Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

reporting a neighbors dog being locked in

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: reporting a neighbors dog being locked in Reply with quote

they have not long moved in and I don't know them and have never spoken to them
but a few weeks ago they got one of those husky type dogs (I'd say about a year old not a pup)
but they leave it locked in most days and it howl's constantly
Tonight at 9:30 its still howling away

they are 2 doors down and between us is a 70 year old guy on palliative care and terminal
luckily he's half deaf

I could approach them and have a word but if they tell me to do one then I report them they know who it was

as an Animal lover and having owned numerous dogs and could never treat an animal like that

had to do this years ago and called the RSPCA to a dog chained up out the back every day for 9 hrs with no shelter
they had the dog removed and re homed

thoughts ??

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approach and have a word first and if they spaz then report them anyway, who cares if they know it was you?
It wouldn't stop me from picking up the phone. I can't stand people who don't look after their pets properly. Mad

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Approach and have a word first and if they spaz then report them anyway, who cares if they know it was you?
It wouldn't stop me from picking up the phone. I can't stand people who don't look after their pets properly. Mad

I'd rather not get into a feud as I don't need any unwanted attention at my house
they seem to have other issues as the mother and daughter often having screaming matches in the garden
or she is giving the boyfriend an ear full

I have more to loose than a dog
I'm also in the process of sourcing another pup and I'm in contact with a few breeders looking at the parents of upcoming litters
with the criteria of a long haired large German shepherd sable or black and tan

my last dog Crying or Very sad

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just phone rspca if you dont want to confront them, don't expect them to do anything though.
we had a similar issue with an old neighbour, dog was allowed to stay with them even though they starved 2 wee poor cats that lived in the garden fucking shed, one of which to death Evil or Very Mad they had snakes, hamsters and christ knows what else in the house.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

they finally got home just before 10
but if they do the same again tomorrow RSPCA are getting a call

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also report them to the local council, something to do with noise pollution and some environmental health thing.

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just phone RSPCA because the husky these days seems to be the trend for hard man dog the last few years.
Was staff and pitbull,Akitas cost to much.

Also German Shepard seems to be the worst breed dog these days with the back legs fecked up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy Blake wrote:
I would just phone RSPCA because the husky these days seems to be the trend for hard man dog the last few years.
Was staff and pitbull,Akitas cost to much.

Maybe lots of people liked Due South? Smile

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/94/Due_south_cast_photo.jpg/220px-Due_south_cast_photo.jpg

Paddy Blake wrote:
Also German Shepard seems to be the worst breed dog these days with the back legs fecked up.

Inbreeding from supposed animal lovers Neutral

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woman I used to work with had a husky. She walked it for an hour before work and an hour after. Her husband was a chef/cook or something so tended to be at home during the day messing about with old scooters.
Apparently they are very energetic dogs so need a ridiculous amount of exercise. They're also pack animals so don't like being on their own more so than other breeds. She also had to watch for smaller dogs when walking it as it would try and kill the little yappy ones.

They look lovely, but sound like a nightmare pet!
It does sound like they've bought the wrong dog.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

have the husky instead of the gsd

also see how they like the howling all the time Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:47 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husky is probably the single most "rehomed within a year, what the fuck was I thinking?" breed of dog I see.

It's probably trashing their house at the same time as it's barking so someone offering to take it away will probably be a relief.

As an owner, you can do something about barking etc. but it takes time and effort.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Husky is probably the single most "rehomed within a year, what the fuck was I thinking?" breed of dog I see.

It's probably trashing their house at the same time as it's barking so someone offering to take it away will probably be a relief.

As an owner, you can do something about barking etc. but it takes time and effort.

Yes, agree. I have been looking at dogs homes for a new mutt and now i seems to be staffies and Husky types, rather than just staffies as it was the last time I was looking.

