BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NEED SOME ADVICE - Potential fraudulent claim

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pedalist lady I know had a coming together with a poor sod at a junction a few weeks back. His fault entirely, he was on the wrong side of the road due to parked cars on his left, he looked at the junction, was partially blinded by sunlight (road goes uphill) and just plain didn't see bikeist coming down the road.
Her bike was broke though. Small scuff to pedal, broken SPD shoe, clout mark on rear triangle of the frame and the back wheel pringled.
She claimed for everything. Payout = £4200ish.

She bought the bike s/h for a bag'o'sand.

I don't support what she claimed for even though she was technically in the right. Reaming people who fess up to their failings is morally abhorrent. Put it right, yes, but don't take the piss.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:01 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

By contrast I've just waved off the wifes motor after some old geezer pulled out in front of her in a smidsy incident.

We're down 1 expensive and well sorted motor, lots of grief over raised insurance and other expenses we'll probably never get back.

Maybe we should've claimed for whiplash too, at least we wouldn't be out of pocket as we are.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I had a twat in a Merc try to do that to me on the A4 this morning. Middle lane nothing in front of him slammed on his breaks hard enough to activate his ABS. I managed to get round him without hitting him but I am 90% sure he was only doing it to try to get rear ended for a claim.

On the bike? This is what kinda scares me, if they're paying out for whiplash claims with bikes it makes us an easy(ish) target.

TbirdX wrote:
Maybe we should've claimed for whiplash too, at least we wouldn't be out of pocket as we are.

That's the annoying thing, it feels like if you have a genuine crash you're left out of pocket, and it's only the scammers that benefit from the whole system.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:22 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I'd settle for some common sense; motorcycle clipping a car isn't going to leave you with whiplash...

Can depend on the position/angle of the neck at time of impact, and whether she's braced. I'm not sticking up for anybody here, but there are a LOT of variables such as any previous injuries. Whilst this shouldn't necessarily prejudice the OP it makes little difference to AXA whether they write a cheque for £3000 or £5000.

A friend of mine was left with serious enough whiplash to cost him his job after his (stationary) bus was nudged by a Land Rover's trailer.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a car today plant on the anchors about 4 car lengths early at a traffic light in front of me today. Luckily, i was able to brake and swerve round to avoid it. When I went past there was a odd looking fella in the car and he just pulled away like nothing happened. I can only assume he was trying to get me to go into the back of him. Does this sort of thing happen often?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:39 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
I had a car today plant on the anchors about 4 car lengths early at a traffic light in front of me today when I was tailgating them. Luckily, i was able to brake and swerve round to avoid it. When I went past there was a odd looking fella in the car and he just pulled away like nothing happened. I can only assume he was trying to get me to go into the back of him. Does this sort of thing happen often?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:12 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
I had a car today plant on the anchors about 4 car lengths early at a traffic light in front of me today when I was tailgating them. Luckily, i was able to brake and swerve round to avoid it. When I went past there was a odd looking fella in the car and he just pulled away like nothing happened. I can only assume he was trying to get me to go into the back of him. Does this sort of thing happen often?

Yeah, thought people might think that lol. It was coming off junction 9 on the M27, two lanes coming up to the lights. He was ahead of me in the left lane, and I was in the right. He, without indicating cut into my lane, so, I started to brake to pull back, when he slammed them on. So i braked hard and swerved into left lane, when he proceeded to just pull away through the red lights. Bearing in mind this is all about 11pm at night with no-one else around, so no reason for his mental driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:57 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
A pedalist lady I know had a coming together with a poor sod at a junction a few weeks back. His fault entirely, he was on the wrong side of the road due to parked cars on his left, he looked at the junction, was partially blinded by sunlight (road goes uphill) and just plain didn't see bikeist coming down the road.
Her bike was broke though. Small scuff to pedal, broken SPD shoe, clout mark on rear triangle of the frame and the back wheel pringled.
She claimed for everything. Payout = £4200ish.

She bought the bike s/h for a bag'o'sand.

I don't support what she claimed for even though she was technically in the right. Reaming people who fess up to their failings is morally abhorrent. Put it right, yes, but don't take the piss.

You'd be surprised at how quickly the cost for this stuff can mount up though - like for like replacement has its merits and because she bought the bike for 1k doesn't mean she didn't buy it off someone cash strapped for a real low price. If it was say a 4 year old model, the modern day equivalent could easily be 3-4 times value. Added to that anyone who's spending a grand on a used push bike likely has aftermarket/upgraded stuff such as pedals, wheels and so on. Wheel set prices can make a motorcyclist's eyes water, as do tyres. Technical fabrics in a skin suit/lycra get-up can easily mount to £150+. Extras such as the pedals can easily be swapped from an old bike too. I merely commute to work on mine (no long club rides or triathlons or anything) and I bet me extras are easily similar value to the actual ride.

As for 'over-claiming' if you went for a slide down the road at someone else's say-so, would you tick every box possible?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:43 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
no reason for his mental driving.

I'll take "And he can't not have seen me as I had my light on full beam" in the sweepstake.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:47 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
so no reason for his mental driving.

Well, there is your mistake then Razz The reason for most truly mongish driving choices appears to start and end with "it seemed like a good idea at the time" closely followed by "I wanted to be in that space".

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:22 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

had something similar re: whiplash in the car. pulled up to my drive, no cars behind me so begin to reverse, still checking no cars, i am reversing from right side in so check right mirror and over right shoulder so i dont hit the side-wall,
next minute all i hear is a loud scratching noise down my left car side and a loud scream, an idiot woman had pulled right up next to my car whilst i was reversing in and i had managed to scrape the side of my car down the front of hers at around 5mph,
somehow she managed to claim £4k in whiplash from that and also won the case Rolling Eyes

Brendan110_0
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

Depends where you live, Rochdale near where I live is terrible for it. Many house extensions/new kitchens/exotic holidays are paid for this way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2