Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

September 2017 new registration statistics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:46 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: September 2017 new registration statistics Reply with quote

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistics/Press-Statistics-201709-September-2017.pdf

tl;dr version - Pale

BMW get their usual new-reg-plate boost, but Honda have a stormer of a month, flogging 523 Africa Twin 1000s to scoop the adventure sport category and the 650-1000 capacity.

But the numbers are 24% down on last year, with only 650-1000 engines holding their ground, helped by the Honda.

The top selling "bike" is the 125-650 category is the Yamaha X-MAX 3 with a whopping 74 units.

Sad times ahead for folk looking for used bargains, methinks.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:59 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wut:

Suzuki 535

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were pushin the africa twin hard .. hence the road show test ride event tourin the country .. droppin the price helped too .. but its too big and not powerful enough with not so good handlin.. frankly that cb1000r abs i have is far better ..... just need something small for the off roadin....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:13 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limitations aside, it has sold well.

OK, it's been registered fairly well.

Suzuki be all like "Y U NO buy V-Strom 1000 tho?"

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Africa twin sales have got to be down to it's £36 a month and free luggage deals. I suppose being a PCP the real profit comes at the end of the deal when they have an immaculate low mileage second hand bike to sell on.

Other than that, the figures are pretty depressing. You have to be pretty dedicated to go through the hoops to get a full licence now, throw in a couple more stumbling blocks and motorcycling will be limited to pretty well commuters you can ride on a CBT, old farts with full licences and thieves in balaclavas.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:30 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Those Africa twin sales have got to be down to it's £36 a month and free luggage deals. I suppose being a PCP the real profit comes at the end of the deal when they have an immaculate low mileage second hand bike to sell on.

If there's a market for them at 3 years old.

I'd love to know who's taking on the risk of that final price-to-own payment that might never be paid. Is it the manufacturers, or the finance companies?

Eh, we keep saying that, but it doesn't seem to be bothering manufacturers, with Honda apparently now edging out BMW at the game.

Keep cranking up the deposit, keep lowering the monthly rental prices, and for the love of allah, don't let the punters work out the price-per-mile over the rental period.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second hand bike prices have been rising for the last couple of years at least imo, perhaps even longer.

I bought my Sprint with full history for £4500 in 2012; 4 years later with gaps in history and a load more miles it was advertised by the dealer at 3750. I bought my KTM 18 months ago for 5250 and looking now you'd struggle to buy an older one without the Akras and the panniers for less than 6000.

Sold wife's YBR for 750 3 years ago and it appears I'd need 900 quid to buy one similar back despite it being 3 years older now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Suzuki be all like "Y U NO buy V-Strom 1000 tho?"

have you actually seen a V Strom 1000? They are bloody ugly. Utilitarian, but I wouldn't say it's an adventure bike or a true competitor to the Africa Twin, or GS. More of a commuter with some off road inspired details. Did I mention they're ugly as sin?

(Pity really as the motor is awesome and they pull stonking wheelies)

Honda are only just catching up with Africa Twin availability after their factory was smashed by an earthquake IIRC.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:17 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
have you actually seen a V Strom 1000?

In the wild? Well, no, someone would have to buy one first.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, that is catastrophically ugly. Looks like a Michael Jackson plastic surgeon has had a go at it - just keep sticking bits in random places until it looks messed up enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't make for happy reading, however, car sales are also sliding quite noticeably, they too are down around 9% overall. Which, numerically, will be substantially more in lost sales than motorbikes.

The drops will be for various reasons, but, perhaps we're beginning to see a change in vehicle ownership, with a move away to public transport, short term rentals or even the uber effect..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Doesn't make for happy reading, however, car sales are also sliding quite noticeably, they too are down around 9% overall. Which, numerically, will be substantially more in lost sales than motorbikes.

The drops will be for various reasons, but, perhaps we're beginning to see a change in vehicle ownership, with a move away to public transport, short term rentals or even the uber effect..