I'm an experienced dog owner but I wouldn't take on a Husky, too much energy and hyper, not to say difficult to train. Where have all the old heinz 57's gone? Crying or Very sad

Mr Pink, just dob them in to the RSPCA. Even if nothing is done it will be on their register. Then you just get someone else to do the same and the wheels will grind into motion. Thumbs Up

Oh, and German Shepherds are the bestest dog in the whole wide world Thumbs Up

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bought one of these sonic devices to use on next door's barky dogs. It was about £12.

https://img.grouponcdn.com/stores/cGfFyxnNsZMjjrXTLBtK6z/storespi141740-1040x640/v1/c700x420.jpg

It works, they stop as soon as they hear it. I know that it's not entirely relevant to your situation but now, they only have to see me through the fence and they shut up before I use it on them because they think it is me making their ears feel funny.

Can't help you resolve the report or not dilemma but maybe a few shots of one of these in its direction will shut it up.

Last edited by Tracey Suntan-King on 09:13 - 05 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just bought a collar that works in a similar way for our dog, she's very protective of her home and grounds.
I have builders in which she isn't best pleased about and which she was demonstrating by barking her head off at them.
The collar seems to work quite well, she barks the once then it beeps and she stops with a wtf was that look on her face.
If she persists then it vibrates as well apparently but so far she hasn't gone on barking that long, one woof - then beep - then quiet. Thumbs Up

UPDATE-
The doorbell just went, Amazon delivery. She never barked, not even the once. Shocked Shocked Shocked She always barks at the doorbell. Amazing Clapping
I should add that this is day one of proper use of this collar, I only tried it out yesterday as the builders weren't here all day.

Last edited by grr666 on 11:36 - 04 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting factoid.

Feeding a barking dog it's entire daily food ration in treat balls and chew toys throughout the day reduces the number of barks by 90%.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:57 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a very old Alsation (12-13 years).
and we take him for a long slow walk most days...
he doesn't travel fast at all.
He also doesn't really like other dogs so much and will get a bit shouty when he sees them.

We are always concerned with a chap up the road who walks his two husky's without leads. They are lovely looking things and don't seem to be an issues. i just don't like the fact he dosn't have them on leads.

one of will always check to make sure he isnt in the road with with dogs before we go out.

is it really acceptable to have these large dogs roaming free ?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
We've just bought a collar that works in a similar way for our dog, she's very protective of her home and grounds.
I have builders in which she isn't best pleased about and which she was demonstrating by barking her head off at them.
The collar seems to work quite well, she barks the once then it beeps and she stops with a wtf was that look on her face.
If she persists then it vibrates as well apparently but so far she hasn't gone on barking that long, one woof - then beep - then quiet. Thumbs Up

UPDATE-
The doorbell just went, Amazon delivery. She never barked, not even the once. Shocked Shocked Shocked She always barks at the doorbell. Amazing Clapping
I should add that this is day one of proper use of this collar, I only tried it out yesterday as the builders weren't here all day.

Yes, that's pretty spectacular results but do you want her to not bark at the door bell? I used to want mine to do it so people knew a big dog was present.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that bothered to be honest, I've lived here 6 years and only had a dog since this January. She can usually be spotted
standing on my kitchen window sill if theres someone out front so it's still pretty obvious there's a big dog here.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

is it really acceptable to have these large dogs roaming free ?

No. That's what you get a cat for.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:00 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/ydB5Rp8.jpg

True story.

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:55 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Where have all the old heinz 57's gone? Crying or Very sad

They still exist, just someone invented stupid names for them and slapped huge price tags on them.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapolsky wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Where have all the old heinz 57's gone? Crying or Very sad

They still exist, just someone invented stupid names for them and slapped huge price tags on them.

Like cockerpoo and labradoodle

Apparently we have a patterjack

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

It works, they stop as soon as they hear it. I know those is not entirely relevant to your situation but now, they only have to see me through the fence and they shut up before I use it on them because they think it is me making their ears feel funny.

Want / Need. Ebay jobby?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Want / Need. Ebay jobby?

here

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Apparently we have a patterjack

In that case mines a Dober-aner or a Weimer-man Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2