Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:00 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What is a "blank MOT"?

I was thinking of the days they came on books and testers filled them out with a bic biro....

Curiously, the modern 'computerized' system, with no actual certificate, just a 'receipt' takes my tester longer to fill out than it ever did him trying to find the bic biro that was usually behind his ear, but required a half hour search of every draw in the roll-cab and desk, and a trip to the gents before he popped next door to borrow one, and it fell out when he bent over to fill in the pad and put his spex on!

Modern Technology, eh? Saves save so much time..... eventually!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:06 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
What is a "blank MOT"?

read my last post?

i cant tell if youre being purposely dumb or just brainfart

I'm trying to figure out if by "blank" you meant something different to clean.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:12 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Modern Technology, eh? Saves save so much time..... eventually!

It doesn't save you any time at all, it does save whoever administers the scheme a lot of time you have no idea about. after the mot is written all that information used to be written out again in it's entirety in another book. also I prefer not to go to the Post office to tax a vehicle, and paying by direct debit is nice, Luddite.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
TBH I reckon it was more whichever letter the assessor found easier to write. Never found any consistency to it, which is probably why the whole thing has been replaced with Jew classifications.

Fo sho. I wouldn't look at a Cat C any differently than a Cat D, I've seen Cat C's with a cracked fairing and Cat D's with massive front end damage.

The new categories have me a little worried, seeing as 'S' (the old category C) can include frame damage now Confused, and I think you can end up with a Cat' B through totting up essentially (with no frame damage).

As for the MoT argument, I've used two MoT testers, one will basically pass everything with no advisories unless it has something really unsafe (f**ked brakes etc.), the other will only check your indicators/lights. I use the former as I like to know my bikes not a complete deathtrap Smile

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:03 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mean blank as in no date/numbers/vehicle put in - I mean blank as in nothing in the faults or advisaries box. Often used to mask a vehicle with plenty of problems

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:17 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The new categories

Should be ignored in favour of examining the bike carefully for exactly the reason that arry gave - that it might have been Smilered without insurance ever being involved.

All that matters is whether the vehicle has been reported to the DVLA as non-repairable. If it is, then they won't issue a new V5C for it - but feel free to ask anyway, specifically about the regulatory basis for their refusal.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
The new categories

Should be ignored in favour of examining the bike carefully for exactly the reason that arry gave - that it might have been Smilered without insurance ever being involved.

All that matters is whether the vehicle has been reported to the DVLA as non-repairable. If it is, then they won't issue a new V5C for it - but feel free to ask anyway, specifically about the regulatory basis for their refusal.

That goes without saying, especially with bikes where the chances are it has been dropped or crashed. My point was throwing frame damage into the mix isn't really helping the situation, and is odd seeing as you can't currently get a v5c for a Cat B bike with a damaged frame (even if you could in the past).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
you can't currently get a v5c for a Cat B bike

What's a "cat B" bike, currently?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
you can't currently get a v5c for a Cat B bike

What's a "cat B" bike, currently?

Has aids, can only be harvested for organs?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:43 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now. Let's not continue to believe in fictional categories even after the insurance cartel have stopped pretending that they exist.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Now, now. Let's not continue to believe in fictional categories even after the insurance cartel have stopped pretending that they exist.

Well since the dvla started believing and stopped issuing V5s you have to at least acknowledge their existence.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:00 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the new, real, non-repairable marker. Which is the only thing that actually matters.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2