I'm more of the idea people who buy cars (rather than leasing or PCP) are keeping them longer just because of costs. Bikes are more worrying because they are either for commuting or toys and in times of hardship, toys go first.

I would love to be able to go jump on a bus when and where I want but the service round my way is utter pants and too expensive. The government LOVE cars. They are a cash cow in so many respects. As if anyone believes the congestion charge is actually about reducing emissions or congestion, it's another tax.

Maybe you are right about London and other big cities but anywhere else you need private transport.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm more of the idea people who buy cars (rather than leasing or PCP) are keeping them longer just because of costs. Bikes are more worrying because they are either for commuting or toys and in times of hardship, toys go first.

I would love to be able to go jump on a bus when and where I want but the service round my way is utter pants and too expensive. The government LOVE cars. They are a cash cow in so many respects. As if anyone believes the congestion charge is actually about reducing emissions or congestion, it's another tax.

Maybe you are right about London and other big cities but anywhere else you need private transport.

You do have a point, about rural areas, but, in cities, which is also where the bulk of cars & motorbikes are sold, there does appear to be a shift happening, doesn't account for all the drop in sales .. For bikes, alot of that is the increase in the bike prices, due to euro4, coupled with the hoops you now have to jump through to get an A license, and in the case of cars, it's the extra ved you are now landed with on new cars.. and the general cost of owning vehicle, fuel, insurance, LEZ charge (most likely coming to a city near you in the not too distant future) etc ..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:31 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
doesn't account for all the drop in sales

What drop in sales?

Vehicle sales had been rising steadily for years.

Bike sales have fallen this year but I think we can thank Euro 4 for some of that.

Car sales have fallen for the last 6 months, which is a belated #BlameBrexit: such uncertainty, very fret.

Diesel sales plummeted in September as everyone got twitchy over the prospect of punative taxation and prohibition for their soot belchers.

Ascribing those falls to a modal shift to bus w​ankerism is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:10 - 09 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The government LOVE cars.

I dunno about that. Getting a bit tin foil hat here but I don't think they like the masses moving about, they'd rather we all stayed within a 40 mile radius of home, and in the case of cities never left. If the future's electric (which means no more long road trips), that'll suit them just fine.

Polarbear wrote:
They are a cash cow in so many respects.

So is smoking, until everyone's in hospital with emphysema.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
doesn't account for all the drop in sales

Car sales have fallen for the last 6 months, which is a belated #BlameBrexi: such uncertainty, very fret.

It won't all be brexit, there's the seemingly never ending increasing insurance costs, I'm lucky in that my car insurance, only went up a few quid, to around £250 .. But the camper insurance jumped by nearly £100 this year, I'll get to see what treat is in store for the bike insurance in December ..

Plus, aside from electric cars, most new cars will have a fixed £140.00 rate after the first 12 months, which, again, is a noticeable increase over the £0.00 some cars used to cost, or even, the expensive £30.00 ved I have to pay for my car.

Then take into account, most cities and largish towns, will be doing all they can to keep cars out ..

So, yeah, brexit may be a factor, but it's far from the only reason. Petrol car sales have also dropped, obviously not by as much as diesel cars ..

Other reasons are, more and more people are also working from home, so, don't necessarily need to own a car, but it might now be more cost effective to hire or uber or car share .... when needed ..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:15 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
there's the seemingly never ending increasing insurance costs

Eh, mine went down, while increasing the value of my fleet and the type of cover.

linuxyeti wrote:
most new cars will have a fixed £140.00 rate after the first 12 months, which, again, is a noticeable increase over the £0.00 some cars used to cost, or even, the expensive £30.00 ved I have to pay for my car.

That is a fair point. I've just bought an 11 month old £30 VEDmobile, and while it wasn't a deal maker or breaker, it's certainly a relief to "only" be robbed of that amount compared to the £170+ I was paying on the older one being replaced or the £140 I'd pay on a brand-newer replacement.

