BCF: Bike Chat Forums

P'M's speech at conference.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:44 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what were the high points of the content for you?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking News!

The real reason for Theresa's shambles is revealed.

oo-er

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I wanted to know the truth behind the headlines so I just listened to the whole speech and I thought it was pretty good

You're talking about the content, right, not the presentation?

I read the transcript and it's just more rewarming the same mouldy pizza topped with the blandest chunks of tofu and copious quantities of cheese.

I don't follow these political jamborees but I would expect the speech was standard fare. I just wonder what motivates the media and many in her own party to demand more than that from May, and to seize on any excuse to knock her down, even a coughing fit; hardly a sign of political weakness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Someone who's spent most of his adult life as a student, denies double voting non shocker

Oh yeah, it must be sheer co-incidence that the only Labour seat in Kent was gained in Canterbury. Nothing to do with student votes, oh no.
Oh, look, Cambridge fell to Labour too, plus many other University towns.

So, should they vote in their University term time constituency or their home constituency? What stops them voting in both?

Still not exactly white British though?

And if they did vote twice, do you realise that many students living on campus generally do it because they're a long way from home, and therefore the fall of the university town doesn't mean jack shit?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:11 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I don't follow these political jamborees but I would expect the speech was [...]

I'll wait while you read it, then we can discuss it like informed adults.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I just wonder what motivates the media and many in her own party to demand more than that from May

Because she's (not) leading the country during the most critical period in a generation.

Wibblewords and muddling along aren't good enough.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I don't follow these political jamborees but I would expect the speech was standard fare.

I'll wait while you read it, then we can discuss it like informed adults.

I said I watched and listened for the full hour and five minutes. That's enough!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Mpd won't approve Tut Tut

Why not? She's Hindu, not Mulsim.

https://i.imgur.com/m6od8Nd.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I said I watched and listened for the full hour and five minutes.

Ah, sorry, I missed that.

Which parts did you think were "pretty good"?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think the Borg smells blood in the water, so here it is. Some quotes I liked. Remember though, this wasn't a budget speech. May said some approving, supportive things about the NHS but I don't see that happening in practice so maybe all this really is just "cheese" but I quite like the sound of the menu and the style (-neither tub-thumping nor cowed). I just hope it's all there on the plate when it arrives. Now tear me to shreds.

Quote:
And our first and most important duty is to get Brexit right. The people have decided. We have taken their instruction. Britain is leaving the European Union in March 2019.
I know some find the negotiations frustrating. But if we approach them in the right spirit – in a spirit of cooperation and friendship, with our sights set firmly on the future – I am confident we will find a deal that works for Britain and Europe too. And let’s be clear about the agreement we seek. It’s the agreement I set out earlier this year at Lancaster House and again in my speech in Florence ten days ago.
It’s a new deep and special partnership between a strong, successful European Union and a sovereign United Kingdom. A partnership that allows us to continue to trade and cooperate with each other, because we see shared challenges and opportunities ahead. But a partnership that ensures the United Kingdom is a sovereign nation once again. A country in which the British people are firmly in control.

I believe it is profoundly in all our interests for the negotiations to succeed. But I know that are some are worried whether we are prepared in the event that they do not. It is our responsibility as a government to prepare for every eventuality. And let me reassure everyone in this hall – that is exactly what we are doing.   So a deep and special partnership is our ambition and our offer. And I look forward to that offer receiving a positive response.

And let me say one more thing – because it cannot be said often enough. If you are a citizen of the EU who has made their life in this country, I know you will feel unsettled and nervous. But let me be clear that we value the contribution you make to the life of our country. You are welcome here. And I urge the negotiating teams to reach agreement on this quickly because we want you to stay.    
Whatever the outcome of our negotiations, Britain’s long-term future is bright. For as we look to that future, we do so with the fundamentals of our country strong.

...it is absurd that international organisations say we can’t use the money to help all those that have been hit by the recent Hurricanes in the British Overseas Territories. Many people on those islands have been left with nothing. And if we must change the rules on international aid in order to recognise the particular needs of these communities when disaster strikes, then that’s what we will do.

I will dedicate my premiership to fixing.... our broken housing market.

And we need to bring that same energy to skills training too. Preparing our young people for the world of the future. Setting them up to succeed. Taking skills seriously with new T-levels for post-16 education, a new generation of Technology Institutes in every major city in England – providing the skills local employers need, and more technical training for 16-19 year olds. A first-class technical education system for the first time in the history of Britain.
That’s how we will prepare Britain for an open, global future. I know that some young people worry that Brexit means we’re turning our back on the world. That Britain will no longer be open, but closed. But we reject both the isolationism of the hard-left and those who would have us turn inward, and we choose a global Britain instead.

