View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much was that?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

>100k The bargain price was enough to get me looking in the area for another for my portfolio. I expect I'll be
completing on mine in the next couple of weeks. The house I'm buying was on for 110k and I'm paying 10k under asking.
Already thinking of bagging another in the area once I have this next one tenanted.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Got the keys to my first house today. Reply with quote

Well done dude Thumbs Up

Copycat73 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/HsnXz01l.jpg

ah look ..... you can sh1t and puke at the same time ..

what more could you want Dance!

I find the ratio of space to amenities in this pic deeply unsettling Shocked

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:22 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can shit in sink and do washing up in the bath at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top work Smiler, can't wait to see what you do to the place.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
can't wait to see what you do to the place.

If the grape vine is to be belived... then,
https://i.imgur.com/5DCREEN.png

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great house Smiler. Congratulations.

Xx

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Smiler, dead pleased for you.

Get a rosemary bush* at the end of that garden border, then every time you run over it on your way in and out of the garage, it will make your tyres smell nice.

Plus, its helpful for roast lamb Sunday dinners for your overnight BBQ guests.

*I can provide a branch or twenty if you want.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies on the late reply it's been intresting so far doing the removal and fixing a few pieces. Still haven't ordered or purchased any large piecs of furniture. Regardin the garden it's for my own piece of mind just needs cutting. Very simple just can't get the tools yet.

Saying that anyone able to recommend a good petrol hedge strimmer under £100 ?

Got to wait on a plumber to come out and sort out a sink and toilet (later on today). I'd do it myself but don't want to break anything.

Regarding th bathroom the corner bath will be removed at some point possibly. Which I'll replace with a cubicle shower unit.

hellkat wrote:
Nice one Smiler, dead pleased for you.

Get a rosemary bush* at the end of that garden border, then every time you run over it on your way in and out of the garage, it will make your tyres smell nice.

Plus, its helpful for roast lamb Sunday dinners for your overnight BBQ guests.

*I can provide a branch or twenty if you want.

That's a very good idea and I'd love to take you up on that offer if serious. My brother used to have a big lavender so every time I went out it would rub all over my jacket.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Saying that anyone able to recommend a good petrol hedge strimmer under £100 ?

I did a renovation on a block of low rise flats a while back, their gardener was rubbish and had allowed the leylandi hedges
around the place to get really really overgrown so I also put that right before going to market with the flat I owned in the
block. It was a big job and I bought one of these to do it as I have a 14ft hedge along the back of my garden as well
which was too much for my old hedge trimmer. Electric obviously but 600watts and capable of cutting a >25mm shoots
no problem and tears through thinner stuff. It's quite long too so you can do more with less which is good because it's
quite heavy. Did the job with it no sweat and it's still going strong and in regular use now 2 years later. Well worth the price.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/qualcast-hedge-trimmer-600w_p245419

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:30 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one.

with a garage as well...
super nice.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:04 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garage > working toilet.

Waffle stomping?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Of course I'm serious Laughing

I was actually gonna suggest lavender as well, but I thought it might be considered a bit old-ladyish - but its a perfect choice. I always squidge lavender between my fingers when I see it, and rosemary as well. Can't resist scented things!

You could run a whole border of lavender plants at low level, a rosemary bush at either end, couple of rose bushes, a little bay tree (expensive! but might be cheaper BEFORE the main run-up to Christmas) or some daphne, and you've a nice easy-care year-round scented area, with the added advantage of rosemary and bay both being useful in the kitchen. Cool Thumbs Up

I am happy to provide the branches of rosemary, as I have a HUGE tree of it in my back garden. Shall I bring it to the house-swarming? Laughing Or I can bring some down (?up) any time, if you just want to get it into the ground to get it started. Chances are if you just stick freshly torn branches into a pot of soil, they will grow. I'm sure that's what I did to achieve the one I have now.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done fella Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:40 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I am happy to provide the branches of rosemary, as I have a HUGE tree of it in my back garden. Shall I bring it to the house-swarming? Laughing Or I can bring some down (?up) any time, if you just want to get it into the ground to get it started. Chances are if you just stick freshly torn branches into a pot of soil, they will grow. I'm sure that's what I did to achieve the one I have now.

