Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can't align brakes on a Raleigh Winner vintage road bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:20 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Can't align brakes on a Raleigh Winner vintage road bike Reply with quote

Purchased a Raleigh Winner road bike today for £50 Very Happy

I've removed the mud guards, but because I'm absolutely useless I can't seem to align the front caliper now.

https://i67.tinypic.com/2cz1uzq.jpg

As you can see they are not aligned at all.

https://i67.tinypic.com/2ykanbd.jpg

I've loosened the caliper bolt, centered the caliper by hand, tightened the bolt back up, but the right pad still falls back too close to the rim.

Any ideas?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:28 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Can't align brakes on a Raleigh Winner vintage road bike Reply with quote

apple tango wrote:

I've loosened the caliper bolt, centered the caliper by hand, tightened the bolt back up, but the right pad still falls back too close to the rim.

Any ideas?

Do it again, but properly this time. Loosen the bolt a little bit (so it can be moved but isn't loose), centre it then tighten the bolt. In fairness, you could probably do it without loosening the bolt. I'd be tempted to get hold if it and heave it round until it's square.

Alternatively, undo the bolt. Loosen the cable clamp. Slide the calliper off the forks. Take a photo of it. Put it on ebay using the keywords "Vintage" and "retro". While you're on there, buy a double acting calliper and fit that, but replace the standard pads immediately with clarks triple compound ones.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:59 - 01 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also. Why did you remove the mudguards? It's October, you're gonna get wet.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the old "Weinmann No Stops". I had to have my eyebrow stitched back on to my head because these 'brakes' seem to rely on wishes to stop rather than creating any friction whatsoever.

You're absolutely mad if you don't take Mr Wheel's advice above. You will need brakes one day and these are not to be confused with such a device.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:30 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bargain for you. Just check the drop height:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BRTER340/tektro-r340-caliper-brakeset

And replace the pads they come with which are shit. Another bargain:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BSCLBRP/clarks-road-brake-pads

Although these are my favourite pads:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-CPS240-ELITE-Multi-Compound-Road-Bike-Brake-Blocks-Pads-4-Shimano-Sram/121961629031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, those brakes on steel rims. Many happy memories of coming down hills in the rain, brakes on full and dragging my feet, hoping desperately to stop before the junction at the bottom. Suicide levers don't help either!

I always liked the paint scheme on the winner, second only to the Panasonic colours.

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:15 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Can't align brakes on a Raleigh Winner vintage road bike Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Alternatively, undo the bolt. Loosen the cable clamp. Slide the calliper off the forks. Take a photo of it. Put it on ebay using the keywords "Vintage" and "retro". While you're on there, buy a double acting calliper and fit that, but replace the standard pads immediately with clarks triple compound ones.

I'll probably go down this route, cheers.

stinkwheel wrote:

Also. Why did you remove the mudguards? It's October, you're gonna get wet.

I didn't like the look of them and they were a bit rickety. I'll be popping some other ones on there.

bamt wrote:

Ah yes, those brakes on steel rims. Many happy memories of coming down hills in the rain, brakes on full and dragging my feet, hoping desperately to stop before the junction at the bottom. Suicide levers don't help either!

I have a loooong steep hill which I occasionally come down. I am now shitting myself. Should be interesting.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the hex inside the black plastic bit at the front of the caliper? There is an allen key like tool that you use to turn that to centre the caliper, you can also use a small, very small socket.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 02 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
See the hex inside the black plastic bit at the front of the caliper? There is an allen key like tool that you use to turn that to centre the caliper, you can also use a small, very small socket. Which will occupy far too much of your time, which would be much better spent enjoying life and the ability to stop after you buy a complete different brake caliper with at least some hope of working.

You seemed to miss a bit off the end, there, Mr Pup. Fixed.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:48 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Stinkwheel said.

I've refurbed 3 'vintage' road bikes all had those Weinmann Brakes . The first I put the expensive Shimano long drop ones (R451s?) at £25 each. Brakes well

The Second I was on a budget so the Weinmann brakes stayed.

The Third I bought the cheapo Ebay dual pivot log drops for ~£10 ea, I then put Shimano Pads in them ~£5 each. It brakes better than the expensive ones (although the Rims on this bike are far better)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1