Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where's good to buy boots from online?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Where's good to buy boots from online? Reply with quote

For the past few years I've ordered from Sportsbikeshop and been happy with the service, especially the number of Richa waterproof boots I've had replaced under warranty due to leaking (3 pairs in 5 years) got to love a 365 day returns policy!

Just sent a new pair back and struggling to find alternatives as they never seem to have stock of waterproof boots in my budget and size in stock.

Heard bad things about Buster's in terms of replacement / refunds when returning items under warranty, but that's from internet reviews

Anyone got personal experience of online retailers?

Been sticking with brands I've actually heard of such as Spada, Richa etc rather than things such as Dojo, Trik Moto, Duchinni etc

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Why not get some you won't have to return like a set of altbergs?

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to stick to people's reviews and word of mouth.

Find a pair of boots I like, research the item, try and find somewhere to try it on. Then Google for the cheapest stockist.

Best pair of boots I have now are Forma Adventures, although the price has sky rocketed! Bought from M&P when they did that amazing 40% off event so got for £115.

I use them for everything, greenlaning, European tours, walking around town. Comfy and waterproof!

What's your budget and style? Or what do you need them for?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:

What's your budget and style? Or what do you need them for?

budget, I've spent £70, can add a little but need to stay under £100

Commuting all year round so need to be warm and waterproof

need to be tall-ish to stop a draft round my leg / my trousers coming above them when on the bike (previous boots are 12 inch / 30cm tall)

drkbishop
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on Ebay, I manged to get a pair of these last year, which were practiclly brand new for about 80 quid.

And been brilliant, dry and warm feet all year round

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/26095

If they do fall apart one day, would be happy spending full price on them to be honest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are busters still going for kit? I think j and s had a deal on rst waterproof ones.
Or wait a bit for usual NEC show sale to start.

Moo, are they the adventure low boots? What are the size/fitment like?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used FC Moto and Motocard numerous times with success. Motocard recently had a big Dainese clearout sale (which hurt my wallet) I picked up some new Dainese Goretex boots reduced from £250 to £140 to have in as spares.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drkbishop wrote:
Keep an eye on Ebay, I manged to get a pair of these last year, which were practiclly brand new for about 80 quid.

And been brilliant, dry and warm feet all year round

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/26095

If they do fall apart one day, would be happy spending full price on them to be honest

The fact I've returned at least three pairs of boots for leaking made me a bit worried about buying on ebay as, if they don't fit or start to leak sportsbikeshop are simple to return and exchange

I also could do with getting them fairly quickly as my current boots which were waterproof have started leaking badly.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:43 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altbergs Thumbs Up

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:

Yawn.

If you want guaranteed waterproofness and I don't mean until the nikwax wears off. Buy Gore-tex.

Alpinestar web gore-tex boots extremely comfortable and hard wearing and so would be my suggestion.

I'm sure they are, but they're well outside my price range unless I can score some old stock on ebay.

I do clean and apply dubbing to my boots (always had leather ones) to help them along, got three years out of the last pair, once I'd got a pair that didn't let water in instantly.

Boots that got sent back yesterday I'd only had a week,

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:26 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterproof socks have come a long way recently. I'm rocking calf-length merino lined sealskinz in non-waterproof boots.

It's like wearing wellies in terms of waterproofness.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Waterproof socks have come a long way recently. I'm rocking calf-length merino lined sealskinz in non-waterproof boots.

It's like wearing wellies in terms of waterproofness.

Also a bit like wearing wellies in terms of clammy feeling in my experience Smile

I use them for cycling; I've found that on very long, very wet rides it's hard to keep water out of shoes or boots that you can cycle in, so it's better to avoid goretex shoes (which end up like paddling pools due to the big hole in the top where your foot goes) and use long socks instead. Then when the rain stops, the shoe dries out reasonably quickly.

It's interesting to see that one of the British Army boot systems now uses non-waterproof Altbergs with Sealskinz socks too, rather than a goretex liner.

The socks aren't too cheap though - normal price is £25-£30 a pair (obviously you can sometimes get them on offer), so a couple of pairs of those goes a long way towards some better boots. Can be useful if worn to extend the life of leaky, but otherwise good, boots in very bad weather.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:42 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

Also a bit like wearing wellies in terms of clammy feeling in my experience Smile

The merino lining goes a long way. I'd used sealskinz previously a few years back and it was like wearing plastic bags on your feet. These are a different ball game.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some of the merino ones too. I still tend to wear an additional liner under them (in sub-zero winter cycling that would be another pair of merino socks), but I agree that they are better than the normal ones.

I also don't think I've ever had wet feet wearing sealskinz even in the most appalling weather - as long as layers are correct to stop water running down into them - it just sometimes feels like it!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1