Probably work better in the spring though, it'll have pretty much stopped growing by now.

The ideal way is to cut it back a bit and wait for new shoots to come up, then take the cuttings off those and stick them into sharp sand to root.

Regarding the hedge trimmer. To be fair, I'd suggest you just get a bow saw and cut the leylandii down. I hate leylandii with a passion. They'll take over your garden. It was the very first thing I did when I moved into my house. The previous owner has planted 15 of the fuckers in the front garden of a terraced council house.

There is fencing there behind them anyway so they are serving no useful purpose. The garden will feel a lot bigger without them. Replace them with something nicer/more useful. Like fruit trees (lidls do bare-rooted ones early spring for next to nothing).

Or if you want a hedge there, there are WAY nicer things to make one out of.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Got to wait on a plumber to come out and sort out a sink and toilet (later on today). I'd do it myself but don't want to break anything.

Regarding th bathroom the corner bath will be removed at some point possibly. Which I'll replace with a cubicle shower unit.

Just get stuck in but with care, haven't you gotten at least one bike back on the road after an off? as long as you're not faffing with gas or electrics then houses are fairly simple provided you're not trying to put a doorway in or remove a structural wall.

hellkat wrote:

spot of rooting powder to help them along and keep them warm-ish I presume? Gran was the family gardener not me

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not very green fingered, but its always seemed that just tearing branches off rosemary bushes and planting them directly out into the ground has worked, maybe I just got lucky with when I was doing it.

I've had less success planting it in pots, it seems to like its roots free to grow madly. I think that once its established, keeping it in pots tends to keep it smaller.

I've got some rooting powder and some spare pots of soil, and have got a hot date with a guy to clear my garden wilderness next weekend, so I will have space out there to experiment with some rosemary cuttings and see what happens.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I hate leylandii with a passion. They'll take over your garden.

https://www.mygardeningnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Kill-Leylandii.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:49 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Yeah, I'm not very green fingered, but its always seemed that just tearing branches off rosemary bushes and planting them directly out into the ground has worked, maybe I just got lucky with when I was doing it.

I've had less success planting it in pots, it seems to like its roots free to grow madly. I think that once its established, keeping it in pots tends to keep it smaller.

I've got some rooting powder and some spare pots of soil, and have got a hot date with a guy to clear my garden wilderness next weekend, so I will have space out there to experiment with some rosemary cuttings and see what happens.

Shoving it in the soil will work a lot of the time.

As I say though, this isn't the ideal time of year because the plants are shutting down and growth has reduced.

If you're putting woody cuttings like rosemary/lavender etc into pots, you want a very gritty/sandy soil, or pure sand initially. It scratches up the growing layer and stimulates it to produce roots. You're probably achieving the same effect when you tear the pieces off.

You can also "layer" it by pegging a section of branch down under the soil. That section should root over the next couple of weeks then you can cut it off the main plant.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sam and congratulations!

If you get a decent set of long handled loppers, that hedge shouldn't be a problem.
If you don't like or need them I'd be tempted to cut them down to ground level and be done with it!

Whatever you do don't let them get out of hand, we've just had to have 20m of overgrown Leylandii removed from the house we moved into.
I started to do it myself but the bulk of material I would have had to remove to the tip was just too much. Got a tree surgeon in who removed it, plus a tree and chipped the lot on site and took it away!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:22 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
To be fair, I'd suggest you just get a bow saw and cut the leylandii down. I hate leylandii with a passion.

A Tirfor winch would be much better because it will pull the stump out as well. Obviously, you may have to cut them back to 8-10 feet high first....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:43 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

A Tirfor winch would be much better because it will pull the stump out as well. Obviously, you may have to cut them back to 8-10 feet high first....

I cut mine off about 10" off the ground, waited for them to die off a bit then pulled the roots out with my 4x4. Full redneck.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of tirfor winches they are great for causing mayhem. I dragged a 1.5ton lathe up the alleyway and struggled to find something solid to anchor the winch to. I jammed a steel bar across the alley between the wall and a gate post, winched until the post cracked then moved up a couple of plots to a new post. None of the neighbours' gates swing anymore Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3