I'm not even interested in an alarm, I just want to hide the wires away so that thieving toe rags won't know what to do with it.

A Pi seems a bit overboard, but may be more reliable than an unknown Chinese box!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:41 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Remote/keyless ignition switches Reply with quote

Hmmm.. you can certainly turn it off as well as starting it.

You could always not attach the start section - that way the starter button would turn it on but not start it and you can definitely turn it off too.

Though - this was all 11 years ago for me I think!

jpno5
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:40 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pi could be overkill but they're so cheap and you get full control. well the reason i had the Pi in mind is for other things too, i have a pi zero which is tiny, also have a mini hd camera for it that can be mounted on the bike, can also add gps and then i could download video and gps coordinates at the end of the day and make use of that.

i have both an android phone and watch so would be nice to just jump on the bike and hit the start button if it detects me within range.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:54 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to this.. I have bought one of these remote start kits, but I'm not sure I can actually wire it up to remotely turn the bike on and off like turning the key. The wiring diagram is this:

https://i.imgur.com/X622AAF.jpg

The box doesn't take over from the ignition switch, the switch stays connected so does all the main on/offing. I believe I am to follow the DC circuit diagram (I don't know what the AC diagram is for, my ignition switch doesn't have that many outputs?) but am unsure of how to wire it up, I might do better if I had any idea what they mean by flameout! Does this ground the ignition circuit like a kill switch?

My guess would be to power the magic Chinese box with the red wire, and have the red/orange wires operate a relay to connect the wires that would've been connected by the ignition switch. Presumably the orange wire (to unlock the doors of your motorcycle) can be powered by the box, bypassing the ignition lock. It will have to be through a relay though, the wiring to the box consists of about 5 tiny strands of aluminium and will never take the strain..

Am I on the right track? Does anyone care? I guess we'll find out either way!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1