Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which retro/ cafe racer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

upnorth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:46 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Which retro/ cafe racer Reply with quote

Hi just browsing for now as I have yet to do my CBT.
But once that's done I'll be looking at getting a retro looking 125cc

So far I have found

Mutt Mongrel
Bullit Spirit
Hanway Cafe black

I agree they all look very similar, which is best ??

Also are there other make/models in this category that I've not found yet ??

Thanks in advance

Bald_Eagle1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honley HD3
Honley Classic
Sinnis Retrostar
Herald Classic

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who is into Chinese bikes can tell you what models these are based on and which is best but you are going to be paying a premium for the looks over the base bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 28 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald_Eagle1 wrote:
Sinnis Retrostar

Only one I might (have) possibly considered in a moment of weakness on a bad day. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/sinnis/trackstar-125/2010/

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:58 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinnis Cafe.

I had a VanVan 125, was deffo fun in its own way but a bit pricey.

Or get a older Jap 125.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJS Cadwell, AJS Tempest

https://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:43 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexmoto Valiant.

Tdibs wrote:
I had a VanVan 125, was deffo fun in its own way but a bit pricey.

To buy, not to own.

Drop close to £3K on a Wiff Waff Retro-Caff and see how much you get offered for it in 6 months.

OP, are you under 19? If not, then I'd urge you not to waste your time on a tiddler, but go straight to A2 or A training and tests. It makes so many more bikes available.

If you still want to get a 125 after you're licenced up, go for it, I actively enjoy low powered bikes. But nothing looks good with L plates on it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

+1 For the Cadwell, manufactured by Jianshe looks good, and engine based on that of the YBR125

The Bullit versions are the Pioneer/Shandong XF 125 R, Which makes it the same base bike as the Lexmoto Valiant

Shandong Pioneer XF125R

https://xfmotor.com.cn/product/product61_en.html

Is the Bullit Hunt

https://bullitmotorcycles.com/nl/model/15/Hunt-125

Which is also essentially the Lexmoto Valiant

https://www.lexmoto.co.uk/XF125R.php

And ..

Shandong Pioneer XF125R(D)

https://xfmotor.com.cn/product/product62_en.html

Is the Bullit Hunt S

https://bullitmotorcycles.com/nl/model/16/Hunt-S-125

And I think Hanway might make their own products, and again, appear to be really quite decent quality. I haven't looked too closely at 125's for a while now, may start looking again soonish, as something to take on the camper

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:47 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule of cafe racer motorcycle, you don't buy one, you build one by taking everything, that you do not need, off the bike. Thumbs Up

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best one would be a used example of any on your list that hasn't been used much, and has been taken care of, and where the seller is desperate for some pre-christmas cash and will let it go for not much money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a fad, will be worth sod all when the beardy urban woodsman set have a shave and find the next new
'cool' thing to tickle their nancy. Being a biker just because it's 'trendy' is shallow and naff.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
First rule of cafe racer motorcycle, you don't buy one, you build one by taking everything, that you do not need, off the bike. Thumbs Up

Nice Macho sentiment, maybe said to shock or assert male greatness etc.

But what do you honestly and seriously suggest for someone that's totally new to bikes, probably doesn't know how they work, very likely doesn't own many tools or have workshop and machine tool access, and maybe has no skills other than the most very basic routine maintenance?

Should said person not be allowed a cafe racer?
Also your post implies that virtually every home made/shed built bike will be an awesome and decent bike, that's good to ride, safe and works better than the Base bike?

On that basis every factory built cafe racer would have to be totally shit, and how does a manufacturer with huge budgets, resources, and testing ever hope to come close to what Daz knocked up in his garden shed?

Your logic would be a bit like saying, if you want a hot hatchback, you need to start with an old Base spec family car, and chop it around and add bits to make it a Focus ST destroyer?

It's like me saying I want a custom hand stitched leather and alcantara bike seat, with logos, shaped and textured surfaces and perfect detailing etc. And you telling me I have to learn how to upholster and stitch and trim fabric myself to achieve it.

Can you imagine how shit the result would be if I had a go, and spent £££'s on materials, tools and how to videos etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
But what do you honestly and seriously suggest for someone that's totally new to bikes

Not to get too hung up on style when it comes to a tiddler Smile, especially if you're prepared to spend thousands on a Chinese 125 because of the way it looks. I realise not everyone can create a bikeshed special (I certainly couldn't), but I'd rather get an old SR125 than pay a hipster premium for a bike which isn't really going to fool anyone.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
But what do you honestly and seriously suggest for someone that's totally new to bikes

Not to get too hung up on style when it comes to a tiddler Smile, especially if you're prepared to spend thousands on a Chinese 125 because of the way it looks. I realise not everyone can create a bikeshed special (I certainly couldn't), but I'd rather get an old SR125 than pay a hipster premium for a bike which isn't really going to fool anyone.

I get where stevo is coming from. Any bike is a fashion statement. If it wasn't, we would all be on mopeds or in small cars.

Why drop 15000 on a Ducati sports bike, it's only a fashion statement.

If you can afford to drop 3 grand on a chinky 125 and take the depreciation hit, fine. It isn't what I would do, but at his age I had an RD250, legally on L plates so who am I to judge.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Nice Macho sentiment, maybe said to shock or assert male greatness etc.

Thank you?
stevo as b4 wrote:
But what do you honestly and seriously suggest for someone that's totally new to bikes, probably doesn't know how they work, very likely doesn't own many tools or have workshop and machine tool access, and maybe has no skills other than the most very basic routine maintenance?