And to renew the British Dream for a new generation of young people we must also take action on student debt. As Conservatives, we know education can be the key to unlocking the future. And it’s why we want everyone to have the opportunity to benefit from studying more after they leave school. Because it’s good for them and good for the country too.
But today, young people take on a huge amount of debt to do so. And if we’re honest, some don’t know what they get from it in return.
We have listened and we have learned. So we will undertake a major review of university funding and student financing. We will scrap the increase in fees that was due next year, and freeze the maximum rate while the review takes place. And we will increase the amount graduates can earn before they start repaying their fees to £25,000 – putting money back into the pockets of graduates with high levels of debt.  

For while we are in favour of free markets, we will always take action to fix them when they’re broken. We will always take on monopolies and vested interests when they are holding people back. And one of the greatest examples in Britain today is the broken energy market.
Because the energy market punishes loyalty with higher prices. And the most loyal customers are often those with lower incomes: the elderly, people with lower qualifications and people who rent their homes. That’s why next week, this Government will publish a Draft Bill to put a price cap on energy bills. Meeting our manifesto promise.  And bringing an end to rip-off energy prices once and for all. 

Let me be clear: racism, intolerance and hatred has no place in British politics or British society. This party will never permit it. We will always stamp it out. Britain can do better than this. For this country is – and has always been – the home of tolerance, a bastion of freedom and a beacon of democracy. And this city of Manchester knows it better than anyone. Because four months ago, this city came under attack from those who hate our country and despise our values.
The liberty we extend to everyone, whoever they are and wherever they are from. The way in which our society is open, accepting, and tolerant of others. The fact that we celebrate diversity and champion difference. The way we encourage people from all backgrounds and beliefs to live their lives in freedom. To be all they want to be. And because of this hatred, they chose to take out their rage on the defenceless and vulnerable. The innocent and the young.

For beyond this hall, beyond the gossip pages of the newspapers, and beyond the streets, corridors and meeting rooms of Westminster, life continues – the daily lives of working people go on. Many pay little attention to great conferences and gatherings like this. They get up early and go to work. They want to know their job is going to last and that they are going to get paid a fair wage. They want to know that the school their children go to is the best it can be. That they will be cared for when they fall ill. That they will have safety and security as they advance towards old age. 
And they want to believe in the British Dream: that their children will do better than themselves. That they will have the opportunity to lead happy, successful, secure lives. That they will have the chance to be all they want to be. These are the priorities that it is our duty to respond to. The priorities of working people up and down this land. And they must be our only focus.
Not worrying about our job security, but theirs. Not addressing our concerns, but the issues, the problems, the challenges, that concern them. Not focusing on our future, but on the future of their children and their grandchildren – doing everything we can to ensure their tomorrow will be better than our today.  
That is what I am in politics for. To make a difference. To change things for the better. To hand on to the next generation a country that is stronger, fairer and more prosperous. And to renew the British Dream for a new generation again.

This then is the Britain we choose. Not a Britain that retreats behind its borders, but a global Britain that stands tall in the world. A beacon of hope and an example to others. A modern, compassionate Britain that we can all be proud to call home.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:25 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translation follows:

Quote:
And our first and most important duty is to get Brexit right despite me being openly against it. The people have decided. We have taken their instruction and wiped Our royal bony arse with it. Britain is paying multiple tens of billions to lose our voting rights in the European Union in March 2019[/b].

I know some find the negotiations frustrating. But if we approach them in the right spirit – in a spirit of cooperation and friendship, with our sights set firmly on the future – I am confident despite the clear and consistent real world evidence against it we will find a deal that works for Britain and Europe too. And let’s be clear - in a vague, generalised, unclear sense - about the agreement we seek. It’s the agreement I set out earlier this year at Lancaster House and again in my speech in Florence ten days ago.

It’s a good good and good partnership between a good, good European Union and a sovereign in name if not in fact United Kingdom. A partnership that allows us to continue to trade and cooperate with each other, because we see good good and good. But a partnership that ensures the United Kingdom is a sovereign nation once again in everything except sovereignty. A country in which the British people are firmly in control over everything except our laws and courts and borders and what we make,
do, say and think

I believe it is profoundly in all our interests for the negotiations to succeed. But I know that are some are worried whether we are prepared in the event that they do not since we have done not one single thing to prepare. It is our responsibility as a government to prepare for every eventuality. And let me reassure everyone in this hall – that is exactly what we are doing in secret, apparently, which is exact opposite of what a truthful, rational person would do while negotiating on the basis of a No Deal Deal.   So a good and good partnership is our ambition and our offer. And I look forward to that offer receiving a positive response on the seventy-eighth time that I make it, apparently, since it's been scoffed at and spat on for the first seventy seven.

