Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPz Non starter....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:28 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: GPz Non starter.... Reply with quote

Really need help with this one guys, it's got me totally baffled. Posted the original question last week but here's a summary.

1997 GPz 500 S, 35k on the clock.
Driving along perfectly okay when the engine suddenly cut out. All lights, indicators, horn etc are FINE. No problems. Plenty of petrol.
When I press the starter button all I get is a rapid clicking noise from the starter relay.

Have replaced the starter relay with a new one AND replaced the regulator/rectifier thinking that was the problem. It isn't.

Have checked all the cables/connectors at the relay up to the main fuse box, all okay and I have also checked all the fuses, including the main fuse mounted on the relay.

So I'm rapidly running out of options. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Chris.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you've checked the battery voltage?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a jump lead from the battery directly to the starter to discount all the wiring in between?

And have you tried jumping it from a car.

(And before anyone say it'll hurt it to use a jump from a car, thats bollocks. 12v DC is 12V DC.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorting between the two terminals on the solenoid with a metal object should turn the starter motor over regardless.

Does it?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:14 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing a confirmation that you've checked the main earth strap to the engine, so I'm sitting pat on that diagnosis.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:39 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sudden dying makes me think it's the clutch/stand switch causing the problem.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:56 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not seeing a confirmation that you've checked the main earth strap to the engine, so I'm sitting pat on that diagnosis.

Checked and all fine. Dry connection and tight.

Quote:
Shorting between the two terminals on the solenoid with a metal object should turn the starter motor over regardless.

Does it?

Yes, starter motor cranks the engine but doesn't fire up, also, starter relay is clicking like crazy when I do that.

Quote:
Assuming you've checked the battery voltage?

Yes, Had the battery out and checked with voltmeter, indicates 12V. The battery is less than a year old and all the cells are fine, topped up.

Quote:
The sudden dying makes me think it's the clutch/stand switch causing the problem.

Will check in the morning.

This problem is the most baffling I've every experienced with a bike. Pressing the start button just gets the relay clicking louldy, even though its a brand new part. The engine was running perfectly prior to it suddenly dying. I'll check all the junctions and wires leading to/from the starter relay and RR tomorrow. If anyone has any other thoughts just pile in and let me know thanks.

Chris

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:59 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ignition switches can partially fail on those bikes. I've had three go in such a way as it gives you all the dash lights and turns over the ignition but no spark.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:21 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four weeks off the road with this problem and it's driving me insane Twisted Evil

Have replaced the starter relay with a new one AND replaced the regulator/rectifier thinking that was the problem. It isn't.

Have checked all the cables/connectors at the relay up to the main fuse box, all okay and I have also checked all the fuses, including the main fuse mounted on the relay.

Installed a known good junction box (thinking it may be the relay diode, it isn't). Totally fucked at the moment, absolutely no closer to resolving this problem, exactly the same issue - Press the start button, starter motor turns over for about 2 seconds and then the starter relay makes a loud clicking noise. Battery is okay, electrics tested with a voltmeter and for circuit continuity, everything is fine. New rectifier, new starter relay, all lights etc work perfectly. What the fuck ???????

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:36 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Have you tried a jump lead from the battery directly to the starter to discount all the wiring in between?

And have you tried jumping it from a car.

(And before anyone say it'll hurt it to use a jump from a car, thats bollocks. 12v DC is 12V DC.)

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:45 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and yes Sad

Battery also fully charged and checked, also did some further circuit tests this morning checking for short circuits between the battery, starter relay and starter motor. Everything is absolutely spot on, really good connections, strong signal from the circuit tester, bike is always dry stored etc. Methinks it will be going for spare parts soon... Evil or Very Mad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:08 - 14 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
Yes and yes Sad

Battery also fully charged and checked, also did some further circuit tests this morning checking for short circuits between the battery, starter relay and starter motor. Everything is absolutely spot on, really good connections, strong signal from the circuit tester, bike is always dry stored etc. Methinks it will be going for spare parts soon... Evil or Very Mad

So, did it start with lead directly to starter?

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:55 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side stand switch. I had drained the battery below its minimum for cranking too. Rewired the switch, charged the battery and double checked all the wiring - engine burst into life first press of the button Very Happy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:48 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Not I'm one to say 'I told yo so' but....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1