Now that is an interesting question. For a complete noob, I always say buy whatever catches your eye, preferably a 4 stroke (not that 2 strokes are any bad, but let's just say a 4 stroke is more user friendly). The first motorcycle is just like your first girlfriend, guitar, car... you do not quite know what to expect, what you actually prefer, what you seek, yet. So you buy what looks the best for you. That first machine will give you some ideas of what you want from a motorcycle, what you prefer.
*There's also the: never meet your heroes thing. But that mostly happens later in your life.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Should said person not be allowed a cafe racer?
Also your post implies that virtually every home made/shed built bike will be an awesome and decent bike, that's good to ride, safe and works better than the Base bike?

I've never said that and you do have a point about safety of modifying, and quite frankly, maintaining a motorized vehicle. That's why we have MOT, although it isn't really vehicle safety guarantee.

stevo as b4 wrote:
On that basis every factory built cafe racer would have to be totally shit, and how does a manufacturer with huge budgets, resources, and testing ever hope to come close to what Daz knocked up in his garden shed?

Manufacturers make ''cafe racers'' because it's cool to some people, just like they make choppers. I myself would love to have a Royal Enfiled GT, for instance.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Your logic would be a bit like saying, if you want a hot hatchback, you need to start with an old Base spec family car, and chop it around and add bits to make it a Focus ST destroyer?

I don't find cars fun, so not sure what to say, really. But I did want a 90's WSBK bike, knew I would never get the real deal, so I got a ZX7R P1 and that was good enough for me.

stevo as b4 wrote:
It's like me saying I want a custom hand stitched leather and alcantara bike seat, with logos, shaped and textured surfaces and perfect detailing etc. And you telling me I have to learn how to upholster and stitch and trim fabric myself to achieve it.

Yet again, an interesting point. The same way you could have someone else custom make you a cafe racer.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Can you imagine how shit the result would be if I had a go, and spent £££'s on materials, tools and how to videos etc.

I'm not saying every one should cut their frame, weld stuff on etc. You could start slow, take off the pillion foot pegs, fit lower handlebars, if you have 4-2 (2-2) make it 4-1 exhaust. There's no need to think big, when you have no idea what you're doing.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 22:43 - 29 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I still don't get the ''retro'' stuff people want these days. The real deal is much better than any ''retro'' wannabe. What do you pay for a brand new chinese ''retro'' bike, 1500-1700? That buys you an actuall retro machine, in a nice condition, that will hold it's value and might even go up a bit. On the other hand a brand new whatever motorcycle for 1500-1700 will be worth 1/2 of it in just a couple of years, and maybe months.

This doesn't go well for A1 licence holders, though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
M.C wrote:

I get where stevo is coming from. Any bike is a fashion statement. If it wasn't, we would all be on mopeds or in small cars.

Why drop 15000 on a Ducati sports bike, it's only a fashion statement.

If you can afford to drop 3 grand on a chinky 125 and take the depreciation hit, fine. It isn't what I would do, but at his age I had an RD250, legally on L plates so who am I to judge.

Maybe for women who buy a car cos it's cute etc. Smile The thing's a Ducati sports bike will be a more capable machine than say an SV or whatever bog standard bike you want to compare it to. Those hipster 125s are just a bog standard 10bhp bike, buy the YBR clone and save yourself some money for your tests, or pursuing women, or some exhaust wrap, or beard grooming products and a jaunty hat.

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:45 - 29 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Oh, and I still don't get the ''retro'' stuff people want these days. The real deal is much better than any ''retro'' wannabe. What do you pay for a brand new chinese ''retro'' bike, 1500-1700? That buys you an actuall retro machine, in a nice condition, that will hold it's value and might even go up a bit. On the other hand a brand new whatever motorcycle for 1500-1700 will be worth 1/2 of it in just a couple of years, and maybe months.

Deffo this, miles cooler and might actually be worth more if you dont chuck it down the road.

But then if you need a bike to get to places on and stuff you might need to know how to fix it....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:36 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru dat on the DIY aspect. Find the last of the Lexmoto Vixens / HN125-8s, pay sweetie money for it, hit it with a rattle can to cover the branding, take a few bits off and add about £20 in parts =

https://i47.tinypic.com/28asu2d.jpg

Nothing irreversible there. Yes, I know it needs a fork brace. The rear subframe would be the next thing to go if you were determined to lower its value.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tru dat on the DIY aspect. Find the last of the Lexmoto Vixens / HN125-8s, pay sweetie money for it, hit it with a rattle can to cover the branding, take a few bits off and add about £20 in parts =

Nothing irreversible there. Yes, I know it needs a fork brace. The rear subframe would be the next thing to go if you were determined to lower its value.

did you have a beard and checked shirt Laughing Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR custom init. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:19 - 30 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

did you have a beard and checked shirt Laughing Laughing

I've had a beard since I was about 7. But that picture was 2010, so I think it was pre peak-hipster. I mostly just wanted to take bits off. The exhaust wrap was hiding my shoddy welds where I'd chopped the cats out. The bars are a piece of straight aluminium tube I found in the garage.

The point is that you can hipsterise cafe-track-bob most bikes, and then you'll actually have something that you did yourself, rather than a "custom" bike churned out of a Chinese sweatshop.
bertaluk This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaluk wrote:
haham guys Hike. I want to ask, what pint to use to change color of my bike? I have old bintage city bike keller

Are you pissed? Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaluk wrote:
haham guys Hike. I want to ask, what pint to use to change color of my bike? I have old bintage city bike keller

Oh FFS. Brick Wall
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2