Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shit tools are shit.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 22:26 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Shit tools are shit. Reply with quote

Normal I try to buy relatively decent tools. I like upper mid range brands, as I feel you get 90% of the quality for 60% of the price of the top gear. E.g. Teng Sockets, Estwing Hammers, CK pliers, Dewalt/Bosch power tools etc.

The only time I scrimp is if I can't afford the decent version or I won't be using it often at all.

With that in mind I needed a biscuit cutter, I'm building fitted storage for my bike gear and to cover my fuse board.

I had a look and was surprised how expensive they are. It's an angle grinder with a guide set up. Bearing in mind you can get an angle grinder for £20 new I expected to be able to get a cheap one for ~£30 a reasonable one for £50.

The cheapest I could find was a Silverline one for £52 so I bought it. I'm rarely likely to use it so no point buying a £200 Dewalt. It's totally not fit for purpose out of the box the guide is loose meaning you can't set the angle of the fence solidly I fixed this with a couple of washers. I start making some test joins and notice a slight issue.

https://i.imgur.com/q2OLf8d_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

That was the best I could do, the fence and the cutting blade are not parallel I had the whole thing apart there is no adjustment nothing that can be done to alter it enough to get it remotely parallel. The cut on the right was as close as I could come. (Pretty solid housing joint next to them though)😎 .

I always thought Silverline were 'OK' cheap and not great quality but at least able to do the job!

I'm going for an Erbauer one from Screwfix tomorrow hopefully it will be semi decent!

TL:DR, Silverline Biscuit Jointer is totally shit.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it's consistent, so spin your mirror image piece upside down before you cut it - right side up, the slots will match.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a silverline impact driver as I couldn't find mine, needed one in a hurry and that was the only one available. It lasted 3 hits. Utter shite.

Then again, I bought a silverline pack of 3 tungsten tipped circular saw blades that were cheap as chips and are still going strong.

Pot luck for quality it seems.

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:45 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I bought a silverline impact driver as I couldn't find mine, needed one in a hurry and that was the only one available. It lasted 3 hits. Utter shite.

Then again, I bought a silverline pack of 3 tungsten tipped circular saw blades that were cheap as chips and are still going strong.

Pot luck for quality it seems.

Funny you should say that I bought a Silverline router bit, the only other one I could find was a Trend one and cost £25, The SL one was ~£3.50 it cut the groove for that housing joint and didn't rip the shit out of the laminate like most of the other cutting tools I'd been using. So maybe anything with a plug is shite but the rest is ok!

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:46 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
At least it's consistent, so spin your mirror image piece upside down before you cut it - right side up, the slots will match.

No good for the corner joints I need to make it'll be far too inaccurate.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hire one.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Shit tools are shit. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Erbauer

Bit meh in my experience.

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:39 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Hire one.

I looked at that, £35 a day.

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:41 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Shit tools are shit. Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Erbauer

As long as it functions and can cut a square joint I'll be happy.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what your design is like so I don't know if it's a valid suggestion, but would pocket hole screws work instead of biscuit joints?
I have a kregg jig (do not bother with the silverline one) and kregg clamp and it is very easy to use. You also won't need large clamps to hold it all together while the glue goes off.

I was going to suggest a lamello biscuit jointer (I have an old one that was my dad's) but then I googled the current prices Shocked .

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Shit tools are shit. Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Erbauer

we use the bench saws at work

they break lots but all come with a warrenty so we can have a new one every six months or so Laughing

seems to be the switches that go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biscuit joints have no real strength. They're useful for aligning boards for glue up, that's about it. You could use dowels for that and you only need a drill and some dowel pins to get consistent results - or you could splash out on a dowelmax if you were doing more of this.

Alternatively, if you build it properly, you could use pocket holes. Just bear in mind they have no shear strength and build accordingly. I'd build the frame then attach the board to that. If you want to get a bit fancy, route out a rabbet on the styles and rails so that your board is flush with those styles and rails. Then your exposed board edges will be hidden and protected from damage.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Biscuit joints have no real strength.

That's totally untrue. Biscuits have a fair surface area inside the board and provide very good "pull apart" strength. It really depends on the position within the construction but lots of people would argue that a biscuit is a least as strong as a dowel.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points...