And let me say one more thing – because it cannot be said often enough and I do love to repeat empty words. If you are a citizen of the EU who has made their life in this country, I know you will feel unsettled and nervous. But let me be clear that we value the contribution you make to the life of our country in your regular use of our health, education, welfare, housing and criminal justice systems. You are welcome here and will continue to be so after March 2019 because nothing is going to change. And I urge the negotiating teams to reach agreement on this quickly because we want you to stay ... but.

Whatever the outcome of our negotiations, Britain’s long-term future is good. For as we look to that future, we do so with the goods of our country good.

...it is absurd that international organisations say we can’t use the money to help all those that have been hit by the recent Hurricanes in the British Overseas Territories. Many people on those islands have been left with nothing. And if we must change the rules on international aid in order to recognise the particular needs of these communities when disaster strikes, then that’s what we will do although in the real world I have repeatedly slapped down Priti Patel when she has tried to do anything to change DfID's insane rules and restrictions, and of course the size of our international aid budget is sacrosanct.

I will dedicate my premiership to fixing.... our broken housing market by any means except reducing demand.

And we need to bring that same good to skills training too. Preparing our young people for the world of the future i.e. a life lived in crippling debt. Setting them up to succeed at borrowing. Taking skills goodly with new Move-the-Goalpost-levels for post-16 education, a new generation of Technology Institutes in every major city in England (the Taffies can keep leek farming, the Scotch are already using English money to train their wasters, and nobody cares about Norn Mickland) – providing the skills local employers need, and more technical training for 16-19 year olds. A first-class technical education system for the first time in the history of Britain delivering which which will be my top priority after Brexit, housing, and foreign aid.

That’s how (details to come later) we will prepare Britain for a good, good future. I know that some young people worry that Brexit means we’re turning our back on the world. That Britain will no longer be good, but bad. But we reject both the badness of the hard-left and those who would have us turn bad, and we choose a good Britain instead.

And to renew the British Dream which you are free to infer refers to everything that you personally think is good for a new generation of young people we must also take action on student debt which can be too hard to get into. As Conservatives, we know education can be the key to unlocking the future as opposed to other ideologies who are against education. And it’s why we want everyone to have the opportunity to benefit from studying more after they leave school. Because it’s good for them and good for the country too oh, I actually did say "good" there. But anyway, all education is good, even if it's in History of Grievance Filing in Post Colonial Reparations Studies.

But today, young people take on a huge amount of debt to do so. And if we’re honest, some don’t know what they get from it in return because in many cases it's nothing and they were idiots for taking it on.

We have listened and we have learned and we will appease the cretins rather than telling them straight up that they are wasting their time and money and stealing limited resources from the productive. So we will undertake a major review of university funding and student financing. We will scrap the increase in fees that was due next year, and freeze the maximum rate while the review takes place. And we will increase the amount graduates can earn before they start repaying their fees to £25,000 – putting money back into the pockets of graduates with high levels of debt and rewarding the fools who did Intersectional Basket Weaving degrees at dumping the cost onto the productive minority.  

For while we are in favour of good markets, we will always take action to fix them when they’re bad. We will always take on the successful when they are badnessing people. And one of the greatest examples in Britain today is the bad energy market.

Because the energy market punishes laziness and stupidity with higher prices. And the most lazy, stupid customers are often those with lower incomes: the elderly, people with lower qualifications and people who rent their homes i.e. the lazy and stupid, but I repeat myself. That’s why next week, this Government will publish a Draft Bill to put a price cap on energy bills. Meeting our manifesto promise.  And bringing an end to rip-off energy prices once and for all by adopting an openly socialist policy that takes a dump on the entire concept of the free market

Let me be clear: badness, badness and badness, which you'll note that I conflate as a singular thing has no place in British politics or British society. This party will never permit badnesst. We will always stamp it out. Britain can do better than this. For this country is – and has always been – the home of goodness, a bastion of gooditude and a beacon of goodmenting. And this city of Manchester knows it better than anyone. Because four months ago, this city came under attack from those who hate our goodness and despise our good values.

The liberty we extend to everyone, whoever they are and wherever they are from as long as they don't act as though they have the liberty to withhold their labour. The way in which our society is open, accepting, and tolerant of others even the criminal ones. The fact that we celebrate diversity and champion difference by discriminating against individuals who didn't win the Birthright Diversity Lottery. The way we encourage people from all backgrounds and beliefs to live their lives in freedom even when those beliefs are vile, regressive, and full of the bad, bad and bad that I castigated earlier. To be all they want to be unless they want to be in a white Christian nation. And because of this hatred for our tolerance of their hatred, they chose to take out their rage on the disarmed populace. The young girls being exhorted to "ride dick bicycle".

