Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'SKY' Box to 'phone land line.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: 'SKY' Box to 'phone land line. Reply with quote

For what reason does my 'SKY' box have a connection to the 'phone land line ?. Wossit do, what does it affect if it's unplugged ?.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can unplug it if you don't purchase films or other SKY content.
It was used as a verification method, but having never used SKY I don't know if it's even used for that anymore.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
You can unplug it if you don't purchase films or other SKY content.
It was used as a verification method, but having never used SKY I don't know if it's even used for that anymore.
There were privacy concerns, people used to go nuts about not plugging it in, so Sky couldn't snoop. Sky used to point out it in fact was in T&C's.

BUT THEN! We get them attached to the internet, to download catch-up and other stuff.

Think how much data can flow back and forth now ....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have sky and if the phone line was disconnected I used to get a message every so often telling me. I THINK the software used to update by the telephone line.

However have gone to Freesat now, being a poor pensioner Wink

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I THINK the software used to update by the telephone line.
It was always updated by downloading an update from a satellite transponder. They had a modem in there and would dial back, make a connection with their servers, upload/download a modest amount of data.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:40 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was used for Sky to be able to ensure that your box was where it was meant to me - some pubs used to pay for peoples subscription, and then take the box and card into the pub - Sky Sports is charged a lot differently in pubs than at home - but also, people used to take multiroom boxes to caravans, holiday homes etc because for a tenner a month, you'd get everything that you had on the main box.

With the newer boxes that connect to the internet, the need / requirement for a phone line connection disappeared. The boxes now do "callbacks" through an internet connection. If you have neither, then sky threaten to charge you full price on the multiroom boxes if there isn't a callback for three consecutive attempts.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
It was used for Sky to be able to ensure that your box was where it was meant to me - some pubs used to pay for peoples subscription, and then take the box and card into the pub - Sky Sports is charged a lot differently in pubs than at home - but also, people used to take multiroom boxes to caravans, holiday homes etc because for a tenner a month, you'd get everything that you had on the main box.

With the newer boxes that connect to the internet, the need / requirement for a phone line connection disappeared. The boxes now do "callbacks" through an internet connection. If you have neither, then sky threaten to charge you full price on the multiroom boxes if there isn't a callback for three consecutive attempts.

https://d1iyvc6w63ago2.cloudfront.net/preview/width/534/1d7c5768f7db7898fbea/fraud-pint-glass-padded.png

eddypeck
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's an old box. We used to have one plugged into the phone line and had a separate wifi sender but when we got a new box the guy said it was all on the built in wifi now so didn't need the phone line.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:

https://d1iyvc6w63ago2.cloudfront.net/preview/width/534/1d7c5768f7db7898fbea/fraud-pint-glass-padded.png

Sky have people who go to sites to check that it is the proper feed coming through, and in one pub the people had drawn the pint logo on with tippex.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1