Silverline tools are generally epic shite. Anything with a plug is a liability, anything without a plug is best thought of as an unfinished kit of parts that you might be able to rebuild.

Biscuit joints... Strength is entirely dependent on grain direction. If the biscuit grain is aligned with the joint line then it's only any good for alignment while the glue goes off, then it's the glue that provides the strength - biscuits themselves are generally very weak. If the grain is perpendicular to the joint line then it's effectively the same as a dowel (material native strength notwithstanding). Even a dowel is just a slightly stronger alignment system though, it's the glue (or screw fixings) that does the work. Surface area inside the rebate makes 2 parts of piss all difference if it'll split next to that with fingernail pressure.

Pocket holes... I'd rather have an iPhone than use pocket holes. Nothing screams "I'M A SPASTIC BODGER"!!1!" more than using pocket holes in a structural application.

I use a biscuit blade on my router for slotting - it takes longer than dedicated biscuit jointer, but for the amount I do I'm probably 'wasting' about 17 minutes over my lifetime.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
lots of people would argue that a biscuit is a least as strong as a dowel.

Laughing Thy might, that doesn't make them right though. If you have to go that route use a domino not a biscuit.

Even if I agreed with you* a decent biscuit jointer is, as evidenced by this thread, going to cost a lot. Fitting dowels requires no expensive tools at all. So again, if I agreed with you* , you've just said that they are comparable. The answer then is it's obvious. Don't spend silly money, use the dowels.

pdg wrote:
Nothing screams "I'M A SPASTIC BODGER"!!1!" more than using pocket holes in a structural application.

I suspect you don't know how to use them.

*I don't.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biscuit joints hold the frame and treads of my 'Stookcase' together.

https://i.imgur.com/pVSjL7w_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I'm fairly sure they are strong enough for this unit which will be holding a lot less.

The unit is fitted into a niche so screws are out. I have found Biscuits stronger and more accurate than dowels.

I have the Erbauer unit and it seems far better quality than the silverline. It doesn't feel cheap at all.

merquis00
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverline (as said) are hit-and-miss.

I have a silverline bench grinder, heat gun and small bandsaw that never miss a beat.. Thumbs Up

...but iv also had silverline spanner's that have snapped just looking at a nut, a soldiering iron that exploded and a belt sander that somehow made pallet wood rougher. Shocked

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you make a second fence for the cutter? You could shim it with paper / plastic until it's level or make it slightly tapered to counter the misallignment?
Or even just shim the existing fence with a couple of layers of selotape on one side?

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

pdg wrote:
Nothing screams "I'M A SPASTIC BODGER"!!1!" more than using pocket holes in a structural application.

I suspect you don't know how to use them.

I know exactly how to use them - along with chipboard as a sign of quality construction.

If I'm shopping for a bit of furniture those are first two things to look for - if either are present then do a Dionne Warwick and Walk On By...

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

merquis00 wrote:
silverline spanner's that have snapped just looking at a nut,

A silverline spanner's what ?

merquis00 wrote:
a soldiering iron that exploded

Well, soldiers do make things explode - it's in the job description.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Silverline kit I have is a battery tester, seems okay.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:

If I'm shopping for a bit of furniture those are first two things to look for - if either are present then do a Dionne Warwick and Walk On By...

Who makes furniture for sale with pocket screws? They're good for workshop stuff or knocking up a quick carcass.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Who makes furniture for sale with pocket screws? They're good for workshop stuff or knocking up a quick carcass.

More and more places use them - quick and cheap and once it's out the door they don't care (I've never heard of warranty being honoured on furniture).

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Shit tools are shit. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I had a look and was surprised how expensive they are. It's an angle grinder with a guide set up.

yeah its not though is it. An angle grinder it doesn't matter if the disc isn't aligned, a biscuit jointer it does so big difference in manufacturing cost.

Its a bit like those tool cabinets, just because you don't understand why something is expensive doesn't make it overpriced.

As to Silverline they are cheap chinese rebadged tools, what did you expect?

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got myself an Erbauer for building my kitchen cabinets ... 12 cabinets for £84 Smile

Lower joints done by cutting a slot into sides and fitting lower horizontal piece into that with glue (Titebond III) ... top surface done with biscuits and glue ... perfect Thumbs Up

All the best ... Barry
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2