However, if you need a car, you need a car, and you'll grumble and pay the £140.

linuxyeti wrote:
more and more people are also working from home

Got stats?

Oh, folk will also put off purchases when they know their mortgage payments are going to rise, which it looks like they will soon.

Again, not attributable to bus-wa​nkerism / work-from-home-ism.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales of rail season tickets, are also starting to fall at least around the south east, and shampoo companies are reporting a drop in sales, attributed in part to increased home working, as well, as a decline in smoking

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

However, if you need a car, you need a car, and you'll grumble and pay the £140.

But that's just it, fewer and fewer people *need* a car. Mine's now pretty much a luxury, the bikes cover pretty much all of my travel, aside from skip runs. And the missus car, also sits on the drive 6 days a week. So, no need to replace it, especially as the VED on that is £0.00. But, if for any reason we were to lose either 1 or both of the cars, it wouldn't be the same hardship it was even just 10 months ago !!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
The government LOVE cars.

I dunno about that. Getting a bit tin foil hat here but I don't think they like the masses moving about, they'd rather we all stayed within a 40 mile radius of home, and in the case of cities never left. If the future's electric (which means no more long road trips), that'll suit them just fine.

Polarbear wrote:
They are a cash cow in so many respects.

So is smoking, until everyone's in hospital with emphysema.

The governments love of cars is from the money making side, nothing else. Car sales tax, road tax, insurance tax, traffic fines, parking fines, congestion charges, petrol tax, etc. etc. The list goes on.

As for smoking, I read that the government makes way more in tax than it costs the NHS. This bears it out but then puts a price on other aspects of smoking. Quite interesting.

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-smoking-cost-much-it-makes-treasury/

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Sales of rail season tickets, are also starting to fall at least around the south east, and shampoo companies are reporting a drop in sales, attributed in part to increased home working, as well, as a decline in smoking

Thats actually quite interesting. Do you have any have reference for that.. not saying untrue, but would be good to have a reference point before I use that stat.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Thats actually quite interesting. Do you have any have reference for that.. not saying untrue, but would be good to have a reference point before I use that stat.

You ask, and I provide Laughing Laughing

https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/25719/passenger-rail-usage-2017-18-q1.pdf

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Sales of rail season tickets, are also starting to fall at least around the south east

That's probably more to do with Oyster zones being extended out and the rail companies not making season tickets worthwhile any more. I haven't had a season ticket in a couple of years now and the missus ditched hers off this year too - we're door to door on Oyster. By the time you take your holidays, the odd days off sick, journeys off site etc out of the mix it's very little in the difference.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

You ask, and I provide Laughing Laughing

https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/25719/passenger-rail-usage-2017-18-q1.pdf

And the shampoo stat lol?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

That's probably more to do with Oyster zones being extended out and the rail companies not making season tickets worthwhile any more. I haven't had a season ticket in a couple of years now and the missus ditched hers off this year too - we're door to door on Oyster. By the time you take your holidays, the odd days off sick, journeys off site etc out of the mix it's very little in the difference.

Yes, I agree, that wil have some bearing on season tickets, however,

Passenger journeys fall by 2.7% compared to 2016-17 Q1

The four largest operators journey numbers decrease between 5.3% and 8.8%

So, even taking into account different ticket options, the number of actual passenger journeys fell..

Also, I now only work in the office 1 day a week, and, if I want I can reduce that further. The others that left my previous employer at the same time I did, all now work from home at least 3 days a week for each of their new employers. My sister in law, has been told, her main office is closing down, and at the new building, nobody will have their own desk, and that remote working is encouraged, as, should everybody turn up at the office, they won't all have a desk ..

So, yes, from my experience the home/remote working is anecdotal, however, I probably know more people who now work from home, than work in the office Monday to Friday ..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2