Here is where a passage would follow if I had any solution to suggest to the problem of our tolerance of intolerance. But apparently I don't, I'm just vaguely against all the badness that as Home Secretary I was fervently in favour of importing into our Dream Nation.

For beyond this hall, beyond the gossip pages of the newspapers, and beyond the streets, corridors and meeting rooms of Westminster which I never leave except to get on a plane to go and buy shoes in Caracas, life continues – the daily lives of working people go on or so I hear. Many pay little attention to great conferences and gatherings like this because they are sick and tired of hearing empty generalities. They generality goodness patronising platitudes about the Little People.

And they want to believe in the British Dream: that their children will do better than themselves obviously not in terms of housing, commuting, taxation, retirement age, but you know, in intangible ways. That they will have the opportunity to lead good, good and good lives. That they will have the chance to be all they want to be again - see the latest issue of Cosmopolitan for more ideas on this.

These are the priorities that it is our duty to respond to. The priorities of working people up and down this land plus overseas territories and in Europe, obvs. And they must be our only focus as well as the other areas of focus which I enumerated earlier. We'll focus with laser-like precision on everything. As long as it's Good.

Not worrying about our job security, but more obvious generalities about goodness, without saying a single thing that I'll actually do to achieve it. And to renew the British Dream that I just invented for a new generation predominantly of non-British migrant children again.

This then is the Britain we choose. Not a Britain that retreats behind its borders since I effectively removed those down as Home Secretary, but a global Britain that stands tall in the world despite being stooped by a crippling burden of economically inactive pensioners and millions of grasping New Britons. A beacon of good and an example of appeasement and incompatible goals to others. A good, good Britain that we can all (except for the millions of new Britons who hate goodness) be proud to call home.

Liken a shaken bottle of Diet Irn Bru, it's all toxic bubblegum flavoured froth, but very little substance.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Liken a shaken bottle of Diet Irn Bru, it's all toxic bubblegum flavoured froth, but very little substance.

Wot? They make Diet Irn Bru? Who the feck buys that?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh! So mpd72 wants a rock star Prime Minister, and Rogerborg is upset they rejected his first draft because it was too pessimistic.
Smile
How the heck did I wind up defending a Tory PM!? Have I reached "that" age?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:23 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Rogerborg is upset they rejected his first draft because it was too realistic.

EFA.

We don't need a Dreamer, we need a Doer.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
How the heck did I wind up defending a Tory PM!?

It's OK, I don't believe that you did.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Wot? They make Diet Irn Bru? Who the feck buys that?

Cleans the smack needles better.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:22 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made laugh, from Reuters on the latest Brexit talks after May speech:

“With Boris Johnson as prime minister, the negotiations would be easier,” one EU diplomat said of the foreign secretary, who has sniped at May’s push for a deal that could see Britain stay bound by some EU rules, at least for a transition period.

“We could save ourselves all this analysing,” the diplomat said, “As he’d just drive the talks straight off the cliff.”
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Sigh! So mpd72 wants a rock star Prime Minister,

Henry Bolton, not Michael Bolton! Wink

Quote:
Henry David Bolton, OBE (born 2 March 1963, Kenya) is a British politician who has been leader of the UK Independence Party (UKIP) since 29 September 2017. He is a former British Army officer and police officer who has worked in a number of roles related to border management strategies. He was awarded the OBE in 2013 for services to international security. He became UKIP leader after winning the party's 2017 leadership election.

Someone who's actually had careers outside of politics and lived in the real world.

He should have gone to a proper party to stand a chance then eh?

Oh, and sneaking in by the Commonwealth backdoor I see Rolling Eyes

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Henry Bolton. Someone who's actually had careers outside of politics and lived in the real world.

What, the Army? Eh?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
Henry Bolton. Someone who's actually had careers outside of politics and lived in the real world.

What, the Army? Eh?

Probably went straight in as officer too from an Oxbridge college or something.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:08 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

Have you been taking READY-FIRE-GOOGLE lessons from mdp72?

He appears to have gone into the Hussars as a cadet, grunt, non-commissioned grunt, then got a commission in the Territorials, before doing 8 years as a copper.

Not really much opportunity to hob nob with corrvpt scvm, unless you mean the type who have Family Matter punch-ups then cry foul when the rozzers break it up.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

Have you been taking READY-FIRE-GOOGLE lessons from mdp72?

He appears to have gone into the Hussars as a cadet, grunt, non-commissioned grunt, then got a commission in the Territorials, before doing 8 years as a copper.

Not really much opportunity to hob nob with corrvpt scvm, unless you mean the type who have Family Matter punch-ups then cry foul when the rozzers break it up.

Interested to know where the punch up thing came from? The same place as the Vegas guy being fitted up by Snackbar?

I remember Paul Nuttall's past story too. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2